20 - Sergi Roberto

JamDav1982

You left out Gomes. A lot of midfielders for two positions where one already is a starter. If he blocked Gomes' transfer as the media claim which I have doubts about, it's fair to say Gomes will get a lot of chances too and so would obviously Paulinho and Rakitic.

I cannot see everyone staying happy. I think the most likely scenario would be Roberto not getting as minutes as he'd want and using that clause in his contract to his benefit next summer.

Hopefully Roberto is on a new contract by then.

Jombi

You left out Gomes. A lot of midfielders for two positions where one already is a starter. If he blocked Gomes' transfer as the media claim which I have doubts about, it's fair to say Gomes will get a lot of chances too and so would obviously Paulinho and Rakitic.

I cannot see everyone staying happy. I think the most likely scenario would be Roberto not getting as minutes as he'd want and using that clause in his contract to his benefit next summer.

Gotta love those clauses. Shame that we cant use those clauses to our benefit some time and sign talented players from Bayern, PSG or other clubs.

Messi983

Also, where will Iniesta play if we'll really go with 4-2-3-1?

God Serena

Iniesta needs to spend a significant amount of time on the bench either way. He's past it and his decline only grows more noticeable every year. He's dropped in quality as he aged much faster than Xavi did.

khaled_a_d

Messi back up

As it stands right now Roberto is our starting RB.
When we sign a new RB we can discuss Sergi role in midfield and his minutes etc. And even if we sign one he will get a lot of minutes as RB.
4231 means Vidal will play more and more as RW, 433 means more open spots in midfield. There will be departures too

SocalBarcaFan

So now that we officially signed Semedo can we get back to talking about Roberto in the midfield? The first choice midfield 3 if we do use the 4-3-3 is still probably Iniesta - Busquets - Rakitic. But I think eventually if we don't bring in any new players Roberto will take over Rakitic spot. Even if he doesn't he should still get plenty of time with Iniesta needing lots of rest and to give Busquets a breather. No matter what he should be no lower than 4th on the depth chart in terms of Barca midfield options IMO

Jombi

So now that we officially signed Semedo can we get back to talking about Roberto in the midfield? The first choice midfield 3 if we do use the 4-3-3 is still probably Iniesta - Busquets - Rakitic. But I think eventually if we don't bring in any new players Roberto will take over Rakitic spot. Even if he doesn't he should still get plenty of time with Iniesta needing lots of rest and to give Busquets a breather. No matter what he should be no lower than 4th on the depth chart in terms of Barca midfield options IMO

Yes, hopefully he starts in midfield if we dont sign a midfielder.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Would be even better had he played in his natural position. Plus... that last gasp goal against PSG will be remembered for eternity. :)

He really is, for me, our midfield "signing" for this season as we finally bought a RB.

PhilS

I agree, buying Semedo improves the Barca midfield a lot. S. Roberto will no longer be needed for 50 games a year at RB, he can now be the number one choice this season in midfield backing up both Iniesta and Rakitic.

Devils

I'm definitely among the minority, but I believe he can establish himself as an elite midfielder. It's very rare that I put so much faith into a player, but with Roberto I strongly believe.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He's improving every year, however there's one of two things he need to improve or show to become a player like that.

Creativity and/or greater passing and being able to set the tempo.

Either that, or he has to become a player like Vidal, a B2B MF who's good defensively and also a major threat in attack with some goalscoring and dribbling.

He could become a pretty good player at DM though.

Even if he doesn't do that and reach that level, he's still a good player who's awesome to have on your team being able to play multiple positions.

Last edited:

God Serena

Tbh he should probably be starting. Only Iniesta and Rakitic are even arguably better than him and Iniesta can't play nearly as much as he used to. He was already declining early and now he's actually in his older years.

Jombi

He's improving every year, however there's one of two things he need to improve or show to become a player like that.

Creativity and/or greater passing and being able to set the tempo.

Either that, or he has to become a player like Vidal, a B2B MF who's good defensively and also a major threat in attack with some goalscoring and dribbling.

He could become a pretty good player at DM though.

Even if he doesn't do that and reach that level, he's still a good player who's awesome to have on your team being able to play multiple positions.

With more game time in midfield, maybe he can do more like this:

[youtube]4HulCfl4Smg[/youtube]

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans