2020/21 squad

Andresito

Staff member
What's positive (and maybe a bit negative) is, none other than Frenkie is a sure starter.
We have Coutinho and Trincao directly competing with Ansu-Griezmann-Trincao playing behind Messi, and Riqui with the CM's. The rest are backup players.

Season will be tight and rotations will have to be made.
We have empathized rotations these last seasons too, but the difference now is that no player can play shit and get away with it, although benching Messi will be hard.
For once in a long time I hope we'll see the players in best form playing, not necessarily who has the highest status.

jairzinho

Might as well keep Suarez. He is too slow. Sick of watching slow striker. I really want to see Puig start.. Somehow.

He is not the quickest striker but he is not turtle slow either. Most people underestimate his mobility. For a big guy he has good speed, can hold the ball up and is always an aerial threat which is the more obvious part of his game.

Messi983

GK: MATS, Neto
RB: Roberto, Dest/Emerson
CB: Araujo, Pique
CB: Lenglet, Garcia, Umtiti
LB: Alba, Firpo
DM: Pjanić, Busi
DM: FDJ, Puig, Alena
RW: Trincao, Braithwaite
AMC: Griezmann, Coutinho
LW: Fati, Pedri/Konrad
ST: Messi, Suarez

Andresito

Staff member
GK: MATS, Neto
RB: Roberto, Dest/Emerson
CB: Araujo, Pique
CB: Lenglet, Garcia, Umtiti
LB: Alba, Firpo
DM: Pjanić, Busi
DM: FDJ, Puig, Alena
RW: Trincao, Braithwaite
AMC: Griezmann, Coutinho
LW: Fati, Pedri/Konrad
ST: Messi, Suarez

What do we do with Dembele and Semedo?

khaled_a_d

Ok, I was having a look at current players we have, considering recent news of sales:
GK: MATS, Neto & Inaki
Fullbacks: Roberto,Alba & Firpo & Miranda
Center backs: Pique, Lenglet, Umtiti, Araujo & Todibo.

Midfield two (in 4231) : FDJ, Busquets,Pjanic,Puig,Oriol,Fernandes,Rafinha & Alena

Attackers (including AM,wingers and strikers): Coutinho, Griezmann, Trincao,Messi,Braithwaite ,Dembele, Fati & Pedri

That is 28 players, including 3 GKs which we might need to keep all 3 due to Stegen injury.
That is 25 outfield players, ideally you want no more than 20 of those, to keep spots open for B team players and allow coach to work with squad of ideal number.
At most, we can register 25 players btw, will assume 22 of them outfield players, but some can be registered as B players.
Those are players color yellow: Inaki,Miranda ,Araujo, Oriol ,Puig,Pedri & Fati. Last 2 presents problem since Pedri has odd-ons if he doesn't play with 1st team this year and Fati will have significant increase in release clause if he is promoted.
The players that should not be with 1st team and should be sold or go to B team if needed: Miranda, Oriol, Fernandes. Those 3 should be nowhere near first team.
But, we need at least 2 or 3 signings (RB, CB and may be an attacker) so we will need to get rid of at least 3-5 other players:
Rafinha,Alena & Todibo are ideal for loan or sell. Umtiti should follow but we will need to pay someone to get him from us. Braithwate should not stay if we bring in Depay tbh.
Ideally, I want Miranda,Todibo, Oriol, Rafinha, Fernandes, Umtiti, Braithwate & Alena out on loan or sell. And we bring in CB, RB and may be an attacker (though I prefer just defenders)

So squad will be:
GK:MATS, Neto & Inaki
Fullbacks: Roberto,Alba & Firpo & new RB
Center backs: Pique, Lenglet, Araujo & new signing
Central midfield: FDJ, Busquets,Pjanic & Puig
Attackers: Coutinho, Griezmann, Trincao,Messi,Dembele,Fati & Pedri

22 squad players including 3 GKs, leaves chance of the like of Konrad & Mouriba to be used, while providing decent depth in 1st team squad at same time.

FC433

^
I kind of agree with you. However, I would keep Todibo (I think he actually wants to leave because he wants to play regularly) and not sign Depay unless Umtiti is included. We have good enough squad to do well in the league.

Dest + Depay if Umtiti is part of the deal. Do our best to get Haaland as soon as possible.

Birdy

Unfortunately, they want to sell Tobido.
All the others you want gone will probably get loaned out,
or stay (Umtiti in particular)
But Firpo is also rumored to be going out on loan to Atalanta.
Plus Koeman wants to buy Depay. So there will be a change there in your 25

PhilS

Thin squad as of now, looking only at players who have a good chance of having positive impact. Rich in child labor in attack.

So far, so good in getting rid of players who must leave. But quite a bit of deadwood still needs to go.

I'm OK with Coutinho returning, but not Alena. Koeman does not rate Rafinha, though I would think he could help this bench.

Messi983

We still lack quality in certain positions but I think we have a better squad depth than last season.

After a preseason I think we have 15 players who Koeman will build around

MATS (with Neto obviously playing now he's injured), Roberto, Pique, Lenglet, Araujo, Alba, Busi, FDJ, Pjanic, Fati, Coutinho, Messi, Griezmann, Dembele and Trincao.

As long as they are healthy I think these are players who for now will be in the mix to start games. Others will need to convince him and make his way into a team or be dependent on injuries to get a chance. I also expect new (Koeman's) signings like Dest and maybe Depay also to break into the team earlier than other players so in the end I think we could have 16-17 "starters" in the team.

Which is an improvement over last season when we've had 13 players with over 2.000 minutes (with 8 of them playing more than 3.000 minutes and Semedo also just a few minutes away from that mark) and Arthur (lol) the only other surpassing 1.500 total minutes.

I think with 5 subs there will be more rotations this year and we should have 15-16 players playing close to or over 2.000 minutes. OTOH I don't think there should be more than 5-6 players playing more than 3.000 minutes and surely there is no need for someone to play over 3.600 minutes or so.

Average age of the 13 most used players last season was 29,6 years at the end of the season while for the 15 players mentioned above right now is 26,73. If we add Dest (and Depay) it will drop a bit more and if players like Puig and/or Pedri could establish themselves even more.

Still far from ideal but you have to start somewhere and we did. I don't expect wonders but I'm still cautiously optimistic and look forward to a new season.

Home of Barca Fans