Messi or Iniesta - the current BPITW?

Messi or Iniesta?

• Messi

Votes: 37 72.5%
  • Iniesta

Votes: 14 27.5%

• Total voters

zanela

I 've come across a fair few members on the forum opine tht Iniesta is the better player and also the current Best Player in the World. Now, I 've started this thread/Poll to learn if this view is limited to them or actually shared by the majority on the forum. (plz no diplomatic answers such as we are lucky to have thm both so who cares etc, etc...)..This is to determine the BPITW today so please give a definite answer.

Also, Kindly rate(on a scale of 10) both players on the following parameters...

Dribbling
Pace
Stamina
Strength
Passing(long+short)
Technique
Finishing
Shooting
Heading :D
Crossing
Playmaking
Tackling
Ball control
One touch play
Decision Making
X-Factor (the ability to create smething out of nothing)

[Playmaking - ability to read the game, good positioning to receive and distribute the ball, holding possession allowing other team members to make attacking runs, facilitate the killer ball, tactical awareness - for the better understanding of sme members here :) ]

If there is anything important abt either player tht u wish/like to add to support ur case, plz do so...

Thank you

Last edited:

zanela

This topic was discussed in various other threads and when i actually made a thread of its own nobody wants to participate :lol:
Anyway, lemme start and show the boys how its dne :lol:

----------------Messi----Iniesta
Dribbling---------9--------8.5
Pace------------8.5------7.3
Stamina---------8--------7.5
Strength---------8--------7.2
Passing----------8--------8.8
Technique-------8--------8
Finishing--------8.5-------7.3
Shooting-------8.3-------7.5
Heading--------6.5-------5
Crossing---------7--------7
Playmaking------8--------9
Tackling---------6--------6
Ball control------8.5------8.3
One touch play--8.5------8.5
Decision Making--8-------8.8
X-Factor--------8--------7

Overall rating
Messi = 7.9, Iniesta = 7.6

My ratings are based more on last season's performances.

As this BPITW tag keeps changing from season to season depending on a club's success, there is no doubt tht it is between Iniesta & leo currently.
In my humble opinion, Leo is the best in the world right now. Hez had the best season thn any1 else. Hez been our most consistent performer over the entire season in all competitions (he did ' ve a blip at sme pt. last season but thts understandable coz the more u play the more the chances of a dip in form). Hez been a matchwinner for us not on 1 but several occasions in all 3 comps (La liga - Osasuna, Racing, Getafe, Copa - A.Madrid, Mallorca, CL -Shakhtar Donestk)
He has been immense for us be it his stats or performances. I must admit towards the end iniesta stole the limelight frm leo, esp the chelsea games when leo found it hard to make an impact. Though i thnk there were sme factors for y it played out the way it did but i dont want to makes excuses for leo coz Iniesta was just fantastic in those games. So, lets give credit where its due. But Iniesta's absence for large spells due to injury & Messi's performances during tht period which proved to be crucial in the end decided it for me...Leo saved the team's ass too many times to overlook the factor....Hence, i believe tht the man with 38 Goals & 18 Assists is/shud be the deserved winner.

(Although im looking forward to seeing if both players can take it to the next level this coming season)
:)

Now start posting boys :D

Last edited:

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Shooting = long rang shooting?

-----------------Messi----Iniesta
Dribbling-----------8.5------9.5
Pace--------------9---------8
Stamina-----------7---------7
Strength----------7.5-------7
Passing-----------7.5--------9
Technique---------9---------9
Finishing----------8.5--------7
Shooting----------7.5-------6.5
Heading-----------6---------5
Crossing-----------7---------7
Playmaking--------7.5--------9
Tackling-----------6---------7
Ball control--------9--------8.5
One touch play----8.5-------9
Decision Making----7---------9
X-Factor----------8.5-------8

Overall
Messi = 7.75 | Iniesta = 7.84

J

Jordzibob

Its so difficult to say this, thats the only problem. Deciding who "the best player in the world" is is almost too difficult. I think its one of them, but if someone was to put forward the argument that Steven Gerrard (as much as I detest Liverpool) was the best player in the world then I dont think I could disagree, he's all action, (should be playing for a better team such as Barcelona =]), everywhere on the pitch, whether its defensive or attacking. I dont think you can put a defender as the best player in the world simply because of the fact that they dont "change" games, hopefully that wont sound incredibly insulting to defenders, but they dont. Attacking players change games, defenders lay the groundwork for it. In no way am I lessening their importance. If it came down to it, lets say put them in a line, two team captains, choose a player, schoolfield style, I'd probably choose Messi, but Iniesta is arguably just as good yet in a different way. I think Iniesta would be the best player in the world if he hadnt been wasted by Riijkard....

Evil

Shabazz
-----------------Messi----Iniesta
Dribbling-----------9.5------8.5
Pace--------------9---------8
Stamina-----------8---------7.5
Strength----------8.5-------7
Passing-----------8--------9
Technique---------9---------9
Finishing----------9.5--------7
Shooting----------8-------6.5
Heading-----------6---------5
Crossing-----------7---------7
Playmaking--------8--------9
Tackling-----------6---------7
Ball control--------9.5--------8.5
One touch play----9-------9
Decision Making----9---------9
X-Factor----------8.5-------8

Messi - 8.1
Iniesta - 7.8

If we are taking based on last season, then Leo is the best player in the world without a single doubt in my mind. He scored freaking 38 goals ! More than most strikers ... Plus he had a decent amount of assists, we suffer when he doesn't play, he decides matches ... Iniesta only had the edge over him in the Chelsea match, otherwize it was all Messi, plus Iniesta was injured for 2 months, while Messi didn't get injured at all so I don't know how you can make a comparison.

One more thing, and I'm sure some of you will disagree with this, but Messi is IMO the BEST dribbler in the world, better than Iniesta/Ronaldo/Kaka even better than Dinho in 2005 in terms of dribbling and controlling the ball. I have yet to see a defender own him in a match or to see him loose the ball more than 1-2 times per match !

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Um, did you watch the CL final? Messi lost the ball a stupid amount of times in that match. You are obviously caught up in Messi fever. :lol:

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
I'm not talking about Iniesta at all here...

I'm talking about where you said you are yet to see Messi lose the ball more than 1 - 2 times a match, but in the CL final alone he lost it a lot.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
For me at this moment in time Iniesta is the best in the world. Messi is world class as well of course, but I love the way Iniesta has been playing this year and..................well I just LOVE his game really :D

Evil

Shabazz
That's what I meant, I think the only time I've seen Messi like that was the Chelsea match ... he didn't loose it alot in the CL Final, even when he does loose it, it's a throw in or corner for Barça ... I haven´t seen a defender who has contained Messi an entire match ... (other than Bosingwa in the Chelsea match, and I´ve already said he wasn´t in his normal form that game).

J

Jordzibob

That's what I meant, I think the only time I've seen Messi like that was the Chelsea match ... he didn't loose it alot in the CL Final, even when he does loose it, it's a throw in or corner for Barça ... I haven´t seen a defender who has contained Messi an entire match ... (other than Bosingwa in the Chelsea match, and I´ve already said he wasn´t in his normal form that game).

Plus it wasnt just Bosingwa, it was almost all of the rest of the Chelsea team...everytime we got the ball they swamped us....Chelsea played rugby, not football.

Abaddon

King of the Bottomless Pit
Has to be Iniesta... Messi, while being an awesome player, still can be ineffectual at times and hold on to the ball for too long. Iniesta on the other hand always seems to make the right decisions with the ball. Fantastic player, who finally seems to be getting the recognition he deserves.

Home of Barca Fans