20 - Sergi Roberto

Butaan4barca

not comparing, different players. But he potentially can be more effective player than thiago. Where thiago is hot & spicy, he is simple & sweet.

Adversus

Of course his rating in CM and RW will be higher on a site that rates goals/assists /dribbles etc. higher than defensive work. The jury is still out if he'll cut it as a Barca CM, he has performed immensly as a versatile player, but I doubt he'll be a starter when we have everyone fit, this year or the next.

The players that get the goals are normally rated higher so you do tend to find attackers at the top but except for the very special attacking midfielders their rating aren't any higher than defenders. But this isn't a whoscored thread so we can leave it at that.

Regarding whether he can be a starter at Barca. In fairness to him only the very best can.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
...and what we should do is stop comparing him to player x and y, just be happy we have another youth product slowly making his way into the team. Comparing him to two of the best cm's that ever played the game is a bit unfair at this stage, but this is Barca and not you local pub amateur team. Let us join hands and be happy he makes progress :lucho:

Galning

Exactly. Seeing a youth product end up at the first team with regular playing time is beautiful to see, even if he's just going to be a squad player. I never rated Sergi Roberto when he played at the first team because he looked super slow among other things, but look at how much the kid developed. Took his time to learn from the best in practise and when his time arrived he did great.

Comparing him to Xavi or Iniesta is just unfair to everybody.

JamDav1982

not comparing, different players. But he potentially can be more effective player than thiago. Where thiago is hot & spicy, he is simple & sweet.

Thiago is a brilliant player and technically better on the ball than Roberto. If you were building a team around someone in midfield to dictate it would be Thiago over Roberto.

But Roberto more of a team player. Will move off the ball better to cover for other players etc. He will keep it simpler and know his role as team player more effectively.

Both great players. Thiago better if going to be main man and can try more individual actions and movement. Roberto better if you want a cog in the machine to give others centre stage.

Would Thiago put in a more impressive individual performance against BATE last night? Probably.

Would Thiago play in a way that covers the pitch as well and allows others like Busi and front three to thrive as much? I don't think so personally.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Thiago is a brilliant player and technically better on the ball than Roberto. If you were building a team around someone in midfield to dictate it would be Thiago over Roberto.

But Roberto more of a team player. Will move off the ball better to cover for other players etc. He will keep it simpler and know his role as team player more effectively.

Both great players. Thiago better if going to be main man and can try more individual actions and movement. Roberto better if you want a cog in the machine to give others centre stage.

Would Thiago put in a more impressive individual performance against BATE last night? Probably.

Would Thiago play in a way that covers the pitch as well and allows others like Busi and front three to thrive as much? I don't think so personally.

Maybe maybe. Hard to say how Thiago would fair paired in todays Barca besides an Iniesta in top form, compared to more of a hard worker like Raki or Roberto on top form. Guess we'll never find out. But all things aside, Thiago is doing great and his services would be appreciated in 2 seasons time when Iniesta slowly winds down - but on the other hand I have high hopes when it comes to Arda.
Anyway, back to Roberto. He's 23 and slowly making into the first team. Yes, he got his chances because of injuries - but many youth players get playing time this way - so no shame in the game. He got a couple of chances and he took them. The jury will be out to get him if he has a mediocre game against a top team - but honestly, which 23 year old with even more first team games would be experienced enough to keep his head cool and play like it was a friendly? Of course, it's what separates the average players from the WC ones - even at the age of 23. But some players just take that extra year or two to develop. Roberto has shown us not in one game, but in like 10 consecutive games that he's not only good in theory but also in practice.

gasgas

i dont think he has a future in our midfield. especially when time comes to the fact that we need more control and creativity from midfield.
His future with us IMO is on the right side of the field.

J

Jamie Cal

we need that Roberto-Busquets-Samper midfield 3bh

Sergi x Sergi x Sergi :mathieu:

we gon' call it dat Sergi³ innit.

silvia

i am still not sure he will be good at midfielder. He is not ready to read games and control midfield.
He can dribble, fast, has offensive abilities... That was successful at right back but midfielder.. hmm
Maybe if he develops, he can be a good box to box midfielder because he runs a lot. maybe.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
What a nice team vacation to the park. I read they closed the park to the public so our players could have it exclusively. Good to see Messi's family is there too.

Home of Barca Fans