20 - Sergi Roberto

Donatello

Maybe Madrid pulled the trigger on Odriozola to prevent us from taking him.

Odrizola doesn't match the profile that we need for RB.

We are looking for a young, cheap player who can be Semedo's backup.

Odrizola was gonna cost 35-40M, plus he would've wanted to start.

Kul_z

I like this guy so much. He actually tried so hard just to be part of this team, and doesnt seem to moan at all about playing out of position. I'd like to see more of him in the iniesta role behind coutinho in 433 formation.preseason games at least.
Mats
Semedo pique umtiti alba
Busi
Rakitic roberto
Dembouz messi coutinho

I think its quite balanced and bob workrate and his ability to penetrate between the lines is something ev should try

Calidad

I didn’t see the match, but I’d love for him to be given a chance in midfield (not RM, RW, RB), but as a CM or DM. I still think it’s his best position.

I don’t believe he will be a starting XI player, but I think he’d be a reliable rotation option with Busquets/Rakitic/Arthur.

Busquets, Alena, Arthur, Rakitic, Roberto, Coutinho would be a great set of midfield options going into the season. If someone like De Jong came in, that’d just top it off. 7 players for 3 positions, with the likes of Roberto, Coutinho and De Jong able to operate in other areas of the pitch if needed as well.

I’d sell Gomes (won’t happen), D Suarez & Rafinha if decent offers came in.

PhilS

He ran the team yesterday, the manager on the field. Must play more midfield. Rotate Busquets, Rakitic and Roberto in the 4-4-2. Busquets and Rakitic will play better with more rest, especially late in the season.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Just sign a backup RB and move Roberto back to midfield. He has the stamina to be the work-horse we need to add balance.

BBZ8800

Even though Arthur is a controller, yesterday it seemed that Roberto is our brain, our captain and that all actions are going through him.
He was running like crazy, playing like some b2b cdm.
No offense to Busi, but there is so much more pace and movement when Roberto is a Cdm.
Maybe Busi and "slow down" style from 2009 are a part of our problem?
With Busi, we play in a predictable way.
With Roberto, we look like faster, more combative Barca.
Not to mention how Roberto is better against fast counters than slow Busi.

Without Busi, Messi, Suarez and older heavyweights, our team was flying all over the pitch.
10 players played rondos and fast actions.
Busi will slow us down.
All balls will need to be be passed to Messi.
Luis will ruin every first touch action.

This is not a negative post.
I have actually more hopes in our team post Messi and Busi, after these friendlies.
They are bringing so much to our team, but to some extent, they are slowing down our play and when Messi is on the field, other players are less free to do whatever they want in attack.

I am actually looking forward to more matches this season when we will play without 2 out of Busquets, Messi, Suarez on a field.

I am open to see this faster team with fast Rb Semedo, Cdm Roberto, Malcom, Dembele etc.
Way more pace and direct, efficient football.

Maybe there is something about Real's pace and more directness in midfield in the last 5 years compared to: slow down the play whenever possible and wait until the opponent parks the bus?

Last edited:

Neeraj

Even though Arthur is a controller, yesterday it seemed that Roberto is our brain, our captain and that all actions are going through him.
No offense to Busi, but there is so much more pace and movement when Roberto is a Cdm.

Without Busi, Messi, Suarez and older heavyweights, our team was flying all over the pitch.
Busi will slow us down.

I have actually more hopes in our team post Messi and Busi, after these friendlies.
They are bringing so much to our team, but to some extent, they are slowing down our play and when Messi is on the field, other players are less free to do whatever they want in attack.

I am actually looking forward to more matches this season when we will play without 2 out of Busquets, Messi, Suarez on a field.

I am open to see this faster team with fast Rb Semedo, Cdm Roberto, Malcom, Dembele etc.

Maybe there is something about Real's pace and more directness in midfield in the last 5 years compared to: slow down the play whenever possible and wait until the opponent parks the bus?

I agree about the pace. You simply cannot play at the pace that we do and expect to do well in CL. Teams do not park the bus against us and "open up" against Madrid. We let or even make teams park the bus with stale possession. With a pacy RB, RW and a more agile striker + midfield, there's bound to be more attacking danger we can provide, not to mention we can defend against pacer better.

I don't classify Roberto as a quick player though; he only looks quick because our frame of reference is Busquets. However Busquets brings something unique to us; so how do you play both of them? Well there's only one option, and that's to play Roberto instead of Rakitic. But I don't see Valverde doing that.

wisconsincule

Busi will slow us down.

Agree. This may be an unpopular opinion but I don’t think I would give Busi a massive new contract. He is excellent but football has changed and he is 30. I’d rather some fresh legs in that position.

Home of Barca Fans