Who will be Barca's next manager?

Ascom

I know real change will only come when Bartomeu and it's gang are out but it's inevitable we start talking about this. I think it's clear S?tien will not remain as manager next season, he will not win the league and the Champions league as the way we are play it's almost impossible and i say almost because we still the ''little man'' as the great Ray Hudson would say. I think it's obvious S?tien will leave if he doesn't achieve the results because this time the team will not support the coach as they did with Valverde.

So the question is, who do you want as Bar?a's next coach. I put 15 options, most of coaches that are more or less linked to Barcelona.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Who cares at this point.

It literally doesn't matter who the manager is until the old guard is removed. That means Suarez, Busquets, Rakitic, Pique and Alba and probably even Vidal.

A couple of these players like Pique and Alba are still doing decently well now and Busquets could have role still, but can we expect a change before these guys are completely removed? Anyone that comes in and want to shake things up is going to meet resistance from these players.

El Gato

Villarato!
The list at this point is a bit like this, in non-particular order:

- Pepe Bordalas
- Abelardo Fernandez
- German Burgos
- Andre Villas-Boas
- David Moyes
- Jose Mourinho
- Ronald Koeman
- Xavi Hernandez
- Paco Jemez
- Jorge Sampaoli
- Messi player-coach
- Pope Francis

BTW
Guess what - result would be the same under all of them

DonAK

Anyway to answer your question the two realistic managers I'll entertain would be Xavi or Marco Rose who has transformed Borussia Gladbach and is influenced by Jurgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola.

Rose might be the most promising manager in Europe right now.

None of them should come before 2021 at the earliest. Need a competent management that backs them, without a senior presence in the team.

I'd like us to play a quicker, more athletic and direct style of football and build the midfield around Frenkie de Jong and players like him.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
Aside coaches, who'll be powerless no matter who you put there with that team, it'll be interesting what the Ratomeu vision for this coming season is. If it's a write-off & 'book-balancing' with no real targets willing or wanting to join Barca at this downpoint, it makes sense to keep Setien and start clearing the air from the player perspective. If the young turn on the old a bit and new leaders emerge, Barca will be OK for the future. If it's just depression-central 20/21 (however long the season is supposed to be) with Setien kept until the first or second significant crisis after which he's sacked and Pimienta takes over interim until summer, then y'all should prepare mentally. 19/20 has proven it's not the manager that's at the core of the problem for anyone who still held hopes. If fans get behind the common message with 'Fuera Bartomeu' on the banners around the stadium on a regular basis, it'll make transition smoother.

BTW
I kinda feel sorry for Setien, almost more than I felt sorry for EV now and then. He's a good man but deluded at a certain level. Way in over his head. Should go back to Betis at first opportunity and learn from this experience.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Something we need to move on from

Hiring a coach who doesn't speak local language is always the exception. This isn't something exclusive to Barca.
And don't shoot the messenger, but we all know it will be like that, even with new board.

DonAK

Hiring a coach who doesn't speak local language is always the exception. This isn't something exclusive to Barca.
And don't shoot the messenger, but we all know it will be like that, even with new board.

You can always learn the language like others have :shrug:

There's a limited amount of good Spanish-speaking managers. I think we've run out of our options too.

Andrew M

If someone has an eye on coming to spain in the future they can take some lessons in advance. Like Pep with Bayern

khaled_a_d

If someone has an eye on coming to spain in the future they can take some lessons in advance. Like Pep with Bayern

You can always learn the language like others have :shrug:

Very true, but we need to be approaching coaches in advance. Spanish isn't that difficult especially for native speakers of other latin/european languages (like French/Portuguese/Italian/English) , not sure about German and Dutch but I think it is doable.

But we are in a dilemma here, hopefully this board won't sign a new coach that will be forced on the next president.
And there is no time for a foreign coach right now. Will be tough for him to approach many players who doesn't speak English here.

DonAK

Very true, but we need to be approaching coaches in advance. Spanish isn't that difficult especially for native speakers of other latin/european languages (like French/Portuguese/Italian/English) , not sure about German and Dutch but I think it is doable.

But we are in a dilemma here, hopefully this board won't sign a new coach that will be forced on the next president.
And there is no time for a foreign coach right now. Will be tough for him to approach many players who doesn't speak English here.

Yeah, which is why I'll only hire a manager like that with the old guard removed and a new board and management.

For now I see no point changing the manager because it won't make a big difference. No one can make the players we have perform better since most of them are finished.

khaled_a_d

Regarding the OP

1-I think primary approach will be sounding a former manager to give him full authority. I think if there is any time Pep might consider us it will be now. He is losing his touch with City, already overstayed there, there might be a ban and contract will end next year. Unless he will go to Italy there is nothing else to do for a coach of his type. He doesn't suit NT football. Also sounding Lucho if he isn't interested to continue with Spain. Both are strong character coach who are club legends. Both have done a major retooling job. Both will get the respect and keys of the team. Laporta might have a chance in convincing them. But he won't do that if they are interested in continuing where they are.

Is it going to happen? will give it a 10% chance that one of them will say yes. But we need to try.

2-Second will be a big name coach, and there is no abundance of those. I will say Zidane,Simeone & Klopp are currently the only big name coaches out there , excluding aforementioned Pep . 2 of them coaching rivals and will never come. Would Klopp even consider us (even under new board) ? I think it is same answer as above, only if he feel his job is done with liverpool.

3-The next thing close to a big name is Allegri, who is a EV type of coach in terms of style, although on a higher level. He has helped to bring Milan back, helped to take Juve to the next step. But he isn't the one to deliver anything close to Barca DNA or a CL aspiration. Pochettino is another name, who always talks about us with true hatred. But I think he will come if we called him. Can't see it happening with any of those names.

4-Club legend, and the problem is that we are running out of those. Koeman is the most proven name, Xavi is the upcoming one. Gio is probably the only one that might make sense tbh.

5-Then there is the high risk high rewards: New young coaches like Gallardo, ten Hag (not really young, but new) if he speaks some Spanish words. Problem with this approach is demanding respect from locker room.

6-There is some other bad choices to mention: The old names, the Blanc,Mourinho,Ancelotti, Wenger of the world. The 50+ Liga coaches who wants a chance in here. Hopefully not, but with this board they might do it.

Home of Barca Fans