Exposing The 4231 Formation: An Analysis

FC433

Go for Mbappe if he doesn't extend.

If we are to sell Suarez now ok get someone like Aubameyang as a stop gap.

I am not against selling Suarez like many think I am. But I am against paying money for YET ANOTHER CF like Martinez and no actual striker. We are doomed we will have spent 100m and no money next season we will be stuck with 30 year old Griezmann on 400k a week. 30 year old Coutinho on 300k a week.

Mbappe is another player that should not prevent us from changing the team. Getting him will never be easy. However, I do agree with you about Auba and I think we should try getting him.

Maybe Auba + 30-50m for Coutinho?

serghei

I also agree with Aubameyang. Would be perfect low spending - high quality option for a short term, until the team is refined.

Messigician

Mbappe is another player that should not prevent us from changing the team. Getting him will never be easy. However, I do agree with you about Auba and I think we should try getting him.

Maybe Auba + 30-50m for Coutinho?

Yeah sounds great.

Like these are the deals the club should be making.

I am upset with the Suarez situation becasue I know the only reason they want him out is to sign Martinez and we will truly be fucked if that happens.

mc_lovin

Aubameyang would be anything but low spending. Minimum of three year contract, which alone amounts to at least 45ME+ (likely more). Plus transfer fee - package of around ~80ME for 3 years. And another old player to, optimistically, replace in 2 years.

Messigician

Aubameyang would be anything but low spending. Minimum of three year contract, which alone amounts to at least 45ME+ (likely more). Plus transfer fee - package of around ~80ME for 3 years. And another old player to, optimistically, replace in 2 years.

Regardless Martinez isn't the answer

Messigician

For some perspective

Luis Suarez stats

UEFA Champions League
Matches 7
Goals 5

Laliga
Matches 28
Goals 16
Assists 8

Copa
Matches 5
Goals 3
Assists 1

Ok so ppl say Suarez only brings goals and nothing else, fair enough.

But what if we sign someone who brings everything else but cannot score? We are still in the shit.

With Messi and Suarez we struggled to score without Suarez we lose significant firepower. Martinez cannot replace his output neither can Depay we need someone like Halland or Mbappe

FCBfan22

IMO... This is the way to go:

--------------------Mats-------------------
RB---------CB-------------CB--------LB
----------Pjanić------Frenkie----------
--Dembele-----Messi------Fati-----
-----------------Griezmann--------------

There is a lot of ifs with that lineup, however IMO it could work. In defensive phase Leo and Griezmann switch positions. Fati and Dembele can provide speed. One thing that is a no is fielding Messi and Coutinho together because of workrate.

What I would do is sell Coutinho and sign a striker. Relegate Griezmann to the bench and use him as a sub for both the striker and Leo. However, the most important thing is that that striker does a lot of defensive work.

Another option is to sign a target man non-starting striker. With Dembele, Messi and Fati behind him, he would get a lot of service. A cheap Giroud type striker.

Last edited:

JPM85

It's not the formation we play in, it's the intensity our bum squad lacked the last 3 seasons which got them eliminated.

We can play any formation we want and dominate Europe again, but not with Busquets, Rakitic, Suarez, Messi & Vidal in any line-up.
Start to use players who want to work and increase stamina of our players.

Since the 15/16 season we stopped dominating the midfield and all our strategy was Messi/Suarez and get the ball from defence to forward.
I cannot remember a single CL KO game since 2016 where we dominated the midfield.

khaled_a_d

To play 4-2-3-1 well, we need to sing a fast, and hard working winger with end product. Somebody like a Pedro.

So, we'd need very hard working players in the 3 line. With Messi, Dembele and Coutinho, we already have 3 which are ranging from mediocre to terrible in this area.

That is the case in any formation.
the truth is our team have too many players who are more suited to play centrally than on the wings.
Messi/Griezmann for sure, probably Coutinho too and most like Fati in the future.
Our wingers are Coutinho/Trincao/Fati? All whom lack speed.
If Griezmann isn't counted as winger, then no need to replace Suarez with SS/CF. get winger and see who is available next year.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
This has just become much easier with Messi gone. Coutinho/Puig/Van de Beek at that number 10 position, Dembele/Fati/Trincao/Pedri as wingers, Griezmann as a mobile Tadic-like number 9. Done.

jsmhe

Nothing is called dead formation if you have the right player. Bayern won everything with this formation.

--------------------Mats-------------------
RB---------CB-------------CB--------LB
----------New DM------Frenkie----------
--Dembele-----Messi/Griezmann------Fati-----
-----------------New number 9--------------

New DM needs to have high work rate and stamina. Work horse.
New number 9 because Suarez hasn?t been replaced. Griezmann & Messi are playing the same role not a pure no 9.

Home of Barca Fans