Who are your football icons?

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
By icons I mean icons, so please think carefully before answering as there is a major, major difference between who your icons are and who your favourite players are. For example Torres is my favourite player but he isn't my icon.

I started to comprehend football the game in the mid-late 80's I remember the 1984 european cup and 1986 fa cup which were both shown on tv, but mostly the 86 cup final where I really understood the game. So basically from that moment on is when I have my footballing icons.

1) Diego Maradona. I don't really need to say much about this really. I was smitten with his skill in the 1986 world cup and what he did on the football pitch is something I don't think I will ever see again.

2) Kenny Dalglish. Mainly for his management and off the field reasons than on it as I can't really acknowledge his brilliance as a player when I was a baby when he was in his prime. But for off the field reasons he is an icon of mine and you really don't need me to explain why do you.

3) John Barnes. My favourite Liverpool player of all time. I just love John Barnes. When he was in his prime at Liverpool in the late 80's was the same time I fell in love with the club, therefore my connection with him is ultra strong. He was just so brilliant on that left wing, he was like the cristiano ronaldo of today, only better! He is a hero of mine for sure and it was a disgrace how he was treated in the england set up.

The 4th may surprise you.

4) Roberto Baggio. Mainly around 1990 when I was gaining more knowledge of football in my early years I saw this kid play and my God he was awesome. I don't think people realise too this day how good Baggio was. He carried Italy to the world cup final in 94. But it was before then that I really thought of him as an icon of mine. I suppose you could say that Italia 90 was the first world cup that I could really comprehend. As I was only 5 for the 86 one, even though I actually still remember mexico 86. But I was in the middle of my childhood at italia 90 and you can appreciate things more at an early age around the 7-9 years instead of 4-6 years. Anyways Baggio brought to life this tournament for me and along with cameroon really made it entertaining. His idology of the game was something I liked and his solo goal just confirmed to me what a player he was.

Another player that is close to icon status to me, but just misses out is Franco Baresi. WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT Franco Baresi was the greatest defender that has ever lived. He made defending an art form and I really respect him. But for me he misses out on icon status, only just mind you, because he wasn't at the forfront of my mind growing up and really only saw him when Milan were in europe or for the national team.

It will be good to hear you choices!

R

Red Devil

1. George Best - This player is a legend my dad drilled his videos into me since I was 6 . He was his idol and mine.

2. Cantona - My first United idol a true genuis in my eyes.

3. Keane - Best ever captain a true leader and total loon ball.

4. Ole Gunner Solskear - Provided me with the greatest moment of my football supporting life I couldnt breath from the first goal I almost died with shock at the second . God bless Ole.

5. Scholes - He should of retired like Cantona before he fades away. But other than that he is a total legend.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
1) Gianfranco Zola - As a Chelsea fan I do not need to explain this, but I'll say a bit. A Chelsea legend, one of the 3 players that got me to support Chelsea, and he learnt from the best in Diego Maradona, so it's no wonder he was such a wonderful player to watch! I hope he is a big success at West Ham for the next few years so he can come to Chelsea after Carlo Ancelotti(or his successor(s)) leaves and bring us consistent success. :cheers:

2) George Weah - My very first favourite player after I decided to get into football, absolutely amazing to watch, part of the reason I decided to support AC Milan(who I've been supporting since before I became a Chelsea fan, but Chelsea are my main team since I've been able to see them a lot more often) and Chelsea(who he was playing for on loan at the start of the decade). So he gets icon status for me cause he shaped the way I follow my football in terms of my 2 favourite teams.

3) Marcel Desailly - While Paolo Maldini is the best defender ever, this man is the defender I've always liked most(not to mention he was fucking brilliant), and will always be in my best XI. Played for my 2 favourite teams in Milan and Chelsea, as well as my favourite French team in Marseille. You won't find many guys who've had a better career than him really, club AND country. A CL with Marseille. A CL, a UEFA Super Cup and 2 Serie A's with Milan. An FA Cup and UEFA Super Cup with Chelsea. A World Cup, EURO 2000 and 2 Confed Cups with France. There is really no surprise that success followed him wherever he went, he is an absolute legend of a defender, and IMO ahead of Thuram as the best ever French defender.

4) Paolo Maldini - Best. Defender. Ever. Played alongside Baresi and surpassed him IMO, stayed at Milan his whole career, won a stupid amount of trophies, played at the highest level until almost 41, and is univerally respected.

5) Diego Maradona - The best attacking player of all time IMO. Lead Argentina to a World Cup win, while he played for Napoli he was Napoli, and lead them to their best sequence of success in their history.

Last edited:

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
1) Dennis Bergkamp - The first and only player I've ever idolised, his touch, vision and class made football a more beautiful game to watch and some of the goals he produced defied belief.

2) Ian Sampson - A central defender who gave 10 years of 100% dedication to Northampton Town FC and would go on to become our captain. He was a model of professionalism and solid as a rock as a defender, the kind of player who would make the last ditch tackles, seemed to enjoy playing more when the weather was shit and we were playing in some hovel in the north of England and had a genuine respect for the fans. The antithesis of so many modern footballers.

V

Valon

1. Dennis Bergkamp

2. Thierry Henry

Cba to go on details why...

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
I have three icons:
Gerd Müller - the "bomber" - perhaps the best stricker of all time of Germany.

Paolo Rossi - was an exception in "catenaccio". Killer instinct. The man who destroyed the brasilien dream of 1982.

Karl Heinz Rummenigee - the brain and the soul of the "Mannschaft".

House of Flies

all your bases belong to us
no, dude. stop with this paranoia, i like materazzi cause of his style of play. there is absolutely no other person that i want to emulate other than materazzi.

Number 23!

Zincubus

Banned
I do like Marco too. And I hate Zidane. :)

Now , now you two - this really is tagteam silliness !

How can anybody hate ANY footballer let alone possibly the BEST ever and idolise a cheating coward like Matterela !!??

My only regret is that Zidane played for flaming Madrid and didn't play for BARCA !

Last edited:
F

FCB_Titi_LB

Ronaldo Luis Nazário de Lima

Romario
Baggio
Marc DeGryse/Luc Nilis

Home of Barca Fans