Villarreal CF

Messi983

Any new signings? My 2nd favorite club. Always had a thing for yellow submarine.

I like them too.

They've bought forwards Gerard Moreno (didn't like him during his Asspanyol days but no doubt he's a very good forward) and Toko Ekambi (Angers) who's apparently similar to Bakambu. 21 year old Argentinian Santiago Caseres (Velez Sarsfield) was signed as a replacement for Rodri while Ramiro Funes Mori (CB) and Miguel Layun (RB/LB) should improve depth of their defense. There were also rumours about Bacca returning but haven't heard anything about this for weeks and with Ekambi and Moreno they probably don't need him anymore.

Santi Cazorla is also doing a preseason with Villarreal. He has gone through some serious injuries, had around 10 surgeries IIRC over the past few years and almost lost his leg because of gangrene but he has played in a friendly match two or three days ago after almost 2 years without playing. I've always liked him and am rooting he makes a comeback but don't know if Villarreal can seriously count on him this year (and given his age he's not a longerm solution either) but obviously the club knows a lot more about his recovery status.

They should have a pretty solid team again:

Asenjo; Gaspar, Alvaro G., Ruiz, Jaume Costa; Caseres; Trigueros, Fornals; Castillejo; Ekambi, Moreno

with Fernandez; Layun, Bonera, Funes Mori, Marin; Bruno Soriano, Javi Fuego, Cazorla/Morlanes?; Raba, Cheryshev/Pedraza, Enes Unal as backups

Both Italians (Soriano and Sansone) are not in Calleja's plans and on their way out and the same could happen with Cheryshev if they get a good offer after his great WC. There are also question marks about Bruno Soriano (he missed whole last season) and Cazorla's health so they could maybe bring another midfielder or give a chance to one of their youngsters like Morlanes or Ramiro Guerra. I've read rumours they are also chasing a young Argentinian winger whose name has slipped my mind eventhough Calleja likes Raba and Alfonso Pedraza should also get a bigger role in the team after a good loan spell with Alaves last season. Teams like Milan (lol) and Napoli are also interested in Castillejo but don't think they'll let him go under his buy out clause which is 40M IIRC. Would be a pretty big blow if they would lose him though especially late in the transfer window.

Messi983

:thumbsup:

Have a question, if I may? Where do you follow all the rumors and news regarding LaLiga? Competiton I watch the most but can't find much during summers. You, on the other hand, so well informed.

I mostly use fichajes.com. They are gatthering rumours from other sources and are also usually quick to publish officially confirmed deals.

Messi983

Luis García Plaza has been sacked after 0 wins in 6 games. This will be a second coaching change for the yellow submarine this season.

I hope they will finally found someone who can save them because there is no way they should be in the relegation zone with a team they have.

Messi983

And Javi Calleja is back after 50 days. :lol:

What's wrong with the clubs lately? First Monaco have brought back Jardim and now Villarreal did the same with Calleja. What's next? Mourinho returning to United after Solskjaer will lose 2-3 games? :lol:

Joan

And Javi Calleja is back after 50 days. :lol:

What's wrong with the clubs lately? First Monaco have brought back Jardim and now Villarreal did the same with Calleja. What's next? Mourinho returning to United after Solskjaer will lose 2-3 games? :lol:

I thought Javi Calleja did well enough last season. And then 2018/19 happened. Lol

Leo_Messi

They will likely stay up but so far they have been this season's biggest disappointment. With their squad and the recent investments that they have been making, they should be doing vastly better. At least they are still alive in Europe.

While Roig has been a great president and owner and turned one of the smallest clubs in one of the smallest cities in Spain with a team in the top flight, not including the recent story of Eibar, I feel that they could do with a new owner who would be investing even more. Can be said about many clubs in Spain. Richer owners and more spending power would come in handy.

Messi983

I thought Javi Calleja did well enough last season. And then 2018/19 happened. Lol

I don't think Calleja is a bad coach and to be fair to him most of their big money signings have dissapointed so far, especially strikers (Moreno, Ekambi and Bacca). He has given a chance to Chukwueze and some other of their youngsters though and that probably played a part in their decision to bring Calleja back. Other is the fact there are not many realistically available coaches out there for them.

Villarreal have made some very questionable signings over the last 2-3 years and since Bakambu has left they are having troubles to replace him. They've spend around 40M on Soriano, Sansone and Unal who are now all out on loans. And another 40M for their current forwards mentioned before who are all underperforming.

On the defense they've paid 9M for Funes Mori who is nothing special and 4M for Layun who has already left the club after just 6 months. And well, I probably don't have to mention a 15M investment in Ruben Semedo who is more likely to spent next few years behind the bars then doing something useful on the pitch.

Even with Rodri leaving I think they are still pretty good in midfield. Fornals has been a steal for 12M (but he's not at his best this season either), Cazorla has revived his career at 34 and I like Santi Caseres too though he's had some injury problems. Not totally convinced with Iborra so far but he's a proven La Liga player and think he'll do better. I still believe they've been missing Bruno Soriano's experience and influence on the pitch though. Maybe less last season with Rodri emerging but this season is evident they would need a player like him. It's sadly very likely he'll never play on a top level again though.

So while I think they are on a downward spiral since Marcelino left and both Fran Escriba first and Calleja later are a clear downgrade from Marcelino from a coaching standpoint I think Roig (or whoever is responsible for most signings) have not been doing a good job overall on the transfer market either. Obviously their team should still be good enough (on paper at least) to compete for European spots instead of being in the relegation zone.

Leo_Messi

I don't think Calleja is a bad coach and to be fair to him most of their big money signings have dissapointed so far, especially strikers (Moreno, Ekambi and Bacca). He has given a chance to Chukwueze and some other of their youngsters though and that probably played a part in their decision to bring Calleja back. Other is the fact there are not many realistically available coaches out there for them.

Villarreal have made some very questionable signings over the last 2-3 years and since Bakambu has left they are having troubles to replace him. They've spend around 40M on Soriano, Sansone and Unal who are now all out on loans. And another 40M for their current forwards mentioned before who are all underperforming.

On the defense they've paid 9M for Funes Mori who is nothing special and 4M for Layun who has already left the club after just 6 months. And well, I probably don't have to mention a 15M investment in Ruben Semedo who is more likely to spent next few years behind the bars then doing something useful on the pitch.

Even with Rodri leaving I think they are still pretty good in midfield. Fornals has been a steal for 12M (but he's not at his best this season either), Cazorla has revived his career at 34 and I like Santi Caseres too though he's had some injury problems. Not totally convinced with Iborra so far but he's a proven La Liga player and think he'll do better. I still believe they've been missing Bruno Soriano's experience and influence on the pitch though. Maybe less last season with Rodri emerging but this season is evident they would need a player like him. It's sadly very likely he'll never play on a top level again though.

So while I think they are on a downward spiral since Marcelino left and both Fran Escriba first and Calleja later are a clear downgrade from Marcelino from a coaching standpoint I think Roig (or whoever is responsible for most signings) have not been doing a good job overall on the transfer market either. Obviously their team should still be good enough (on paper at least) to compete for European spots instead of being in the relegation zone.

Bruno Soriano missing has probably been their single biggest weakness this season. In particularly after losing Rodri. You know that your CB's are not top quality nor performing well either when you have a 37 (!) year old Bonera playing this often.

None of their attackers have been scoring regularly either. Asenjo is not saving them as often as he used to either.

Probably their only highlight/positive this season has been a 19 year old Samuel Chukwueze that few if anyone knew before this season. When that is the case you know that you are struggling.

Ruben Semedo is a perfect example of their transfer policy in recent seasons.

As for Roig, see my previous post. He has not done himself any favors lately and old age might be catching up with him.

Anyway having said that, they did their job this season which was to take points from RM!

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans