Who are your football icons?

BarcaCelt

Henrik Larsson has to one. Biased Celtic fan yes.

But, when people said he was only good in the SPL, then he made the jump to Barca and Man Utd, and if I remember correct, came on as a sub in the CL final and set up two goals to change, and therefore win the match :D

Paolo Maldini also. Dedication. Determination. Natural Fitness. Loyalty. 40 years old??? That man gets my respect :lol:

Ish Kabibble

Paolo Maldini also. Dedication. Determination. Natural Fitness. Loyalty. 40 years old??? That man gets my respect :lol:

Boy, you've got that right. I should have listed him among mine, but I was thinking more of the old-timers. But Maldini was absolutely the epitome of what a professional should be in every way. :worthy:

Guardian

gazza.jpg

I've always wondered about Gaza's grimace in this famous photo. Does Gaza feel pain or pleasure? I think he's happy.... In the next day Gaze sent roses to Vinnie, Vinnie sent a toilet brush in return. Legends!

Sallou

ZiZou
Diego
Ronaldo (Brazilian, ie the Real Ronaldo)
Messi (he's already a God and Legend to me)

N

nashy07

Zidane (play the game the way it was meant to be played)
Ronaldinho (technically the best player i have even seen)
Ronaldo AKA "Piggy"

Lemmi

The Reckoner
George Best & Duncan Edwards. Legends.

Luis Enrique; the one and only, Pep was Barca's brain. Lucho was the heart.

Paul Scholes; of the Man Utd generation Scholes was by far the most talented, most of the players in the England squad today will say he was the best they ever played with. A big fuck you to Sven for trying to play him on the left wing.

Dennis Bergkamp; always hated Arsenal but a magician.

Phillip Cocu; one of my hereos, so glad I got to see him play in 2004.

Gheorge Hagi; astonishing left foot. Always remember the quote "he could open a can of beans with that foot".

George Weah; the complete striker of my childhood generation.

Special mentions to Kluivert, Julian Dicks, Schmeichel, Cantona, Boban, Zola, Mendieta, Romario, Ortega, Asprilla.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
good thread.

in chronological order of discovery...

John Barnes. a masterful dribbler and supreme player. plus he was black which for a young (at the time) minority like me (especially one who always emphasised with africans) that was a big deal.

Eric Cantona. quite possibly the coolest man in the history of the universe. 'nuff said.

Ryan Giggs. was like a white (only 3/4 as it turns out!) john barnes, only quicker and younger. and he played for man utd! and he still fucking does! legend is not a big enough word. crying shame he's welsh though, him being english would have probably helped me to feel more english (as weird as that sounds), it certainly would have gotten me to root for england more than I did. and hell, england could have won the big one. fuck, england WOULD have won the big one.

Josep Guardiola. second coolest man in the history of the universe. lacked the swagger of king eric, but had way more control on the pitch. plus he looked radical. a dusky stubbled machine of pure awesome.

Patrick Kluivert. a kid (relateable) who played up-top and scored loads of goals. I remember when he came on vs. england in euro '96, I said to mum "he's brilliant. watch, he's gonna score." and she was all "pshaw he's just a boy" and then what did he do? why, he scored! awwweeeesome.

Ronaldo. I had never seen football like it when he first showed up. I still haven't seen football like it.

Garrincha and George Best. they play football how it should be played. at pace with feet full of magic. not icons of MY childhood, but, watching videos and reading about them makes me feel like a child again.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
More or less in order...

Luis Enrique: Everything a footballer should be.

Batistuta: The complete striker, not to mention a gentleman who was always humble and gave Fiorentina his all. My idol in the sense of who I wish I could play like.

Rivaldo: Overall I'm not a huge fan of flashy Brazilians but Rivaldo was the first footballer to truly amaze me and helped me redefine what is capable in a sport.

Daniel Passarella: Before my time (At least as a player) but everything I want to see in a defender, an agressive player who gave it his all without sacrificing ability and willingness to contribute to the attack; Argentina and River's finest defender who also was great for Fiorentina.

Henrik Larsson: King of Kings

Others of note: Cocu, Xavi, Cruyff, Kluivert, Ortega, Stoichikov

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
i was never a football fan till like 4 years ago when there a striker in hockey in canada. the player that captivated my immagination was ronaldinho as he took the world by storm in the 2002 world cup and on.

along with him is probably ronaldo fat one as he was the player that got me interested in spanish football.

Beast

The Observer
Nice topic.

Hierro : the one i relate too the most in Real Madrid history , a true leader and motivator as well as a goal scorer .
i haven't related to anyone in the time i watched Real Madrid more than Fernando nor did i owned so many shirts for any player than him , I had like 5 Real Madrid kits with Hierro written on the back with that awful Tekka sponsors name on them .

i was born in 1975 so my first ever "Heavy" football awareness was WC 1982.
I couldn't help but fall for Michel Platini , he had it all a playmaker/striker/awesome freekick taker.
It was a double joy to see Italy win the WC that year but Platini elegance on the pitch and leadership was more evident than the group effort by Italy .
2 years later 1984 Platini was banging them left & right and took home Best player award,top (record ) goal scorer and above all the trophy .
I stayed for 2 years practicing freekicks the same way Platini bang them .

come 1986 my second icon came to life. Diego Armando Maradona , what a player i watched the entire WC and the moment Maradona finished the WC My Christmas gift was Maradona no 10 shirt (le coq sportif i remember it till now ) , the Argentina shirt and the Puma boots , man every kid in my generation talked about nothing but him , tried to dribble like him (failed miserably never the less )

Michael Laudrup: , the elegance , the technique , the vision.. the ultimate underrated playmaker.
If Laudrup was anything but Danish he would probably be on everyone list in the top 3 footballer in the world .

Honorable mention El Butre , Hugo Sanchez ,Zidane & Ronaldo

Home of Barca Fans