Barca Legends

E

EFCB

What do people on here make of Maradona whilst wearing the Blaugrana?

Reason I ask, I have never really thought about him as a one time Barça player but I have just finished reading his autobiography and obviously he made reference to his time at Barça.

He made it quite clear that he never got on with Nunez from the word go and always felt like he was particularly liked. However, he did say that he enjoyed his time and loves the city.

I have heard stories that whilst he was at Barça, his cocaine habit started. Not sure if this is true?

One point he mentions in the book is THAT tackle by Andoni Goikoetxea. Obviously we know what happened, but he tells a story of when he signed for Sevilla from Napoli, his first match was away at Bilbao. Whilst at the hotel before the match, he had a knock at his door. It was Goikoetxea! He had come to shake Maradona's hand and aplogise for the tackle all them years ago.

Now I don't think he will go down as a Barça legend, but surely a legend who played for Barça? His record of 22 goals in 36 games isn't too bad hey?

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
Now I don't think he will go down as a Barça legend, but surely a legend who played for Barça? His record of 22 goals in 36 games isn't too bad hey?

Hi!

I agree with you. Infortunately, we don't have much to say about his time at Barcelona. Some good exibitions, a coupke of good marches, but nothing more. Ok, we must see his problem with Goikoetxea tackle, but even without this, his performe was only "regular - less".
I think it's better talk only in "a legend who played for Barça".

NikhilNair

Well similar person you can say is Ronaldo!!!
League: 34 goals in 37 games and
Overall: 45 goals in 48 games
Well just one season, but left a huge impact... won the world player of the year...

Sir Bobby Robson himself quoted(Hope its not too long):
The best player I ever worked with? Tough competition, but it has to be Brazil's Ronaldo. I signed him for Barcelona in 1996 after I failed to get Alan Shearer from Blackburn.
Ronaldo was lean, mean, as quick as an Olympic sprinter and some of the goals he scored had me shaking my head in disbelief.
In fact one of the great joys of my year coaching Barcelona to three trophies was having the world's best player Ronaldo in my team. There is no doubt about the part he played in our success: in forty-eight starts he scored an incredible forty-five goals. He was portrayed as a greedy young man but I never had a problem with him or his attitude; in fact the biggest problem I had with the lad was getting him off the training pitch because he would always say, 'Please Meester, just a leetle longer, just a few more shots.' "He was a great player and a brilliant boy to work with. He liked a joke in the dressing room but he respected the senior players. He was a fine boy who trained well and, as far as I concerned, he wanted to stay with Barcelona a lot longer. It was other people who decided his fate and his future.
I have worked with some outstanding players during my life, players from every corner of the globe, but he was in a different class and when you consider that he was only twenty when he came to Barcelona it made him very special indeed. He is strong and quick over fifty metres, has a side-step that is lightening-quick with the ball at his feet, and he can shield the ball, turn and beat defenders in the twinkle of an eye. He has the ability, the talent and the temperament to be not just the best in the world but maybe even the best ever. As good as Pelé and I cannot go any higher than that. I believe only injury will stop him developing into one of the all-time greats, possibly the greatest of them all. In terms of potential he is a cut above anything else I have seen.
In his short stay he had left an indelible impression on myself and the people of Barcelona. He reminded me of Diego Maradona the way he went past defenders. He was one of the quickest players I ever saw with the ball at his feet, strong enough to take a buffeting and a whacking. He can play with his back to goal or drive forward, stay on his feet or go past people. I have seen tough defenders bounce off him. Where Romário was lightening-quick over ten metres, this boy could sustain his pace over fifty, accelerating past his marker never to be caught. It means he can come deep to pick up the ball and see what is in front of him; then he can use his pace or his dribbling skills to take on defenders. Ronaldo can beat opponents just like George Best used to do in his great years. He was as good a buy as I ever bought in my career."

I wont compare him with other Barca legends.. but he surely is a legend, who played for barca and contributed a lot(even if its just for one season)

SwiftGuyver

my list of Barca Legends...

Johan Cruyff
Josep Guardiola
Juan Manuel Asensi
Carles Rexach
Luis Enrique
Ronald Koeman
Hristo Stoichkov
Michael Laudrup
José María Bakero
Txiki Begiristain
Andoni Zubizarreta
Rivaldo
Patrick Kluivert
Ronaldinho
Samuel Eto'o

those are the true greats in my opinion...

also got to mention...

Romário
Ronaldo
Diego Maradona

all 3 would have gone down as true Barcelona Legends if they had stayed longer than 1 season...but boy...wow...what amazing seasons they all had with Barca...haha...i remember as a kid i cried when Ronaldo left for Inter...

and current players who will join the list in the future...

Carles Puyol
Xavi
Andrés Iniesta
Lionel Messi
Víctor Valdés

Last edited:

knicks

Do ya feel lucky, punk?
Do you forget oldRonaldo? The king of kings?

He was the legend,wasn't he?

stillRonaldo<3.

Pete

I think if Maradona had stayed, he would have been regarded the greatest player ever to play for Barcelona but I think it players like Cruyff, Messi, Laudrup, Ronaldo, Romario etc all have a shout to claim this title.

Home of Barca Fans