USA

Windhook

It's a big blow on USA ambitions in dominating the sport of football (soccer) and there is a probability of a MLS decline. There is a lot of work to be done and I think an introduction of promotion/relegation system might solve some of the problems, especially the complacency. The current system serves only the interest of the club owners and, clearly, signing 32+ aged former stars is not helping the football cause.

BTW congrats to Panama on qualifying for the World Cup for the first time in their history. Will be interesting to watch.

Ritchie

In a country where you need to be a college boy to make it pro (which in the US means a lot of $) then it doesn't blend well with a sport that's roots have always been blue collar. They need merit based academies in every state and major city with high level scouting and coaching.

And the best sportsmen in America will go into the other main sports.

JamDav1982

In a country where you need to be a college boy to make it pro (which in the US means a lot of $) then it doesn't blend well with a sport that's roots have always been blue collar. They need merit based academies in every state and major city with high level scouting and coaching.

And the best sportsmen in America will go into the other main sports.

They get scholarships to go through the college system and not everyone has to go that route.

Players can move abroad as well.

PhilS

I've only got one thing to say about the performance of our national team. Viva Mexico! I'm proud to be among the tens of millions people living in the U.S. who are supporters of Los Tri. Might do some damage in Russia, very good team, attractive style of play for Barca fans.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Russians did this because they didn't want US team in their WC.

giphy.gif

El Flaco

[tw]918847910997045249[/tw]

Comments from U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati

[tw]918872473449517062[/tw]

[tw]918870970730983426[/tw]

[tw]918871300520775681[/tw]

[tw]918890331244060673[/tw]

Galning

Isn't he just plain wrong though? Most academies do not charge the kids anything do they?

They do. Really rich clubs like Barça probably don't but almost 99% of the clubs do. When you get older it's less likely though.

Home of Barca Fans