Setien's 4-3-3 probable lineup:
----------------------Mats-----------------------
---Semedo-----Pique----Lenglet--------Alba--
-----------------------Busi----------------------
------------Vidal-------------------FDJ----------
--------------------------------------------------
-------Messi--------------------------Griez-----
---------------------Suarez---------------------

Agreed. These two formations are the most realistic ones we can choose from. But the 4-3-3 most likely will look like a 4-3-1-2 too.

JamDav1982

Can see why reports say 442.

Play 433 and Bayern will target Messi not tracking back on RW all game long and could cause mayhem if Davies fit.

Play 4312 and same thing will happen as did with Napoli... Bayern get all the space down the wings and midfield stretched to cover. Midfield is too slow and Messi/Suarez cant help defensively with full backs.

Almost have to go 442 as cant play another formation and not expect to get completely exposed out wide as front two dont have legs to help defensively.

Messi did have quite a few moments when pressed v Napoli to be fair but when he does it it is not really part of team pressing unit or tracking back it is more trying to take opportunities and catch out opposition when dont expect it. As he did with penalty.

Cant see Barca going anything but 442 and if they do expect Bayern to batter Barca out wide.

Messi983

- Red: Raki / Busi combo midfield === we are doomed. Rumors about Rakitic disappointing the coaching stuff, pretty much eliminate these lineups.
- Yellow: Fati is a little to green in my opinion to start this. Would surely be good as a sub later. Setien will not start him anyway.
- Green: My preferred lineup too. Not with Suarez from the start though. This one depends heavily on Puig playing up to his standards and not choking against the bullies. Setien will not play this though.

Setien's 4-4-2 probable lineup:
------------Bob-------------------FDJ----------
----------------------Vidal----------------------
-------Messi----------------Suarez-------------

Vidal shouldn't start in a 3-man midfield imo.

I think the only dilemma Setien has is between Griezmann and Vidal.

FinBarcelonafan

Can see why reports say 442.

Play 433 and Bayern will target Messi not tracking back on RW all game long and could cause mayhem if Davies fit.

Play 4312 and same thing will happen as did with Napoli... Bayern get all the space down the wings and midfield stretched to cover. Midfield is too slow and Messi/Suarez cant help defensively with full backs.

Almost have to go 442 as cant play another formation and not expect to get completely exposed out wide as front two dont have legs to help defensively.

Messi did have quite a few moments when pressed v Napoli to be fair but when he does it it is not really part of team pressing unit or tracking back it is more trying to take opportunities and catch out opposition when dont expect it. As he did with penalty.

Cant see Barca going anything but 442 and if they do expect Bayern to batter Barca out wide.

Yeah exactly, Messi is an quiet assassin with his movement and opponents rarely expect him to press so it works okay. Sadly Suarez tries to be the same without the same speed/acceleration = worthless pressing. When was the last time Suarez stole the ball? I can't remember..

Suarez used to be world class press machine.

FinBarcelonafan

Vidal shouldn't start in a 3-man midfield imo.

I think the only dilemma Setien has is between Griezmann and Vidal.

We probably need Vidal in midfield so he can cause mayhem but he would be a great sub too. I think we need Vidal to help Alba/Semedo and run for potential goals. Vidal is probably bigger threat than Griezmann when it comes to scoring.

kattanib

- Red: Raki / Busi combo midfield === we are doomed. Rumors about Rakitic disappointing the coaching stuff, pretty much eliminate these lineups.
- Yellow: Fati is a little to green in my opinion to start this. Would surely be good as a sub later. Setien will not start him anyway.
- Green: My preferred lineup too. Not with Suarez from the start though. This one depends heavily on Puig playing up to his standards and not choking against the bullies. Setien will not play this though.

Setien's 4-4-2 probable lineup:
------------Bob-------------------FDJ----------
----------------------Vidal----------------------
-------Messi----------------Suarez-------------

That last formation is the one that scares me the most. It is the most likely one yet it is a 100% guarantee loss since there aren?t enough players to control the game

FinBarcelonafan

That last formation is the one that scares me the most. It is the most likely one yet it is a 100% guarantee loss since there aren?t enough players to control the game

Yes I agree. We must win the midfield battle. If they control the ball and we turtle it up, we are finished. We can't let that happen and I think that's the problem with Griez starting. I am afraid the midfield would be too weak.

Messi983

We probably need Vidal in midfield so he can cause mayhem but he would be a great sub too. I think we need Vidal to help Alba/Semedo

With Vidal I'm just concerned about him keeping his nerves under control in a big game and not do something stupid. He's usually also better coming off the bench, that's why I prefer to start Griezmann.

We can play 4-3-1-2 offensively turning into 4-4-2 defensively with Bob and Griez as wide midfielders helping Semedo and Alba. Especially Semedo will need all the help he can get against Davies (if he'll play).

FinBarcelonafan

With Vidal I'm just concerned about him keeping his nerves under control in a big game and not do something stupid. He's usually also better coming off the bench, that's why I prefer to start Griezmann.

We can play 4-3-1-2 offensively turning into 4-4-2 defensively with Bob and Griez as wide midfielders helping Semedo and Alba. Especially Semedo will need all the help he can get against Davies (if he'll play).

Yes, that wouldnt be the worst. I agree about Vidal. He is a grenade ready to explode. As a sub he is good.

Neymessi

The mindset of many people in this forum is disgusting. How can you doubt your team? If you don?t believe in your team then who would? It isn?t arrogance, it is a mindset. You need to believe that your team has what it takes, they just need to play their A game and they plan to do so. If you don?t believe that then what use do you offer to this club?

I had an ex who was was a Barca follower and she had this same shitty mindset and would give me a lot of shit when I used to badmouth the team during the EV days.

I am most definitely going to doubt my club when it plays shit consistently. Do you want us to go la la and be over delusional of our chances? Sorry I definitely won't. Bayern is a good level above us and I will always maintain my stance that they have higher chances of going through.

Truth is fans like you are the ones who are detrimental for the club because instead of changes and improvements you reinforce the problems by promoting what is wrong.

Raki13

Doesnt matter what formation is picked or which players are picked , theres no chance we are beating Bayern.

Daisymorr

I think we should keep Messi away from Davies at left back, although he is young and inexperienced he is exceptional and has pace that Messi wont be able to compete with hence his dribbling wont be as effective. I would try play Messi in behind Suarez where they can link better together. Potentially play 4-2-3-1 with FDJ and Busi as holding mids, Fati and Roberto wide with Messi as 10 and Suarez as 9..

We need Messi as involved as possible in the middle to have a chance.

Thoughts?

henias

I think we should keep Messi away from Davies at left back, although he is young and inexperienced he is exceptional and has pace that Messi wont be able to compete with hence his dribbling wont be as effective. I would try play Messi in behind Suarez where they can link better together. Potentially play 4-2-3-1 with FDJ and Busi as holding mids, Fati and Roberto wide with Messi as 10 and Suarez as 9..

We need Messi as involved as possible in the middle to have a chance.

Thoughts?

Yeah no worries, Messi plays predominantly in the middle and the the right half space. we are using the 442 so it furthers facilitates his involvement as a second striker and not a winger. A 4231 however, prohibits and allows less freedom for Messi as a free role. Rest assured he will be everywhere on that pitch so he won't be that easy to track

Gaudi

Messi can deal with anyone, no worries, but passing to Nessi and then moving to recieve the ball from him is the real challenge for us.

Home of Barca Fans