Would a player choose Citys money or United's prestige ?

R

Red Devil

Yes Tevez moved too City I know but he as always said if Fergie treated him with more respect he would of stayed .

So here is the question we will use Shay Given for a example because he seems a honest lad there are two offers sat on the table which does he pick ?

Manchester United

£100 K a week
Huge history and prestig of playing for United
Certain to win trophys
Treated like gods on tours of Asia
The chance to add your name next to Best , Law , Charlton , Edwards , Robson , Keane , Giggs , Cantona , Bruce , Ronaldo , Solskear etc
75 000 Fans a week singing your name

Or

£200 K week
40 000 seater stadium
Also a huge tour in summer from now on
There may be a chance to win trophys but your more part of a project waiting to happen.
Add your name too the long list of City greats ' Bell , Kinky , Quinn , SWP , Dunne .

Take your pick who would you choose ?

Some may pick the project and I would respect that .

FlyLo

200k a week, no question about it. Unless FCB would come along and give me a 10k a week contract.

It's still a job, you know.

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
If Barcelona offered a £100 a week I would go to them. But if it were just Man U and Man City I think I would go to City. Even if I were to play well but the team didn't I could always earn a transfer to a big club. If you don't do well at Man U you just go backwards and backwards and backwards.

nebeer

Love is All
It might not only be money that a player would go to City for, it might also be that one is genuinely excited by their project or be interested to play with the players they have already signed.

J

Jordzibob

I think it depends on the player, someone like Xavi, Messi, Puyol would never leave Barcelona, even for the money. Someone like Ronaldo on the other hand, would. I'm not saying all players who leave for the money are bad, its natural, the problem is like....ultimately theres no a huge difference between getting £200,000 a week, and £250,000 a week.....you can pretty much buy anything, I can understand why players would want more money, so move, but some are more loyal to the clubs that have done everything for them, hence Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi.....

B

blueduck

Add your name too the long list of City greats ' Bell , Kinky , Quinn , SWP , Dunne .

:lol: Dunne is not a City legend.

Summerbee, Francis Lee, Bert Trautmann, Tony Book and Goater are all considered City legends.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Man this City/Utd shit is getting old. Let's just see how everything pans out this season.

B

blueduck

He's created numerous threads on City.

I'm think he's a little obsessed with us.

maz

I walk the line
I actually think its a fair question. Red devil didnt just write a one-liner about how he hates man city, he actually assessed the situation with each club.

As a footballer they put allegiances aside and they dont think about transfers the way a normal football fan does. They always think about what is best for them as a footballer and for them as a working professional.

The problem with joining man united is that a) SAF will leave soon and you have no idea what will happen to the club after that. b) breaking into the first team will be tough. On the other hand at city everyone is starting from zero and is out there to prove themself.

If i was a footballer and was presented with the choice, i would choose man city because i do believe they have a chance of winning trophies. And because in a career that can be cut short by injury, and even if its not then you'll retire by the age of 36-40, you need to milk as much money from the profession as you can. Gareth barry was holding out for a few million extra and people were critisising him saying why is he so greedy..when you are talking multi million, what does a few million here or there make? But in my opinion, a few million is enough for a child to go their whole life without working and live a middle-class lifestyle. Every extra 3 mil he earns is an extra 3 mil he can give to his children, or his nephews/nieces.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I don`t understand the question at all. "Would a player choose..." Then "who would you choose"? Which one and who? Tevez, Adebayor, Robinho and others made the City choice.
It`s easy to say : "nah, I don`t care about the money" but it`s easy to dismiss something you don`t realistically have chance getting.

And btw. how is ManUtd different than City? Being owned by some billionaires from US or a sheik from the Middle East sounds pretty much the same to me.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
To be honest as a professional if I had no ties to either club I'd take the one paying me twice as much especially as Citeh look to be serious about building a competitive team.

R

Red Devil

:lol: Dunne is not a City legend.

Summerbee, Francis Lee, Bert Trautmann, Tony Book and Goater are all considered City legends.

It was meant as a joke ducky

He's created numerous threads on City.

I'm think he's a little obsessed with us.

It was meant as a serious question I also talked about United during the post ducky.

henriklarsson7

i hate fergie and hate some sections of the man utd support but it would hav to b utd, id rather be remembered as a footballer rather than a money grabbing player thats just innit for the money (adebayor)

Home of Barca Fans