20 - Sergi Roberto

xXKonan

His dribbling is pretty underrated and his ability to bring the ball up the field and make this runs is so good.

I think he would do well in a free role myself.

Truthist

His runs kind of remind me of Kaka on his pomp, obviously not in his league but he seems to effortlessly leave players trailing in his wake.

Windhook

His touch on the ball is what impresses me lately. The other stuff - stamina and runs, he already showcased them in previous seasons. His weak spot is the defence and always will be, stop playing him RB. Honestly I had hopes Aleix Vidal would be great addition as RB this season. I'm really let down. Aleix is definitely on his way out of Barcelona next summer.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
His runs kind of remind me of Kaka on his pomp, obviously not in his league but he seems to effortlessly leave players trailing in his wake.
I know right?

Don't know why people don't use him in the RM role more often. His best performance ever has been that match where he was playing as RM (against Real) after all!
He is a bit like Kaka with his ability to go on those lung-bursting runs and can give in those occasional killer through-balls.....

I hope we won't lose out on him. Definitely, deserves to start in midfield ahead of Rakitic and Gomes

Truthist

I know right?

Don't know why people don't use him in the RM role more often. His best performance ever has been that match where he was playing as RM (against Real) after all!

That was an insane performance. Neymar rightly took the plaudits but Roberto was everywhere on the right. I'm surprised he's rarely played their since.

Neeraj

It's ludicrous how obvious it is to everyone that Roberto would be so much better (and the team for it) anywhere but in defense, but Valverde.... :benitez:

It's ludicrous how obvious it is to everyone that Roberto would be so much better (and the team for it) anywhere but in defense, but Valverde.... :benitez:

It is ludicrous how oblivious you are to the fact that Sergi Roberto does not have a similar playstyle to Xavi, Busquets, Thiago or Iniesta. Sergi Roberto is a player suited to the wide areas. He does not have the intelligence nor the awareness nor the ultratechnical skill needed to operate closer to the centre of the park in a team of Barca's ilk. Moreover, he is very intelligent in the wide areas: in fact he is seriously smart in the wide areas. He knows how to contract or widen the pitch. He is suited to the wider areas, his playstyle and intelligence orientation is more like Lahm. He would be an absolute failure in the centre.

Xaviniesta

It is ludicrous how oblivious you are to the fact that Sergi Roberto does not have a similar playstyle to Xavi, Busquets, Thiago or Iniesta. Sergi Roberto is a player suited to the wide areas. He does not have the intelligence nor the awareness nor the ultratechnical skill needed to operate closer to the centre of the park in a team of Barca's ilk. Moreover, he is very intelligent in the wide areas: in fact he is seriously smart in the wide areas. He knows how to contract or widen the pitch. He is suited to the wider areas, his playstyle and intelligence orientation is more like Lahm. He would be an absolute failure in the centre.

can you explain why almost all his runs are from the midfield though?

Neeraj

Xavi, Busquets, Thiago, Iniesta. Funny how you left out Rakitic there, because that's the role everyone expects to see him play at, not an Iniesta or Busquets role. If you're telling me Rakitic has some superior intelligence or awareness over Roberto, well then :lol:.

Roberto as a RM will be fantastic. He can link-up on the wide areas with the RB, have dummy overlaps with the RB taking up the RM spot when he does go up the wings. We've seen it before when Alves used to do that as well.

Also, you don't seem to have seen any of his trademark runs, most of which are right through the middle of the pitch; something we won't be able to see much of if he's kept out wide.

Horatio

You're welcome
How do you guys rate Sergi Roberto?

I never rated him highly but he had my sympathy for his work ethic and no complaining. I thought his crosses last season was sluggish but he seemed to have improved on those. Also seems more confident and better control on the ball. You guys think he will reach Barca level in time? He is 25 years already.

Ursegor

World Champion
How do you guys rate Sergi Roberto?

I never rated him highly but he had my sympathy for his work ethic and no complaining. I thought his crosses last season was sluggish but he seemed to have improved on those. Also seems more confident and better control on the ball. You guys think he will reach Barca level in time? He is 25 years already.

Great squad player, not starter material for a team that wants to be top 3. Like Paulinho.

Alik

Considering Roberto was the starting RB last season, he technically is a starter material for a team wanting to be top 3.

behindbrowneyes

Great squad player, not starter material for a team that wants to be top 3. Like Paulinho.

I'm sceptical about Sergi being a permanent CM starter, but I would like to see him 10 games a row there because Rakitic had already too many chances to prove that he still has something to offer. Which he didn't. Time to move on and give our La Masia product a fair chance on his best position.

Home of Barca Fans