Ball control------9-------------9
One touch play--9-------------8
Decision Making-8-------------9
X-Factor----------9------------8

Messi = 125
Iniesta = 124

Abaddon

King of the Bottomless Pit
a 7 for heading and a 6 for tackling? Are you people joking?

I guess that would give Toni a 45 on heading and Pique a 37 for tackling.

V

Valon

I think they're doing it in comparing the players. Not generally.

zanela

Has to be Iniesta... Messi, while being an awesome player, still can be ineffectual at times and hold on to the ball for too long. Iniesta on the other hand always seems to make the right decisions with the ball. Fantastic player, who finally seems to be getting the recognition he deserves.

Decision making comes with age and seeing leo is 3 yrs younger, its no surprise tht Andrés is better at it.

a 7 for heading and a 6 for tackling? Are you people joking?

I guess that would give Toni a 45 on heading and Pique a 37 for tackling.

I think they're doing it in comparing the players. Not generally.

The poll is getting interesting now...very close.
I need more voters, so c'mon u ppl start practising ur democratic right :lol:

Abaddon

Iniesta has proven on several occasions that he will show up and help his team to victory in the big games. Messi? Not so much.

Once you look beyond Messi's flash, there's no debate.

maz

I walk the line
Iniesta has proven on several occasions that he will show up and help his team to victory in the big games. Messi? Not so much.

Madrid 3-3, shakhtar 1-2, sevilla 0-3...there's more but off the top of my head (i've just woken up) those are games where messi has dragged us through.

The thing is, messi has been consistently good for so long, whereas iniesta has only really been this good for a season. In previous seasons he was brilliant, but there was no question whatsoever that messi was better. Iniesta was still learning. However this season it seems to have all come together for him. People are fickle when it comes to many things, and this is one of them. I dont mean that in a bad way, but lots of people like change. They're bored of saying messi is the best and now they can say iniesta is the best. But i only say that because i feel messi is better and cant see another reason for why iniesta is displacing messi as best player.

----------------Messi-------Iniesta

Dribbling--------9.5------------9
Pace------------9.5-------------8
Stamina--------7-------------8
Strength--------8-------------8.5
Passing---------8-------------8.5
Technique--------8.5-----------9
Finishing--------8.5------------5.5
Shooting--------8------------6
Heading---------6.5------------4 (messi has a great leap, but perhaps not such the best header of the ball)
Crossing--------7-------------8.5
Playmaking-----8.5-------------9
Tackling---------6.5-------------6
Ball control------9.5-------------9.5
Decision Making-7.5-------------8.5
X-Factor----------9.5------------8

---------------131-----------124

Perhaps the stats aren't exact, but the comparison is in terms of one player having a better stat than the other.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Decision making comes with age and seeing leo is 3 yrs younger, its no surprise tht Andrés is better at it.
Yeah but the point of this thread is to compare them as they are now! You can't take age into consideration. :p Messi is almost guaranteed to be better in 2 years time but that has no bearing on the ratings. :p

Abaddon

Madrid 3-3, shakhtar 1-2, sevilla 0-3...there's more but off the top of my head (i've just woken up) those are games where messi has dragged us through.
Well of course, he's a top player, but not quite as Iniesta in my opinion. Shakthtar and Sevilla? Cmon now. While Messi usually does great against Madrid, who tend to give him a shitload of space, he has struggled every single time against top English teams that take away space for his runs. This cannot be said for Iniesta.

The thing is, messi has been consistently good for so long, whereas iniesta has only really been this good for a season. In previous seasons he was brilliant, but there was no question whatsoever that messi was better. Iniesta was still learning. However this season it seems to have all come together for him. People are fickle when it comes to many things, and this is one of them. I dont mean that in a bad way, but lots of people like change. They're bored of saying messi is the best and now they can say iniesta is the best. But i only say that because i feel messi is better and cant see another reason for why iniesta is displacing messi as best player.
Well I've never rated Messi as the best player so that can't be said for me ;)

I think Messi has always gotten more recognition because he is the flashier player and people will always notice that first. Obviously it's close and neither is clear cut above the other, but if I could chose one player to start a team with, right now my pick would be Iniesta over Messi.

Dribbling--------9.5------------9
Pace------------9.5-------------8
Stamina--------7-------------8
Strength--------8-------------8.5
Passing---------8-------------8.5
Technique--------8.5-----------9
Finishing--------8.5------------5.5
Shooting--------8------------6
Heading---------6.5------------4 (messi has a great leap, but perhaps not such the best header of the ball)
Crossing--------7-------------8.5
Playmaking-----8.5-------------9
Tackling---------6.5-------------6
Ball control------9.5-------------9.5
Decision Making-7.5-------------8.5
X-Factor----------9.5------------8

---------------131-----------124

Perhaps the stats aren't exact, but the comparison is in terms of one player having a better stat than the other.
not a huge fan of these stat ratings, but I'll give it a go

Dribbling--------10------------9
Pace------------9-------------8
Stamina--------6-------------8
Strength--------5-------------7
Passing---------8-------------9
Technique--------9-----------9
Finishing--------8.5------------6.5
Shooting--------8------------6.5
Heading---------2------------1
Crossing--------6-------------8
Playmaking-----7.5-------------9.5
Tackling---------1-------------4
Ball control------10-------------9.5
One touch play--9-------------9
Decision Making-7-------------9.5
X-Factor----------9------------8

---------------115-----------121.5

FiReFTW

This is ridicilous , Messi is a far better player , Iniesta just had better performances late in the season when Messi was out of form.

zanela

Yeah but the point of this thread is to compare them as they are now! You can't take age into consideration. :p Messi is almost guaranteed to be better in 2 years time but that has no bearing on the ratings. :p

Yeh i know, u dnt have to remind me tht all the time :lol:
Infact, I've given iniesta a higher rating for it. So, i havnt considered the age factor here.
I was just pointing tht out to him coz he made it seem like it was sme weakness in leo's game as iniesta always makes right decisions with the ball and leo doesn’t.(when its obvious y it is)

This season - A.Madrid(la liga+copa), Sevilla(A), Espanyol(A), RealMadrid, B.Munich, S.Donestk, Copa Final – All big games apart frm his match winners agst Osasuna, Racing, Getafe,etc.

In the past - Chelsea(SB), ManUtd(OT), Real Madrid, Sevilla,Copa America(2007) etc

U dnt win as many individual awards and intl recognition in such a short career if there isn’t much beyond the flash…
And I’d like to know abt these several big games tht iniesta has helped his team to victory(apart frm Chelsea,Man utd)….?...

Not to forget Leo was playing with a lot of fatigue towards the end of the season – a 21 yr old who is known to be injury prone. So to bag 38 goals, 18 assists in his first injury-free season is commendable.
A great half season by iniesta and hez suddenly > thn a player whose dne it every season since hez arrived on the scene.

While Messi usually does great against Madrid, who tend to give him a shitload of space, he has struggled every single time against top English teams that take away space for his runs. This cannot be said for Iniesta.

So Messi usually does great against Madrid coz hez given shitload of space...wht abt iniesta thn, he isnt?...but still hasnt made a similar impact...Also, wht did iniesta do agst manutd last season? (as he seems do it agst Top English oppositions acc. to u)

When given space and time...even a blind man ll tell u...Messi > Iniesta. Smething which most top teams(English or non-English) realise, only stupid Madrid doesnt (to be fair they did try a tactic in the first leg last season which was to kill him but even tht didnt work out for thm :lol:) Anyway, he ll obliterate the opposition wen given space which is y a lot of effort goes in to containing Leo when compared to Andres..and when they are top english teams doing it who are known for their organised & tactical defending and u get tightly marked, are put 3/4 worldclass defenders on u, its near impossible for any1 to make any kind of impact. Now dnt tell me, this tactic used to contain Leo is applied to Andres as well...Leo's very presence on the pitch frees up the likes of Iniesta, Xavi etc...which was also a reason y Iniesta did well agst chelsea...Leo got crowded & closed down everytime he got the ball. watch both the legs agn , hell! even wtch the goal agn u ll know wht im talking abt...take off Leo frm the team, put Iniesta in his place and i'd like to see how well he does when the same tactic is applied to him...Its all easy saying Iniesta is the better player wen u have a bias agst the other which is very obvious frm ur ratings as well
U give him 1 for tackling and 5 for strength but 7 to Iniesta for the same...
If hez so shite at tackling, i'd like to know ur ratings for c.ronaldo & p.scholes :lol: for the same.

Its clear u dnt watch Leo on a regular basis. He can actually make good tackles when needed.(eg, Valencia (A) his tackle to block a cross), hez also a good crosser of the ball (eg, his cross to tevez vs venezuela(wcq), or the one to henry vs espanyol(h).These are only a few examples but those who do watch more of the player ll tell u, he ll make a good tackle or put in a good cross when hez required to 7/10 times...which isnt too bad.So hez as good as Andres if not better in the above aspects.

As for strength, howz he stronger thn Messi? Iniesta is more lightweight and gets shoved off the ball easily by strong defenders and also goes down too easily for my liking...he shields the ball well and gets past players using more of his intelligence and ball skills thn his physical strength. Leo, in fact, has actually gotten better in this regard. He has worked on his physical side which was obvious to see last season when he held his own agst stronger defenders using his strength more thn in the previous seasons....
(this last bit applies to maz as well)

I wish ppl were less biased & watch more of the players (not sme imp ones) before making comments like its a fact.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans