Michael Essien

V

Valon

Essien wouldn't fit in our philosophy tbh, he's a fantastic player but for the job that needs to be done we've got Yaya who's better.

Quash

Ricky Martin clone
Very true, Yaya is the best DM in the world at, but Essien would be great for rotational purposes. It would be kind of stupid to go for him rather than Mascherano though because both we'd lose both him and Yaya for the ACN (assuming Ghana make it).

Cule Forever

Chelsea won't sell him. He's a fantastic player and he is better than Yaya imo, but he doesn't fit to our style of play. In addition, Barca searchs another DM just because of ACN.

Quash

Ricky Martin clone
Chelsea won't sell him. He's a fantastic player and he is better than Yaya imo, but he doesn't fit to our style of play. In addition, Barca searchs another DM just because of ACN.

I don't agree, I think Yaya is much more adaptable and flexible, not just in terms of where he plays but how he plays too, he's the most technically gifted Dm out there. Look at his goals in the Copa final, that other screamer he scored (can't remember who it was against, but he went past about 6 players in a languid, messi-esque fashion in the Liga) and the way he just strolled through United's half at will. A seriously underrated passer of the ball too.I watch a lot of Essien and Mascherano and tbh if you think either are better I can't really understand how you view football.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
He's different from Yaya though, he's more of a good balance between attack/defence, while Yaya is probably better defensively than he is attacking, so you can't completely compare them, it's not fair to. Yaya is exactly what Barca need, Essien wouldn't fit in, as good as he is. Chelsea is the perfect club for Essien at this point in time, he's exactly the type of player that we need in our midfield. Ever since Essien came back from injury we only lost 1 game, that says more than enough.

To sum it up, Essien and Yaya are different types of players but equally valuable to their sides, though I'd rather have Essien 10 times out of 10 over Yaya unless Yaya was the EXACT type of player needed for my squad.

Last edited:

Quash

Ricky Martin clone
I agree, they are both perfect for their respective clubs. not trying to take anything away from Essien, he's one of my favourite PL players, and a right legend, just I think Yaya is better. Just my opinion though, and seeing as we're each discussing our own players there's a bit of bias in there :tongue:

ranjix

Jefecito
Do Barca need any Midfielders ??? I dont kno why Barca is trying sign Mascerano. Buying Essien may lead to sell some players like Yaya.

V

Valon

We need a CM imo, since Guddy will be leaving and I don't think Hleb has what it takes to play for us.

Quash

Ricky Martin clone
Do Barca need any Midfielders ??? I dont kno why Barca is trying sign Mascerano. Buying Essien may lead to sell some players like Yaya.

Severe lack of quality in depth which will only get worse when Guddy leaves, and there's also the possibility of losing Hleb. Thiago is great but too young and inexperienced to cut it just yet against the really big teams. Watching the last 3 league games of the season showed potentially just how much trouble we could be in if Xavi or Iniesta get injured, and how much work still needs to be done to get the B squad up to a more reliable level

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
It's just his agent stirring up shit. His agent probably wants a big pay day, and as you know part of the transfer fees go to agents, so if Essien left Chelsea it would be for 30m pounds or more, in which the agent would probably get 3-6m of it.

R

Red Devil

It's just his agent stirring up shit. His agent probably wants a big pay day, and as you know part of the transfer fees go to agents, so if Essien left Chelsea it would be for 30m pounds or more, in which the agent would probably get 3-6m of it.

Ive seen a interview with him on tv and he said he supported United since he was a small child . If he was to become available I love him he is a great player a real powerhouse in the midfield Chelsea would be mad to let him go.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Yeah, he had trials at Man Utd when he was 18 or something, though he probably wasn't quite so good back then otherwise Man Utd would have signed him. Either that, or they couldn't secure a work permit.

Home of Barca Fans