Premier League 2020/2021

Who will win the Premier League?

• Total voters

Birdy

Uh no, disagree, depends on the side
We don't know what they've been telling their managers. The offense is newly assembled in almost its entirety, not to mention defense which has only had an old CB and a new keeper come in. If you assume some reason, they're very unlikely telling them 'win now'. Realistic expectation is top4 + title challenge if ambitious and performing above expectations, but not grounds for disappointment if not achieved. Sackings may attest to the contrary but also kind of poor character judgement. Similar to United. If anything such pressure is more expected at Spurs where squad is not new and wants a title before they likely disperse and move on for new challenge. Even though they're some distance behind Liverpool and turns out even City in the league + several other teams better than them in cups. And Spurs were not doing a 'toxic' thing to put such expectation on Mourinho.

Again not necessarily they arent. And why is a cup win not success? Depends which team. Also define 'instant'. To stick with the earlier example, as of before kick-off vs Wycombe today, Mourinho is fighting on 4 fronts (if you include Carabao) after 6 months of mediocrity and really very good autumn in 20/21. They're considered one of the heavy favourites for Europa along with United and maybe Milan. After 1 year in a job.

Lampard only had 4-5 months more than Jose, arguably did well to secure top4 and arguably unjustly sacked tho there are clearly reasons for why their plan failed. He has a fair share of the blame as he has repeatedly proven he thinks every player should react and think like he would back in his hayday. Which is a rookie manager error really. But until more evidence comes to light, we don't know just how deep Chelsea issues are rooted. I suspect in some ways it's similar to Madrid - lack of leaders, politics..

Depends on the cup yes, if a top team wins a League Cup let's say, that can be considered a success if in the process of building and moving to better and greater successes. But if a League Cup is a terminal success of a team, then no it's not an important achievement for a top club.
Champions League, for instance, is always an important achievement because the prestige that goes with it and on some occasions, like Barca recently, it can become an obsession.
But still, the league only certifies that a team has reached the required level, because of the format of a cup competition where luck plays an important role and where defensive-minded sides usually fare better.

Now, 'instant success' would be for Mourinho to win last years CL (more difficult), or even FA cup (more easy).
If you recall how instantly a change of coach could improve a certain team let's say back in 2004 (Mou becoming Chelsea's coach, and Chelsea instantly overtook Arsenal, United in England and instantly became CL contenders). You would rarely see that now.
On the contrary, you see Pep taking charge of City and taking more than 1 year to sort things out before he can win the league, or Klopp taking more than 2 seasons to raise Liverpool's level and be a genuine contender for CL and for the league, or Poch taking 3 seasons to do so with Spurs.
Patching up things a little bit and just managing is not enough anymore to win a title, let alone having a team being consistent contenders for biggest trophies.

Seeing Lamps' case from that pov, you can see how wrong Chelsea's decision to sack him is football-wise.
I agree we don't know what's going on behind close doors, and if there are locker-room issues, but what comes out in the press from Chelsea's hierarchy is 'disappointment' because the team is below where they wanted to be in the league, and 'disappointment' because the new signings are not all firing in all cylinders.
If true, the only thing it shows is how bad judgment their board exerts football-wise.
The progress has been significant on the pitch, and they were also on track to be top-3 this season as well:
EsVb2hOWMAI7-xA

I don't know what kind of consultants are close to Abramovic and Marina, but - for instance - you can't just look at the standings and the results, without looking at the performances. xG ranking most of the times balances out by the end of the season. Results would have been coming in soon.
Similarly about the new signings, you have to give them time to find coherence and coordination with one another, before being disappointed.
I don't know if on the top of all that, they demanded a trophy, even a minor, but if they did, that would show more of how they cannot judge properly.

My point is, I don't think Abramovic has changed at all from the times when he was sacking Mourinho, to hire Grant, to sack him, to hire Scolari, to sack him, and bring in Hidding, all within 1.5 year, and with the delusioned idea that someone would have the magic patch to win instantly...

Jenks

I think after Liverpool got those injuries to VVD and Gomez quite a lot of people thought City would win it.

BarcaOG

Banned
Has Gundogan ever played better for City than this season?

he's had great moments here and there (throughout his stay at city he has always come in and out of the starting 11) but the current string of performances hes on has been his most consistent so far. so yes!

Home of Barca Fans