USA

L

linetty

Yeah but it's like saying European kids shouldn't play basketball because they can't earn as much money/there's less prestige. European basketball as well isn't at the same level as the NBA, for example. If you look at the top flights of the sports, they all earn about as much. Random football players in Europe even earn more than random players in the NBA.

But honestly speaking I don't know why so many people care about the "popularity" of football in the USA. It's the biggest sport in the world, with or without them.
Agreed.

dakt

Care to explain instead of using smileyfaces? I don't see why people from outside the United States should care. Are we missing out on something?

Yeah, fuk load of cash, beer commercials and excessive explosions during the break.
It's like comparing National Geographics vs BBC documentaries. We need more energy and excitement.:w000t:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Compared to European football? Don't think so.

Domestically speaking, American athletes are drawn to the money making sports...Tiger Woods' dad taught his kid golf because he saw how much money they were making...Richard Williams did the same for his daughters from a gang riddled area of LA with tennis...To say nothing of the major US sports which make tremendous salaries...MLB players can make ridiculous sums of money for standing around most of the time

Marketing & money drive US athletes towards the big paycheck sports and while European football can lead to similar fortunes, you have to remember that most Americans are not interested in going abroad...Because the best athletes in football are playing in Europe, American footballers may aspire to play abroad but they are a small minority...And no, I don't believe the sport will ever enter into the upper echelon of US sports - too much of a cultural gap, IMO

But I do agree that while the US' increased involvement could be viewed as a general positive for the global game, they're certainly not needed as you pointed out since the game is a massive success throughout the planet without them having a significant role in it

Galning

My commentator during the USA game said that a lot of American football teams are setting up their own youth development systems, don't know if that's true. But if it is I guess that will eventually lead to a higher level. For now I don't think football as a whole benefits from high school and college soccer teams.

You are right. I guess not many American kids/parents think about pursuing a career in football when you can earn just as much playing an "American" sport.

BerkeleyBernie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9xc4jOHca0

Anyone believe this is real?

Definitely real. The "Man on the Street" segments are regular features of American late night TV, and you wouldn't believe the crap people come up with. This is actually a relatively tame one. The more shocking ones are where people display their complete ignorance of current affairs or their own country (i.e. can't correctly name the two countries that border the USA).

Pepe Silvia

Care to explain instead of using smileyfaces? I don't see why people from outside the United States should care. Are we missing out on something?
This changes your statement completely.

I don't know, do people outside USA really care about expanding the sport in the states? I wasn't aware that was a topic of interest for those outside USA.

For me and many other Americans who passionately follow the sport, it is pretty important.

Richard.H

Definitely real. The "Man on the Street" segments are regular features of American late night TV, and you wouldn't believe the crap people come up with. This is actually a relatively tame one. The more shocking ones are where people display their complete ignorance of current affairs or their own country (i.e. can't correctly name the two countries that border the USA).

Oh man don't even mention those segments. I don't understand why so many Americans are completely oblivious to global affairs and just general intelligence. Even in college people are just completely oblivious to everything around them.

This whole "Don't Give a F***k" mentality in America is very popular. Also known in acronym form as "DGAF". It's crazy how how little emphasis Americans put on intelligence.

If you take an average person from Russia and compare it with an average person to America, the average Russian would make the American look like an absolute idiot (lived in Russia so I know the differences between the two nations). It's really sad and frustrating at the same time.

Jenks

If Russia exported culture the way the US does, then they'd probably be a bit insular too.

Total-Football

wow usa out of the world cup .. It's more difficult to get eliminated than to qualify there and yet they have managed the difficult task. Nothing is going to change as long as the "pay to play" Policy stands still.

Home of Barca Fans