20 - Sergi Roberto

Cule4life

The Culest
Dembele has proved himself to be unreliable and inmature concerning injuries

It's been more than a month which is enough time to heal a hamstring. And it was Valverde who played him last time knowing fully well the risks (which he admitted in a post match interview)

Let's not assume anything and leave it to the medical team.

Havesaks

It's been more than a month which is enough time to heal a hamstring. And it was Valverde who played him last time knowing fully well the risks (which he admitted in a post match interview)

Let's not assume anything and leave it to the medical team.

and after we lead 3-1 valverde several times asked dembele if he shouldnt be subbed off but he didnt want to. Also his second injury, when he was out for 4 months, reports from our medical staff claimed that he got injuried due to immaturity.

its enought time to heal, but injuries follow up on each other, and thats why players should be eased into it, especially when they are immature like dembele, anot play a season-deciding game from the start. He will play 60 min in a low pressure game vs huseca, and have a sub-role (maybe) vs united to offer some counter threat.

Havesaks

Rakitic is a (poor) DM in all but name these days. BBZ and his posse keep crying Arthur doesn't make forward passes. Coutinho is in no man's land these days. Busquets can't make a tackle to save his life. So who's supposed to be doing the attacking?

Coutinho, messi, suarez, alba - attacking. Arthur will play more offensive and rakitic as well. rkaitic is a big game player, and he was clearly instructed by valverde to not go to much forward. And the team was okay with our 1-0 lead, thats also why we didnt do much attacking wise, besides that messi got knocked out by smalling. also
roberto will provide some attacking compared to semedo.

Potroh

For instance, look at Semedo's and Alba's heatmaps:

Can be quite illustrative for the average fan but it tells little to nothing!
You simply can NOT compare Semedo and Alba, with or without heat-maps.
Alba has a position-wise more or less true winger in front of him, Semedo does not have that "luxury"...

As far as attacking goes, Semedo can do a back-pass, or finding Rakitic, or looking for Messi in the middle (already manned by two) or maybe and rarely look for Suarez, who is either offside or standing in his unmistakable position facing backwards and waiting to fall.

Furthermore Semedo is not a bad dribbler, whereas both Alba and Roberto have no talents for that, at all. The coach doesn't use this difference.

Imo, one of the main reasons why Roberto is the prefered option with RW Messi.

Hope you don't want to say that Messi plays as a winger...
Messi never plays on the RW. He only starts from there and it is a huge difference for a RB playing behind that abandoned space...

underoath

Banned
Alba has a position-wise more or less true winger in front of him, Semedo does not have that "luxury"...

As far as attacking goes, Semedo can do a back-pass, or finding Rakitic, or looking for Messi in the middle (already manned by two) or maybe and rarely look for Suarez, who is either offside or standing in his unmistakable position facing backwards and waiting to fall.

Furthermore Semedo is not a bad dribbler, whereas both Alba and Roberto have no talents for that, at all. The coach doesn't use this difference.

Messi never plays on the RW. He only starts from there and it is a huge difference for a RB playing behind that abandoned space...

And who is this true winger in Alba's side ? And seriously you call Roberto no talent at all, dribbling ? Yeah you love Semedo but I don't know why need to downplay other Barca players for ur narrative

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent

Roberto is a much better dribbler than Semedo is.

Havesaks

And who is this true winger in Alba's side ? And seriously you call Roberto no talent at all, dribbling ? Yeah you love Semedo but I don't know why need to downplay other Barca players for ur narrative

Well it has been quiet clear for a while that Robertos offensive skill set are easier to manifest them in this barca side, because his more agile dribbling style with better close control makes it possible for him to go through the middle, or just make a dribble and pass the ball. He is faster in the first few meters, and can participate in passing game in the middle-right side.

Semedos dribbling isn't worse, just not suited for this barca side as it is now. He is a rigid, fast runner, and if a winger creates space for him, he can be deadly running down the lines and also make a dribble and run. Problem right now, is that the right attacking side due to messes role, often is dead, so when he before make forward runs he would always find himself in nomansland. And can't go to middle as well because he isn't an agile player to connect on little space. Rakitic' somewhat static style also doesn't help him. If there was a running RM who could keep up with him, like de jong, it would also be easier for him.

Alba, is a totally different story, different level. His profile would actually be perfect for our rb, because he can both run down the line and play through the middle. and so compensate for gab create by messi. wished we had clone right footed alba. :(

Potroh

And who is this true winger in Alba's side?

Whoever is playing on the left.
On the right however the RB is alone most of the time...

And seriously you call Roberto no talent at all, dribbling ? Yeah you love Semedo but I don't know why need to downplay other Barca players for ur narrative

For sure Roberto won't enter into the history books as having been even a mediocre a dribbler... Semedo has a rarely used, but natural talent for that.

Otherwise I don't really love any contemporary footballer, sorry for that. I love some with who I played together - ages ago.
Loving a player for me is a personal matter, although I do like Roberto as much as I like Semedo, but both for different qualities...

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Hmmm... Let it be...
I'm truly sorry if you were capable of that much differentiation only.

What does that has to do with differentiation? I pointed out the dribbling exclusively. Roberto is a better dribbler in the sense that he is better at getting past a player. I would say that Semedo's ball control is more refined, but Roberto has the ability to glide through numerous players with quick bursts and conduct the ball into dangerous areas, which is a rare attribute, and someone has rightfully pointed out that it is his only "elite" quality. Semedo, whilst is more tricky on the ball, is not as effective at dribbling past his man, although obviously good compared to other rightbacks.

Potroh

I pointed out the dribbling exclusively. Roberto is a better dribbler in the sense that he is better at getting past a player. I would say that Semedo's ball control is more refined, but Roberto has the ability to glide through numerous players with quick bursts and conduct the ball into dangerous areas, which is a rare attribute, and someone has rightfully pointed out that it is his only "elite" quality. Semedo, whilst is more tricky on the ball, is not as effective at dribbling past his man, although obviously good compared to other rightbacks.

I would almost agree, apart from the dribbling part.
What you call as "gliding though" is indeed his best offensive weapon, but it is not dribbling...
It's an unexpected move by a relatively slow player, who is otherwise good and even more confident, but it has nothing to do with dribbling.
Dribbling is what Messi does, often Coutinho does, and even Busquests does with very quick ball control, where the opponent "thinks" he will end up in a position, but he actually turns to a different one.

Roberto cuts through (or between) two players, it is unexpected, zealous and brave, but it's not real dribbling as such...
Semedo however has better (not perfect or even outstanding) dribbling skills, which one could easily see during his first 2 or 3 Barca matches, when he had tried such a thing. After that, most probably he was told not to do it, so rather he makes those dull back-passes but the skill is in him, believe me.
Semedo, before all, lacks confidence and that is the reason why he tries less and less compared to what he would be capable of.

(If one carefully watched his moves without the ball recently, could certainly notice that he made very promising fast runs alone, but for some reason never actually got the ball. That also shows the level of confidence of the other players - in him). Semedo would be a much better player in a team that is faster, more straightforward, compared to the outdated and boring taka-tiki-chiki-wuki...

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I would almost agree, apart from the dribbling part.
What you call as "gliding though" is indeed his best offensive weapon, but it is not dribbling...
It's an unexpected move by a relatively slow player, who is otherwise good and even more confident, but it has nothing to do with dribbling.
Dribbling is what Messi does, often Coutinho does, and even Busquests does with very quick ball control, where the opponent "thinks" he will end up in a position, but he actually turns to a different one.

Roberto cuts through (or between) two players, it is unexpected, zealous and brave, but it's not real dribbling as such...
Semedo however has better (not perfect or even outstanding) dribbling skills, which one could easily see during his first 2 or 3 Barca matches, when he had tried such a thing. After that, most probably he was told not to do it, so rather he makes those dull back-passes but the skill is in him, believe me.
Semedo, before all, lacks confidence and that is the reason why he tries less and less compared to what he would be capable of.

(If one carefully watched his moves without the ball recently, could certainly notice that he made very promising fast runs alone, but for some reason never actually got the ball. That also shows the level of confidence of the other players - in him). Semedo would be a much better player in a team that is faster, more straightforward, compared to the outdated and boring taka-tiki-chiki-wuki...

A dribble in football is an act of getting past a player with the ball at your feet. Does not matter whether you just kicked it and ran after it like Bale or Kaka in his prime, a dribble is a dribble. We simply do not agree on the terminology.

serghei

Roberto and Semedo are both fine dribblers, albeit with different styles. Semedo uses feints and tricks, and Roberto has those brave incursions where he carries the ball and breaks the lines of the other team.

Home of Barca Fans