CL | 1/4 Final: FC Barcelona - FC Bayern Munich 2-8

Birdy

Great thread here, about the two possible approaches Barca can use tonight:
1) the lower variance approach (higher floor, lower ceiling), which is a conservative 4-3-1-2
2) the higher variance approach (lower floor, higher ceiling), which is a risky 4-3-3.
The author would go with 2, it looks like Setien is going with 1.

PS: Honestly If I were Setien, I would not give a damn about pleasing the Amigos tonight.
He is about the get sacked. Why bent over to the Amigos and play Suarez for example, knowing that a humiliation will bear a mark on his name forever?

It's maybe his ultimate or penultimate game as Barca coach. He has nothing to lose. Sacking is coming anyways, and in the unlikely scenario he wins CL with his own approach, he will show everyone what the correct way to play is.

snowy

I dig Barcanatic's 2nd approach the most. Excellent poster this dude :thumbsup: Would play Sem and Bob (rm) on the right though for double support with Dej on left. Could play both approaches, one in each half to spare player's stamina and prevent Bayern from devising an adaptation plan in half-time.

GO BIG OR GO HOME ! :rockon:

Devils

Moise (ESPN): Barcelona squad is as follows:

Ter Stegen
Alba, Lenglet, Pique, Semedo
Busquets, FDJ, Sergi Roberto, Vidal
Messi, Suarez

We're going out of the CL, dawgs.

Quiquesto Setverde gonna get us killed omg.

Neymessi

Ter Stegen
Messi, Suarez

What's your preferred lineup?

MTL_Barca

Back to our tried and trusted CL humiliation lineup, should play Rakitic as well just for the sake of keeping our traditions alive :)

Devils

What's your preferred lineup?

Suarez - Griezmann
Messi
De Jong - Roberto
Busi
Alba - Lenglet - Pique - Semedo
MAtS​

4-3-1-2

Messi and and Suarez in a 4-4-2 as being reported would be a total disaster. Bayern will pocket both Messi and Saurez with ease. At least with Messi behind Suarez and Griezmann, Messi would see more of the ball and we have more dynamics in attack.

Jaguar

Flair Trait

Ter Stegen
Messi, Suarez

You say that like with a slight line up change we would miraculously have a good chance 😂 We are 90% getting outclassed and put out badly whatever lineup. However if we somehow keep it a draw or losing by just 1 goal and put Dembele on in the last 15 - 20 minutes then a slight chance increase, that's about it though.

stk93

Suarez - Griezmann
Messi
De Jong - Roberto
Busi
Alba - Lenglet - Pique - Semedo
MAtS​

4-3-1-2

Messi and and Suarez in a 4-4-2 as being reported would be a total disaster. Bayern will pocket both Messi and Saurez with ease. At least with Messi behind Suarez and Griezmann, Messi would see more of the ball and we have more dynamics in attack.

nice one.. we play something like this vs villarreal
their right side is strong aswel so i will change roberto with de jong, he can help alba more than de jong, on the other side will be griez also to help semedo (kimmich-gnabry is scary asf)

Last edited:

Tackle

I sympathise with Setien. He has no great options. This is one of the better lineups he could have gone with.

Leo and Luis will not defend one bit so as well pack the midfield with energetic players like De Jong, Roberto and Vidal. Vidal and Roberto can take turns making forward runs to provide support for the front two.

Better than playing with Griezmann on the wing. May as well be fielding 10 men.

Playing Messi behind Griezmann and Suarez also seems counter intuitive in a match where we are such heavy underdogs. We will not have much possession in those central areas on the edge of the box for that formation to pay dividends. For a lot of the match we will be on the back foot absorbing pressure. An extra midfielder is much more useful in such cases.

stk93

I sympathise with Setien. He has no great options. This is one of the better lineups he could have gone with.

Leo and Luis will not defend one bit so as well pack the midfield with energetic players like De Jong, Roberto and Vidal. Vidal and Roberto can take turns making forward runs to provide support for the front two.

Better than playing with Griezmann on the wing. May as well be fielding 10 men.

Playing Messi behind Griezmann and Suarez also seems counter intuitive in a match where we are such heavy underdogs. We will not have much possession in those central areas on the edge of the box for that formation to pay dividends. For a lot of the match we will be on the back foot absorbing pressure. An extra midfielder is much more useful in such cases.

their superiority is on the wings kimmich-gnabry, davies-coman/perisic
in mid they have thiago, goretzka and muller, cmon...
the mistake will be to focus on their mid...

Tackle

their superiority is on the wings kimmich-gnabry, davies-coman/perisic
in mid they have thiago, goretzka and muller, cmon...
the mistake will be to focus on their mid...

Not a case of focusing on one or the other. Regardless of what the formation is on paper we will likely be defending in two banks of four. In the case of playing Griezmann he would have to drop off into midfield when Bayern have possession and cover as the 4th man. I would simply rather have a dedicated 4th midfielder instead. Don't think Griez offers enough going forward to justify sacrificing some positional solidarity.

Who knows though. Maybe he ends up starting and scores the winning goal. :lol: It is football after all. Your guess is as good as mine.

vinni

Geez, I still have a good feeling, but I wasn't this nervous since we played Bayern last time in 2015. Trying to drink it away in the park before the match lol. Best of luck tonight all. :barcascarf:

Home of Barca Fans