20 - Sergi Roberto

JamDav1982

Think RB suits him more than midfield.

His strengths are his movement off the ball and driving into space. Does that more from full back than would in midfield.

He was class yesterday.

henias

Although he's still not aggressive enough for my liking, he still manages to make more good openings for teammates from his RB position than Rakitic. Only reason i can think of why he isn't played in midfield is Valverde's obsession with keeping tight defense and Rakitics is really good holding mid. Roberto does fail in defense more than Raki, but on the other hand he sometimes creates spaces for teammates in attack out of nothing. Probably a big dilemma for conservative Valverde, when choosing whom to play where.

If he plays a 442, he shouldnt play Roberto as a RB as he gets caught upfield alot. Semedo shud be in a 442 set up and Rakitic shudnt be RM. In a 443, Roberto definitely can play RB. But again in RW, Vidal isnt quite suited. Consodering how versatile Roberto is, I would play him as a RW and he doesnt need to care abt tracking back with Semedo covering him.

ASordidGod

Yeah, he was excellent in an attacking sense. Still too timid in defence imo though, too passive. He's scared of being done for pace and so backs off too much, gives up far too much space. Do like him as a player, however I'm just not sure where he fits. Would like to see him given an extended run either RM or CM (though latter is never going to happen it seems), see if can stake a spot for himself.

Gnidrologist

Yeah, Poulinho is certainly a man for an away Classico. Can't be budged by thugery. This is imo his main strenght. Even Rakitic seems sometimes overwhelmed under tight pressing. P has superior technique even if he hasn't the that creative spark we have been so used to in our best mids in the past. His ball retention is good and physically he's our best juggernaut after Umtity.

Horatio

You're welcome
Think Paulinho would do well in a Clasico, also mentally-wise. Doesn't seem to be one to succumb easily due to pressure.

PhilS

The test of truth for a RB is playing against RM. I'm sure he will start at RB in el Clasico, he has convincingly won this job. The right side MF in the 4-4-2 (Rak) will have to track all the way back to help S. Roberto with the likes of Marcelo and CR7. Paulinho in midfield will help the entire defense, this will be needed.

xXKonan

The team is more tightened up than compared to a year ago which should help bob out a lot.

Last season that team was so open that the back line was pressured way to easily and all it took is a couple of moves to expose it. thankfully if there's one thing that I like what Valverde has done is he tightened the team tactically which helped minimized the problems we have had under Lucho.

Potroh

Last season that team was so open that the back line was pressured way to easily and all it took is a couple of moves to expose it. thankfully if there's one thing that I like what Valverde has done is he tightened the team tactically which helped minimized the problems we have had under Lucho.

The last season the defense was much worse, no doubt about that.
But if you carefully analyze the reasons, the most important two factors were:
- Ter Stegen's unreliable form and his astounding freezes
and
- Busquets's injury and horrible form in the beginning and at the end of the season.
Otherwise nothing much has changed back there, apart from Busquets playing really well and Ter Stegen's amazing change and form.

Valverde carries the team towards a safer, more defense-oriented play, and so far it works (with less goals taken and much less scored) as far as the results are concerned, but do not be carried away by the mere points, because on the long run, it can easily be counterproductive, specially when one looks at the rather predictable attacking formation, apart from Messi...

Home of Barca Fans