20 - Sergi Roberto

God Serena

As BBZ pointed out, he doesn't get the ball much because he rarely does anything with it when he gets it. That space is a symptom of his inadequacy, not the cause.

God Serena

Those assists were gained early in the season before he started becoming the king of back passes. That stat doesn't change his performances over the past few months.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Look at how much space he has. We should use that better.

I think that's the problem.

Sergi just isn't that attacking RB able to utilize all the space well, which is exactly why teams disregard the right side now and clog the middle even more.

That's not to say Roberto is bad. He is a balanced RB, but unless we have a proper RW, we might need a more dangerous RB in attack, who hopefully isn't complete shit in defence either.

Alves was a different case. Far more creative with the ball and proficient attacking-wise which is why defenders had to follow him closely. We're not going to get another Dani, but another 'weapon' in attack on the right side wouldn't be bad.

xavi_the_Boss

Sergi just isn't that attacking RB able to utilize all the space well, which is exactly why teams disregard the right side now and clog the middle even more.

That's not to say Roberto is bad. He is a balanced RB, but unless we have a proper RW, we might need a more dangerous RB in attack, who hopefully isn't complete shit in defence either.

Alves was a different case. Far more creative with the ball and proficient attacking-wise which is why defenders had to follow him closely. We're not going to get another Dani, but another 'weapon' in attack on the right side wouldn't be bad.

But Teams already did that when we had Alves and he got shit on this Forum aswell.

Messi983

We'll see if Messi will develop understanding with Cancelo if we'll really buy him. Of course it's very possible we'll have a new coach next season who willl have different ideas how to use him.

As I said before I really don't understand why Messi couldn't connect better with Roberto though. Yes, I get that he's not as creative and can't link up as well with him than Alves but I don't think he should totally ignore him either. I don't buy the excuse that most here use that Roberto is not good enough for Messi to even think about trying to connect with him.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
But Teams already did that when we had Alves and he got shit on this Forum aswell.

They did that in the season where he would just keep crossing it in the box and waste it all the time, but after that when he ventured forward, to the middle, linked up with Messi and co, basically reinvented himself after that season, they had to focus on him too.

We'll see if Messi will develop understanding with Cancelo if we'll really buy him. Of course it's very possible we'll have a new coach next season who willl have different ideas how to use him.

As I said before I really don't understand why Messi couldn't connect better with Roberto though. Yes, I get that he's not as creative and can't link up as well with him than Alves but I don't think he should totally ignore him either. I don't buy the excuse that most here use that Roberto is not good enough for Messi to even think about trying to connect with him.

Roberto probably can, but he has to make more of an effort to do that then. You can't receive a pass from Messi who then expect to get it back, and go on to play a backpass to Rakitic/Gomes/Denis. He need to be a bit more creative and take a bit more risk. I don't think Messi is going to keep trying if it only leads to Roberto not doing any of that and playing it safely.

F

FlaFCB

They train together everyday. By now some understanding should had emerged. Maybe Bob doesn't think or reacts as fast as Messi needs him to. Who knows.

gasgas

Yeah a RW

Those assists were gained early in the season before he started becoming the king of back passes. That stat doesn't change his performances over the past few months.

you don't pass forward when there's no winger in front of you, or you want him to pass to the corner flag?

[tw]818563324166213632[/tw]

This is part of what i have been saying all along.
Guy makes excellent runs and movements to receive the ball, and they ignore him

They did that in the season where he would just keep crossing it in the box and waste it all the time, but after that when he ventured forward, to the middle, linked up with Messi and co, basically reinvented himself after that season, they had to focus on him too.

Roberto probably can, but he has to make more of an effort to do that then. You can't receive a pass from Messi who then expect to get it back, and go on to play a backpass to Rakitic/Gomes/Denis. He need to be a bit more creative and take a bit more risk. I don't think Messi is going to keep trying if it only leads to Roberto not doing any of that and playing it safely.
Why do you think he was crossing it incessantly?

And no, in the treble season Dani didn't go to the middle, Messi moved from the middle to the wing and Dani was able to combine with him

Prior to the treble season we didn't play a Right winger in big games. Alexis was benched in favor of A 4 man midfield with Cesc part of it

How often did Roberto receive a pass from Messi, in a position to return it then decide to send it back to Rakitic?
Look for statistics and i can almost guarantee you, Messi hardly ever passes to Sergi

gasgas

They train together everyday. By now some understanding should had emerged. Maybe Bob doesn't think or reacts as fast as Messi needs him to. Who knows.

well he certainly reacts fast to other players' actions

Start from 0:45

also notice Messi position whenevr you can

Potroh

Because a good team is like an orchestra or a jazz-band, some musicians easily understand each other, whereas others will never do so, they simply don't fit each other, regardless how much they practice together.
Practice, training are good to create fixed patters, often mechanical but useful inner standards, but rarely or never help the creative improvisers who try to look for unexpected and unpredictable moves and solutions.

If X is a great player and Y is an equally great one, it doesn't necessarily mean they will fit together, understand each other, etc.
It's an old story in the history of this game that 2-3-4 geniuses don't necessarily add up a great and efficacious team, if they were somehow not meant for each other.
It's like marriage, sometimes it works but more often it doesn't...

Home of Barca Fans