Can I get by speaking English in Barcelona?

Decanus

Formely Jose Maraschino
The top goal for me is to someday visit Barcelona in person. I do not know when this will occur.
Can I get by in the city only being able to speak English? I know a small amount of German, but no Spanish or Catalan. And there are no language courses in Catalan I can think of, and I can't afford something like the Rosetta Stone Spanish.

Of course, if I could retire to Barcelona I could spend the rest of my days learning....

Ish Kabibble

Excellent! Thanks for the info. I have no intention of eating at the English area places. I want to eat local food when I go. I just don't speak Spanish.

You might think about buying a pocket Spanish phrase book to take with you. There should be different sections about ordering meals, etc. And I'm sure you'd get brownie points for trying. :2145960713mundoemot

Ish Kabibble

:lol:

And to Ish: Thanks for the suggestion. I do in fact intend on taking a Spanish book of some type.

As a matter of fact, I have a Spanish/English paperback dictionary with common phrases right now. I also have a French version and an Italian version.

Sounds great. You should get along just fine then. Enjoy your trip! :flagvl8:

nebeer

Love is All
I also would go to Barcelona, so this thread has been really helpful. Thanks for all the info. I would even love to see and much appreciate more info on Spain and Barcelona in here.

Last edited:

Venezuelan Cule

I hear is really tough to get a job if you don't speak Catalan in Barcelona. That is coming from Spaniards' mouth. Catlan would get you farther in Barcelona.

Necro Spaaw

NeSaVlaDiV
I am in love wit Barcelona as a city. Man, it's beautiful there (I visited) so I plan to go again someday to live there.
I don't care how or when, I will just collect money for a one way plane ticket and go.
If I have to live on the streets, so be it!

nebeer

Love is All
I hear is really tough to get a job if you don't speak Catalan in Barcelona. That is coming from Spaniards' mouth. Catlan would get you farther in Barcelona.

Are Catalan and Spanish two completely different languages? Are there similarities between the two?

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
Yes they are two completely different languages but there are similarities between the two as there are in any latin language.

Home of Barca Fans