CL | 1/4 Final: FC Barcelona - FC Bayern Munich 2-8

FCBfan22

We are off to Portugal. And we are playing FC Bayern Munich in Lisbon, on Friday, 14th of August 2020 at 21:00 CET. It's a 1 match tie.

If we get past Bayern, we play the winner of Manchester City - Lyon tie on 19th of August.

15969206394207.jpg

Last edited:

FC B

Shouldn't start Griez as he's a dead hand just like yesterday night, just like usual...

FCBfan22

As I said in the FDJ topic, I wouldn't play Suarez, nor Griezmann. Both of them provide nothing. Personally, I would go with 4-4-2 diamond:

-------------MATS-------------
Semedo--Pique-Lenglet--Alba
-----------Busquets-----------
----Vidal/Bob-----De Jong----
-------------Puig---------------
------Messi---------Fati--------

This lineup is a good combination of youth/speed/hunger and experience. We lose the deadweights in Griezmann and Suarez, bench the abysmal Rakitić and add some pace and hunger. The only question here IMO is should we play Vidal or Bob at RCM (the other should be subbed in at 55th minute or so).

But Suarez and maybe Griezmann will start. And we will defend with 8 again.

mc_lovin

Shouldn't start Griez as he's a dead hand just like yesterday night, just like usual...

Hes a placeholder as a starter, but downright terrible as an impact sub :lol: I hope for Fati-Messi-Griezmann and Suarez after 60 minutes, wont happen though.

FC B

As I said in the FDJ topic, I wouldn't play Suarez, nor Griezmann. Both of them provide nothing. Personally, I would go with 4-4-2 diamond:

-------------MATS-------------
Semedo--Pique-Lenglet--Alba
-----------Busquets-----------
----Vidal/Bob-----De Jong----
-------------Puig---------------
------Messi---------Fati--------

This lineup is a good combination of youth/speed/hunger and experience. We lose the deadweights in Griezmann and Suarez, bench the abysmal Rakitić and add some pace and hunger. The only question here IMO is should we play Vidal or Bob at RCM (the other should be subbed in at 55th minute or so).

But Suarez and maybe Griezmann will start. And we will defend with 8 again.

Sadly never gonna see that in such a game from Valverde 2.0...

FCBfan22

Sadly never gonna see that in such a game from Valverde 2.0...

This. Despite all of those players that are in that lineup rightfully deserve to start. Fati deserves to start over Suarez and Griezmann, based on last few performances. Puig deserves to be there. Rakitić deserves to be benched. If we had alternatives for Alba and Pique, there should be some questions to...

But there is never a single question. Amigos y nada mas.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
We are going to get demolished. Don’t remember us being such big underdogs in a long time. It’s actually embarrassing how much we have declined. Most people seem to be talking about how many goals Bayern will score, not about what team is going to win. We are being made a laughing stock even before the game has been played this time around. That’s what our historical chokes in the CL has lead to.

FinBarcelonafan

We are going to get demolished. Don?t remember us being such big underdogs in a long time. It?s actually embarrassing how much we have declined. Most people seem to be talking about how many goals Bayern will score, not about what team is going to win. We are being made a laughing stock even before the game has been played this time around. That?s what our historical chokes in the CL has lead to.

It is what it is. Now we can only hope for a miracle. We are huge underdogs. Let's go! Messi miracle and we might get through.

TrueCule

We are going to get demolished. Don’t remember us being such big underdogs in a long time. It’s actually embarrassing how much we have declined. Most people seem to be talking about how many goals Bayern will score, not about what team is going to win. We are being made a laughing stock even before the game has been played this time around. That’s what our historical chokes in the CL has lead to.

That's what goes in our favour tbh. Nobody expects us to win, which why our players will be more relaxed than they were when they had to defend the 4-1 and 3-0 lead. Bayern doesn't know how to defend which is another good thing for us. Remember the last match against Villareal? They opened up too much and we sliced them apart. I hope that Setien will use the diamond formation with Luisito and Messi in attack, waiting for the counter.

FinBarcelonafan

If we continue to play conservative we stand a chance.
Messi as goal scorer is what we need, not a creator. Alba & Semedo being more defensive was good adjustment by him. They provide much help to defense and Napoli relied on crosses or plays from inside to create anything against us.
Bayern & City aren't teams we stand a chance to win midfield battle with them or make our full back go YOLO in attack.
Saly, Busquets coming back may change that.

You are right. We need to play disciplined game. We are not going to win the midfield match. As long as we pick our spots and Suarez/Messi provide a moment of magic, we have a chance. Low scoring game would play in our favour. If we are going head to head, high intensity we will be run over badly.

messid10s

It's more likely than not that we will lose. There are some reasons for optimism however:

1. It's a one off game better chance of beating in Bayern in one game over a two legged tie no psychological block this time with having to defend a lead from the previous leg all down to what happens on the night
2. It's at a neutral ground with no fans we've really struggled in away games with hostile crowds and blown big leads which won't be a factor here
3. We're underdogs the pressure is off in this game maybe the team can play with freedom and go for it and a surprise might happen
4. The climate in Portugal should suit us more than Bayern
5. We have Messi who can always produce a moment of genius if it's tight

While I think we'll lose I don't think it'll be hammering like some people think and will be a lot tighter than some people are expecting maybe 3-1 as a final score or something. Ultimately as long as the players really give it a good go I'm not gonna be mad if we lose, Bayern have a better team at the minute and if we lose it is what it is.

FCBfan22

We need a few miracles in a row to win the CL.

1. Get past Bayern
2. Hope that Lyon somehow eliminates City if not, get past City
3. Beat whoever we get in the final. Atleti or P$G.

Geting past Bayern and City is extremely unlikely and if we reach the final, it'll be a miracle in itself.

FinBarcelonafan

We need a few miracles in a row to win the CL.

1. Get past Bayern
2. Hope that Lyon somehow eliminates City if not, get past City
3. Beat whoever we get in the final. Atleti or P$G.

Geting past Bayern and City is extremely unlikely and if we reach the final, it'll be a miracle in itself.

I think final we would have pretty good chance but to make it there,it's a slim chance.

Birdy

OK, this is becoming funny.
Apparently, and from reports coming out also, the 2nd half display was strategic decision. To give them the ball, sit back, and put the game into 'sleep'. Because the Amigos realized they don't have the stamina to press and run for the whole game, supposedly that trick will do it.

It "worked" against Napoli with a 2 goal advantage. Supposedly Setien and Amigos think they can repeat the same against Bayern. :lol: :lol: :lol: (I cannot put as many lol s as this statement deserves)
They seem to have learnt nothing from Ernie days where Ernie had the same idea for most LaLiga matches besides CL, and the team looked horrible and was giving away big chances to mediocre sides hoping Ter Stegen would save their ass.

Napoli finished 7th this season in Serie A, behind Juventus, Inter, Atalanta, Lazio, Roma, Milan. We are talking about a mediocre team in Europe, who would probably go out against most contenders of the last 16.
And in the second half they looked much better, they even had decent chances. And I am sure many of you would say we were much better yesterday in terms of chances in the first half. The scoreline is completely distorting.
Here is what happened yesterday:
Ee7cfMtXoAAPqYj

And Setien thinks they can do the same against Bayern?
A Bayern which does not let you approach the halfway line with intense pressing, and which when in possession suffocates much better defensive lines than our might defense at the moment.

And then Setien thinks hey can do it also against City?
So, he thinks the same strategy that "worked" against the 7th placed team in Serie A and one of the worst 16 teams left in Champions League, would work against the 2 out of the top-3 sides in Europe at the moment?

And then in the final?
:lol:

Sing your prayers guys...

Home of Barca Fans