Lliga | Round 34: Villarreal CF - FC Barcelona 1-4

eaman

Very good performance and I'm sure having 5 days between games helped. Real have been lucky in mostly having 4 or 5 days between all their games on return

LeeRomeno

Actually first game from Setien there was thought behind subs, subs made sense and were still dangerous even though being a bit more cautious second half. This is what we need, ability to use different systems and variety of players in those systems.

soul24rage

Formation change came too late for league but gives a bit more optimism for CL.

Suarez cant play CF on his own now, Griezmann cant play as a winger and Messi is not a RW anymore.

Messi behind with Griezmann dropping to press for him at times works better.

Greizmann was brilliant and looked every inch the world class forward he is and showed before he signed.

+1, loved the Argentina set up today, suits our best players.

I'm sure Setien will work on the defensive transitions.

fergus90

Actually first game from Setien there was thought behind subs, subs made sense and were still dangerous even though being a bit more cautious second half. This is what we need, ability to use different systems and variety of players in those systems.

Yup that was refreshing to see, some actual subs with logic and not for the sake of it.

JerseyAddict

Yeah i agree. VAR was meant for obvious, big decisions. Now each time a goal is scored there's this wait which ruins it. Add to that, there's no consistency in what is checked and when, and this is really ruining the game. I'm. Okay with VAR but not it's implementation.

Exactly. Nicely summed up. This misusage of VAR or simply said "selective" usage of VAR to benefit some more than the others will just pull people off.

Altomonte

Whatever people may say about Setien, I think we should all agree that this match was entertaining and that the Bar?a team was again watchable! Big difference compared to many performances with EV as coach. It was an entertaining match and our players were moving well and playing a crisp passing game. It is too late now to chase the La Liga title but there is again hope for the future.
As to VAR, it is amazing how many plays and passes are examined, leading up to the goal: if the refereee does not stop the game due to an offside, how long can he wait to use an "old" offside to disallow a goal? If he did not blow his whistle, didn't he miss his chance? Something is definitely wrong with VAR implementation in Spain.

Vilarrubi

Attack wise the best we’ve played all season. Defence was banter level at times.

Even with that bad defence I think if we’d had that potency in attack all season we’d win La Liga. I know people are saying it’s because the “pressure is off” I don’t buy that so much. Villarreal were 5 wins and 1 draw with 5 clean sheets since the restart, we could’ve scored 7 or 8 easily. There was an obvious change in positioning of players and setup of the team. Credit to Setien and players.

Messi983

I think having 5 days between the last two games also played a role in a better performance.

These guys just can't play on a high level every 3-4 days anymore.

eaman

I think having 5 days between the last two games also played a role in a better performance.

These guys just can't play on a high level every 3-4 days anymore.

Definitely helped and certainly helped messi who also needs to be resting more before the champions league. Real were certainly helped with their schedule. Nearly all their games so far have been 4 or 5 days apart

Home of Barca Fans