Ernesto Valverde: An Analysis of his tenure

Messigician

Miss you mister :( Messi was scoring every game with you here, Suarez was during on all cylinders and you made Pique and Lenglet look like a functional unit with fkn Roberto as right back.

Can only imagine what you could have achieved this season with Pedri, Dest, Araujo.

Instead you nearly went undefeated with a past it iniesta, Rakitic, Busquets, Paulinho midfield with Suarez and Messi up front barely defending.

My Manager...

BarcaOG

Banned
Miss you mister :( Messi was scoring every game with you here, Suarez was during on all cylinders and you made Pique and Lenglet look like a functional unit with fkn Roberto as right back.

Can only imagine what you could have achieved this season with Pedri, Dest, Araujo.

Instead you nearly went undefeated with a past it iniesta, Rakitic, Busquets, Paulinho midfield with Suarez and Messi up front barely defending.

My Manager...

you're pathetic lol, this is just sad

malvolio

since we didn't fire him after liverpool, we might as well have kept him.

all the trasnfers of managers and players that we've done after valverde was sacked have been shit.

we could have kept him, rakitic and suarez for one more year, until the new board came in. surely we wouldn't have been worse than how we are now. waste of money on average managers and players.

Messigician

all the trasnfers of managers and players that we've done after valverde was sacked have been shit.

we could have kept him, rakitic and suarez for one more year, until the new board came in. surely we wouldn't have been worse than how we are now. waste of money on average managers and players.

This

FinBarcelonafan

Those guys were overpaid and we are broke. We had to sell them. Suarez makes what, 25mil a season. Jeez.

malvolio

Those guys were overpaid and we are broke. We had to sell them. Suarez makes what, 25mil a season. Jeez.

if we wouldn't have bought braithwaite and trincao, money wouldn't have been and issue.

suarez would have been gone in summer 2021 anyway.

also, sacking valverde, setien and getting koemann lost us a couple of millions.

JamDav1982

Valverdes time was up as he chose to approach it by setting up team for the older players and it worked for a time but could see last season it was done.

The changes being made now will benefit the next coach even if this season no trophies will be challenged for which would have been the case even if Barca had kept the older players most likely.

malvolio

Valverdes time was up as he chose to approach it by setting up team for the older players and it worked for a time but could see last season it was done.

The changes being made now will benefit the next coach even if this season no trophies will be challenged for which would have been the case even if Barca had kept the older players.

what changes are we talking about? swtichng to the bloody awful 4231?

fati started getting minutes with valverde. pedri would have been rotated anyway. getting a RB was on the cards. playing inexperienced kids at CB happened because of injuries.

otherwise can't see anything that makes me believe we are truly rebuilding. or that we couldn't have done that with valverde around for one more year.

JamDav1982

what changes are we talking about? swtichng to the bloody awful 4231?

fati started getting minutes with valverde. pedri would have been rotated anyway. getting a RB was on the cards. playing inexperienced kids at CB happened because of injuries.

otherwise can't see anything that makes me believe we are truly rebuilding.

Getting rid of older players and starting rebuild with experience for younger players, removing influence of those older players etc.

I was not a EV hater and stuck up for him a fair bit at times but still felt his time was over as the direction he took was over.. even if was the best way to get results in his time.

The team are playing better football in how Barca should play this season in my opinion but missing too many chances, lack a CF and making errors at back some of that is on Koeman some isnt but much prefer watching this Barca than team base on tactics and training to suit the older players which is all it would have been again.

You dont rate him but I still think FDJ is the one player Barca have that midfield needs to be built for and signs of that starting to work and had to move away from the team of Messi/Suarez together.

malvolio

Getting rid of older players and starting rebuild with experience for younger players, removing influence of those older players etc.

I was not a EV hater and stuck up for him a fair bit at times but still felt his time was over as the direction he took was over.. even if was the best way to get results in his time.

The team are playing better football in how Barca should play this season in my opinion but missing too many chances, lack a CF and making errors at back some of that is on Koeman some isnt but much prefer watching this Barca than team base on tactics and training to suit the older players which is all it would have been again.

experience for fati and pedri would have come more naturally, considering they are very young. otherwise what are those youngsters that wouldn't have got minutes?

we would have scored more/conceded less most probably - but that's speculation, i admit.

we are playing more enthusiastically now, but we are all over the place. any half decent team can dismantle us.

my take is that we wouldn't have lost anything by keeping valverde until new board came in. as i don't see any major change for the better with koemann. does he have a first 11 yet?

Last edited:

JamDav1982

experience for fati and pedri would have come more naturally, considering they are very young. otherwise what are those youngsters that wouldn't have got minutes?

we would have scored more/conceded less most probably - but that's speculation, i admit.

we are playing more enthusiastically now, but we are all over the place. any half decent team can dismantle us.

Fati yes but I dont think can assume that Dest, Aruajo, Mingueza, Pedri get same minutes in team built for older players and also the way FDJ is looking like he is finding his place most likely not happen either.

Any half decent team was beating EV and Setiens old Barca anyway towards latter part of last season and was just going to get worse.

For me I can take Barca being a bit all over place if think working towards improving team in way want to see it play rather than watching old, leggy Barca who dont train or play with intensity as old core cant cope with it.

FinBarcelonafan

if we wouldn't have bought braithwaite and trincao, money wouldn't have been and issue.

suarez would have been gone in summer 2021 anyway.

also, sacking valverde, setien and getting koemann lost us a couple of millions.

Suarez wouldn't be gone. He had clause in his contract If he played over 60% of the games his contract would have continued till end of the season 2022. We had to get rid of him.

Home of Barca Fans