What makes a club "big"?

JALJM

I'm not english so i don't know....but don't Leeds have way more fans than City? even if they're not necessarily showing up right now?

Anyway, I always hate the "big club" argument, because it's such a vague term people fashion it to mean what they want and nobody ever convinces anybody of anything.

Big can mean fanbase, success, recent success, money, prestige, whatever...

R

Red Devil

No Dave, they are just there to back up my statement, which you haven't done with any of yours. So please tell me how they are a bigger club ?

I drove past their ground the other day too, it looks like a bloody building site.

Theo come on its a fact Leeds have a big history of entertaining football they also have a big fan base . You are the second team of a City a huge city to be fair but that doesnt make you a bigger club then Leeds.

Based on history and fans base they are bigger.

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
Big Club Some Titles (a European Championship helps) A good Fan base. A nice stadium

Big fan base (domestic and international), consistent streaks of success, many trophies, prestige, name recognition (sometimes debatable), stadium that is consistently filled, and having cash to spend.

FCBNOF

Momo un Bello Uomo
Sadley in today's world of football, a club is most of the time made big by the status of it's players.. I mean for god's sake when was Man city "international" and since when did the whole world start supporting them? when they signed robinho and now Tevez and a couple of more signings due to their owners.

Tells you just how many glorey hunters are out there.

Remember how low attendance was when R10 left us? the fan boys turned to Milan and now we have them again all hailing Messi but if god forbids Leo was to leave us..

Sallou

Leeds are still a HUGE club. Ellend Rd is nearly full week after week. Trust me, they are a big club, and I actually think the board and refs therein have deliberately kept them in League1 (via bad descisions etc) because they are making quite a bit of money of them being in that league. And publicity and extra TV coverage.

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
the four biggest clubs in england are united, liverpool, arsenal and, sigh, leeds.

although if leeds don't sort themselves out they'll drop from that list.

you need sustained success. to be there or thereabouts for a long time. united had a huge drought in terms of the league but kept winning cups, and now they're having a glut in the league too. liverpool have had a league drought but won other trophies in the interm. etc.
Leeds bigger than Everton ? :thumbdown:

F

fanmonger

the four biggest clubs in england are united, liverpool, arsenal and, sigh, leeds.

although if leeds don't sort themselves out they'll drop from that list.

you need sustained success. to be there or thereabouts for a long time. united had a huge drought in terms of the league but kept winning cups, and now they're having a glut in the league too. liverpool have had a league drought but won other trophies in the interm. etc.

The four biggest clubs are

Manchester United
Liverpool
Arsenal
Tottenham.

beef-supreme

Added to what has already been discussed, I'd say the way the name of the club can be used as a brand also makes it big. Everyone, even non-enthusiasts of football, will know Manchester United. And the Manchester United brand can be used by the media and other commercial institutions and exploited to massive ends.
Also, big clubs tend to come from big cities within their respective countries.

danny4barca

fanbase and the tradiations and mindset the club has.

artifical clubs maby a big club but they cant exprss themelfs as much as barca or juventus,milan,liverpool,manchester, can.

Home of Barca Fans