Ligue 1

Guardian

I really hope Marseille to win the league, Lyon have tough games till the end. Next week they'll go to Bordeaux and they'll take on PSG at home, then the have to play Marseille at Velodrom, in the last day they have to visit the surprise Toulouse, who are 4th at the moment.

S

Snyde

When I watched Marseille last season they were suffering due to Ribery's absence and Nasri was missing in most games + injury. While now they have a chance to break Lyon's tremendous hold and I haven't seen a game.

Benzema10

Official Lyon representative
welll guys, im still confident that we will win the league 1.
Our 1st problem is motivation and we got a coach that dont fit for lyon.
we will play our best footballl, we got bored to win every time and finish 1st, now we are second we will play different! and win this league! the match of the season will be against Marseille at Velodrom.
12 years after Marseille is again 1st at this stage. they won nothing after the Champions league 1993, 0 title. I hope they win the uefa cup or psg but not the ligue 1.

Beast

The Observer
Lyon have a much stronger bench then any other team in ligue 1.. though i appreciate L Blanc Bordeaux bench
things will get interesting , i do believe it's an end of an era for Lyon

Zqa-

Nah, Lyonnais will continue to win the Ligue 1 for the next couple of years. Jean-Michel Aulas is a super smart guy and superb businessman.. They are so far ahead of any other ligue 1 club when you talk about branding and moneymaking. Which means they are many levels over the other clubs regarding money, and they are capable of attracting bigger stars than the other clubs.

Beast

The Observer
Yes they are.. i have posted before in other forum the way Lyon do their business

here it is again

Lyon offers recipe for football success

If you had to locate the European dream anywhere, it would be in Lyon. On a warm winter’s afternoon recently, sitting outside in the 18th-century Place Bellecour where the buildings are as pretty as the women, I thought: nice. Here’s a wealthy town where you can have a good job, live in a big house near the mountains and get some sun. Better yet, France’s gastronomic capital also hosts a footballing miracle.

Next Wednesday, Olympique Lyon must beat Rangers in Glasgow to survive in this year’s Champions League. Jean-Michel Aulas, Lyon’s president, told me they will win Europe’s biggest prize some day. But already, this once nondescript club has achieved what every nondescript club dreams of. Lyon have won six consecutive French league titles, a feat unmatched by any other club in any of Europe’s five biggest national leagues. This season they will win their seventh. Emmanuel Hembert, a Lyon exile who heads the sports consulting practice at A.T. Kearney in London, says: “I use them as an example all the time.” To save clubs Kearney’s consulting fees, here are Lyon’s secrets

● Exploit the inefficiencies of the transfer market. The main inefficiency is that the premiums paid for big-name players are too high: the big name might cost five times as much as a promising youngster, but he isn’t five times better. So Lyon happily sell stars for a good price.

Aulas explains, over bottles of “OL” branded mineral water: “We will invest better than Chelsea, Arsenal or Real Madrid. We will make different strategic choices. For instance, we won’t try to have the best team on paper, or in terms of brand.

“We buy young players with potential who are considered the best in their country, between 20 and 22 years old. Also, buying and selling is not an activity for improving the football performance. It’s a trading activity, in which we pursue gross margin. If an offer for a player is greatly above his market value, you must not keep him.”

● Replace your best players before you sell them. This avoids a transitional period or panic purchase after the player leaves. Aulas says: “We will replace him six months or a year before. So when Michael Essien goes [to Chelsea for a fee of £24.4m], we already have players ready to replace him. Then when the opportunity for Tiago arises, for 25 per cent of the price of Essien, you take him.”

● Transfers should be decided by people who are at the club for the long term, not by whoever happens to be the current coach. Lyon’s transfers are done by the troika of Aulas, the eternal technical director Bernard Lacombe, and the coach. Each new coach must work with the material he’s given. He can’t let someone else’s expensive signing rot on the bench, or hang on to an overvalued star for short-term reasons. Lyon’s method avoids waste. However, it is unusual, notes Aulas. “In England often the manager does transfers alone.”

● Buy Brazilians. They are the best footballers. “Ten years ago,” says Aulas, “we sent one of our old players, Marcelo, to Brazil. He is an extraordinary man, because he was both an engineer and a professional footballer.” Marcelo sent Lyon the future internationals Edmilson, Juninho and Fred.

● Then help the Brazilians adapt. Many Brazilians flop at European clubs because they are unhappy. But Lyon have staffers who help the Brazilians settle in apartments, learn French, cope with homesickness, etcetera. The former president of a rival club told me: “They don’t select players just for their quality but for their ability to adapt. I can’t see Lyon recruiting an Anelka or a Ronaldinho.”

● Give homegrown players the same opportunities as big signings. Aulas long refused to buy a big-name centre-forward, because he thinks the market overprices centre-forwards. Now Lyon’s homegrown teenager Karim Benzema plays the position and scores non-stop. Benzema is no exception: he’s one of three of Lyon’s homegrown forwards who have played for France this season.

● Grow gradually. Avoid big debts: success in football is so uncertain that you may fail to repay them. When Aulas took over Lyon in 1987, they were in the second division. He says: “Each year we set as an objective to have progression. It’s like a cyclist: you can overtake the people just ahead of you.” Now Lyon’s objective is winning the Champions League. However, says Aulas, “it’s not urgent. We know it will happen. We don’t know when it will happen.” The new 60,000-seat stadium due in 2010 should help, but that too is to be financed with only modest debt.

● Do all this in a rich pleasant town with no footballing tradition. The strong Lyonnais economy produces enough sponsors. Players enjoy living in Lyon, hardly a hardship posting. And because Lyon had never been French champions until 2002, fans are undemanding. They are relaxed when Aulas sells stars, or when the new team loses two straight matches. “We tried to abstract the factor time,” says Aulas. He couldn’t have done that at Real Madrid or Liverpool

===========================

that aside.. the thing is many French clubs are starting to avoid selling their stars to Lyon when they come knocking like they did before(a very Bayern-esque /Chelsea like style ) .. they all invested in youth and starting to reap the benefits as seen this year..

the thing with Lyon is the new players are not able to replicate the old guards form.. Malouda (no matter how terrible he is with Chelsea ) was great with lyon along with Abidal beside him.. the double guard of Essien - Diarra even later with Tiago are a level up from Makoun..etc
the defense is much weaker IMO
there is some very good upcoming players but it will take some time to be as strong as before at the same time L'OM or Bordeaux winning the ligue 1 this year will do them a world of good

Zqa-

I read that in a danish football magazine couple of months ago. Good read.

I agree, they haven't got the same quality as they had two years ago, and are now almost on equel level with the likes of Bordeaux and OM, but still, they are better.

Beast

The Observer
big big game tomorrow (more like today )Bordeaux - Lyon ..
a title decider if Bordeaux win not only they will give L'OM a life line they will also leap frog Lyon to second place...

Benzema Vs Gourcuff.. a game to watch

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
big big game tomorrow (more like today )Bordeaux - Lyon ..
a title decider if Bordeaux win not only they will give L'OM a life line they will also leap frog Lyon to second place...

Benzema Vs Gourcuff.. a game to watch

Looking forward to that.

Beast

The Observer
watched the game.. crazy match.. can't believe how bad Barnadao (sp ) is.. missed an easy chance in the first half from Cone pass...

was on the edge till L'OM turned the result.. PSG won 3-1 as well.. which makes tonight game the title decider .. come on Bordeaux

Home of Barca Fans