8 - Hristo Stoichkov

Gilberto

:lol: I love the way he hits the bar from about 3 yards out, with so much conviction, at 4:15 in the first video

Last edited:

Windhook

The Parma transfer was a huge mistake, Hristo's decline just accelerated and when he returned a year later he wasn't the same player anymore, he was 30 years old. Also things had changed at Barcelona. Bobby Robson was now manager of the club, Jose Mourinho, his protege, was working in an unknown role, Ronaldo was bought and was to play probably his best season in his career during the 1996/97 season.

Hristo clashed with Cruyff a lot during the final years of the 1988-1996 era and that forced him out of the club. Stoichkov mentioned recently that the team got too complacent during the 1993/94 season and knowing Hristo's temperament I have no doubts he told that to Cruyff. He just cannot keep it to himself.:lol: With Hristo gone the 1995/96 season was destined to be bad, Cruyff got fired at the end and never managed again.

Windhook

Yeah, it was upsetting moment for me. We have a tolerant society here in Bulgaria, speaking as myself being a part of the Turkish minority in this country.

What provoked this whole situation was a question from a British journalist to Gareth Southgate about his thoughts on racism in Bulgaria. He said what he had to say, the Bulgarian FA replied with some other shit and that started a media war. In the end Bulgaria was all over the news globally, downsized to be represented by a group of about 20 brainless neo-Nazis on the stands who chanted some racist shit. That's not who we are, but football matches are mostly attented by hooligans here, I guess it's common for the Balkans. And Hristo Stoichkov's reaction was mine as well. I felt ashamed.

Home of Barca Fans