Gheorghe Hagi

nebeer

Love is All

c_41.jpg

Though in his 2 year spell at Barca he remained sidelined for quite some time due to injuries, Gheorghe Hagi was one of the most fascinating footballers of his time. I have been a big fan of Hagi because of his tremendous shooting abilities from good lengths of distances. He is a phenomenal attacking midfielder to have in your team.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He was called "Maradona of Carpathians". I loved him too, along with our captain and his compatriot Giga Popescu.

aRegularAce

I never saw him play tbh, just saw a compilation of him on youtube. Gotta say his shooting technique is astonishing!

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
Legendary, his skills ans goals were wonderful. Also signed Marius Niculae for Inverness Caley Thistle.

nebeer

Love is All
I never saw him play tbh, just saw a compilation of him on youtube. Gotta say his shooting technique is astonishing!

I can remember flashes of Hagi in the midfield in the 94 World Cup. I was 7 then (and I had just started watching football). I was very fascinated by Hagi's flair in the midfield and that astonishing 40 yard goal he scored against Colombia. My dad is a huge Hagi fan. I can still remember him screaming when he scored that goal. Though I watched him live for a very short time, it was enough to leave an impression on me.

B

beautifulgame

His precision and vision was amazing. He could put the ball on a pin point.

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
His precision and vision was amazing. He could put the ball on a pin point.

Yeah... precisely for that reason (and many others) they call him "Maradona of Carpathians". I remember some matches of him with Romania in USA '94... what a fantastic player...

desoe

Hagi is one of our former players for who I regret strongly for not making it in Barca.

Such an epic player, just epic.

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
Hagi sign for Barça at the end of first era of Dream Team... However, he left his marks...

CatalinR10

Club career

He started his career playing for the youth teams of Farul Constanța in the 1970s, before being selected by the Romanian Football Federation to join the squad of Luceafărul București in 1980 for two years. In 1982 he returned to Constanța, but one year later, aged 18, he was prepared to make the step to a top team. He was originally directed to Universitatea Craiova, but chose Sportul Studențesc of Bucharest instead.

In the winter of 1987 Hagi was transferred to Romanian giants Steaua București as the team prepared for their European Super Cup final against Dynamo Kyiv. The original contract was for one game only, the final. However after winning the trophy, where Hagi scored the only goal of the game, Steaua did not want to release him back to Sportul Studențesc and retained him. During his Steaua years (1987–1990), Hagi played 97 Liga I games, scoring 76 goals. He and the team reached the European Cup semifinal in 1988 and the final in the following year. Hagi and Steaua were the champions of Romania in 1987, 1988 and 1989 and as well as winning the Cupa României in 1987, 1988 and 1989.

After the 1990 World Cup, he was signed by Real Madrid. The La Liga side paid $4.3 million to Steaua București for him. Hagi played two seasons with Real Madrid and then was sold to Brescia.

Hagi started the season 1992–1993 with Brescia but in the first season the club was relegated to Serie B; in the next season Hagi helped Brescia Calcio win the Italian Serie B and get promoted to Serie A. After performing memorably during the 1994 World Cup, Hagi was signed by Barcelona.

After two years at FC Barcelona, Hagi signed for Galatasaray. At Galatasaray, he was both successful and highly popular among the Turkish supporters. Hagi and manager Fatih Terim built a team that would win four consecutive league titles. Over the years, Galatasaray, led by Hagi, managed to win the UEFA Cup after defeating Arsenal in the finals. This was followed by the capture of the European Super Cup with a historic win against Hagi's former club Real Madrid. Both feats were firsts, and remain unmatched in Turkish football history. The mass hysteria caused by these wins in Istanbul raised Hagi's popularity even further with the fans and made French ex-international Luis Fernández to say that "Hagi is like wine, the older it gets, the better it is". In 2000, at the age of 35, Hagi had the best days of his career winning every possible trophy with Galatasaray. When he retired in 2001, he remained one of the most beloved players in the Turkish and Romanian championships. Hagi is highly praised by the Galatasaray supporters. The classic chant "I Love You Hagi" was adopted by Gala fans since his arrival at Galatasaray SK.

International Career

Hagi made his debut for the Romania national team at the age of 18 in 1983 in a game against Norway played in Oslo. He was part of the Romanian team until 2000.

Hagi led the Romanian team to its best ever international performance at the 1994 World Cup, where the team reached the quarterfinals before Sweden ended their run after winning the penalty shoot-out. Hagi scored three times in the tournament, including a memorable goal in their 3–2 surprise defeat of South American powerhouse and previous runners-up Argentina. In the first of Romania's group stage matches, against Colombia, Hagi scored one of the most memorable goals of that tournament, curling in a 40-yard lob over Colombian goalkeeper Oscar Córdoba who was caught out of position. He was named in the Team of the Tournament.

Four years later, after the 1998 World Cup, Hagi decided to retire from the national team, only to change his mind after a few months and play at the 2000 European Football Championship, during which he was sent off in the quarter-final loss against Italy.[10]

Hagi retired from professional football in 2001, age 36, in a game called "Gala Hagi" on 24 April. He still holds the record as Romanian national team top scorer.

As an attacking midfielder in his 766 games in his career , he's scored 310 goals.

His debut game for Barcelona

He scored for Barca an awesome goal from his own half but you can't see much because of the fog.

At 1:42

In his 2 seasons at Barca , he's scored 11 goals.

His best performances for a club was with Galatasaray when in his 5 seasons he's scored 73 goals.

Top 10 goals for Galatasaray

CatalinR10

In Galatasaray's win against Real Madrid in the Uefa Supercup final , he made Roberto Carlos look like an amateur.

His long shots were OUTRAGEOUS

FIFA chose his body feint one of the best move of the world cup history

If he was from Brazil or Argentina he would have been considered one of the best 10 players in football history.

He doesn't receive the credit he deserves.

raskolnikov

Hagi was an amazing player, I watched him a lot when he played for galatasary and he was special, all the fans loved him.

Home of Barca Fans