Don Patricio O'Connell - Archive???

D

dessie50

Hi There,

I'm just wondering do many people know the story of Patrick O'Connell - Don Patricio, who managed FC Barcelona between 1935-37 and in many ways saved the club from financial ruin and General Franco.

I'm searching for film archive from around the time and wondering if the club itself has an archive. Would also be interested in hearing from Barcelona natives, whose fathers or grandfathers might know about the story or may have taken footage of the old team from around the time. I bet there is much out there that has yet to be uncovered.

Best regards

Des

maz

I walk the line
Sorry i dont know anything, but it would be nice to learn about him. I hope someone can help you.

Why are you interested in this particular manager?

D

dessie50

He was the only Irishman ever to manage Barcelona, he was manager when club president Sunyol was murdered and he took the team on a tour of Mexico which surely saved others from the same fate. I'm sure there must be archive out there, it will just be hard to find it.

E

Esteve

I read about him in a book about Barça I own. Played for Manchester United & a side in Belfast I think. Managed a few Spanish sides before coming to Barça, no? Not sure about any videos though. Let me know if you find any. I'll have a look too.

D

dessie50

Yes that's him, he was only manager for a short period, but also a very significant one. Im sure FC Barcelona must have an archive, who would I contact though?

maz

I walk the line
You can email the club. "oab at fcbarcelona dot cat"

They'll point you in the right direction.

D

dessie50

yes I have read that article, I have actually sent the author an email to see if he knows of the existence of any archive, I have emailed the club museum also hoping they might have some info.

maz

I walk the line
Jimmy Burns is the guy that wrote the book Barça. Im sure he will be able to help you.

Kerrybai

He was the manager of Real Betis and lead them to their first and only La Liga title.

He helped to save Barca during the war by bringing them on a North American tour. Only 4 players returned with him to Barca. The money from the tour was put in a swiss bank account away from Franco and was used to rebuild the club after the war.

Great documentary on him here. Skip to about 30 mins to see his time in Spain and with Barca. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwN2i8baWHE

Go to about 35.40 to see his time only with Barca.

frog-fcb

There is now a campaign up an running to build a memorial.and restore the grave of don patricio the saviour of barca here is the link to there facebook page they have currently got some big names behind the campaign who have donated signed shirts etc such as Cryuff koeman bale etc

https://m.facebook.com/POConnellmemorial

frog-fcb

If u look at there page it shows some of the articles.that made national news papers about there cause. They also have 2 runners going from.belfast to dublin in november to raise funds it wont be far from were i live so il.be going out to support them

frog-fcb

So todays the day two runners are leaving belfast heading for dublin to raise funds for the patrick.o connell fund hopefully weather stays good for them

Home of Barca Fans