Most overated player to have played for Barca?

Messigician

I'll start, Coutinho was touted as the next iniesta and the 3rd most expensive footballer on the planet after one or two good seasons at Liverpool

khaled_a_d

Well, overrated during his Barca career or generally overrated?
During his Barca career I've never liked Giovanni van Bronckhorst

xXKonan

It would be to easy to list some players but one I would get controversial with is Probably Pique in some aspects.

At his best, he was a titan but he was so prone to turning off and having games that frustrated you when he's not focused. But what's frustrating is seeing many Barca fans minimalize the likes of Mascherano and making it look like Pique was carrying the line when we still had the Pique-Mascherano Pair.

To sum it up, Pique at his best was easily one of the best in his position in his generation, but also a player which in some aspects is overrated at least in my eyes.

Richard.H

Jordi Alba has to be up there for me. Had one or two excellent seasons but he is nowhere near as good as other LB's in top teams.

Alik

It would be to easy to list some players but one I would get controversial with is Probably Pique in some aspects.

At his best, he was a titan but he was so prone to turning off and having games that frustrated you when he's not focused. But what's frustrating is seeing many Barca fans minimalize the likes of Mascherano and making it look like Pique was carrying the line when we still had the Pique-Mascherano Pair.

To sum it up, Pique at his best was easily one of the best in his position in his generation, but also a player which in some aspects is overrated at least in my eyes.

I think that's more of Mascherano being underrated (which I agree), than Piqu? being overrated.

I would even say that Pique was underrated outside Bar?a, with most people forever talking about Ramos, Thiago Silva etc.

Neymessi

You can't really call Coutinho as overrated he was hyped but didn't deliver.

Easily Rakitic for me, no one considers him good right now except BBZ and r/Barca but even when his treble season was cited as amazing, he really wasn't all that even then. I don't remember a single crazy assist or even a through ball to cut the defense open in that season. The only thing he used to do well was the risk-free passes that he keeps doing now but back then he was better at it and his passes and control were better. By far the least influential player of that season and people were going la la for him just because we won the treble and used to say thank god we didn't go for Kroos whereas Kroos was heads and shoulders above Rakitic even back then.

It's only after Rakitic came that the culture of mediocrity started at this club, before that we wouldn't have any mediocre players, and it's only after his arrival that more and more shit signings were made and our style turned into a borefest.

The Observer

Has to be Victor Valdes. He was dodgy AF throughout his career, also had some amazing games here and there but overall was always good for a major brainfart, had no aerial command and his ballplaying ability was overrated. Your run-of-the-mill La Liga shot stopper. His successor outperformed him and the successor of his successor is much superior as well. I remember when Barca fans claimed it would be so hard to find a good goalkeeper for Barca after Valdes as Barca plays so differently to other teams or how Valdes should have started for Spain instead of Casillas. Valdes was often called "best Barca keeper ever" yet he just happened to play behind the best collection of outfield players in modern football history like any non Barca supporter would tell you.

I don't agree with Pique. Top 5 if not top 3 defender throughout the past 10 years for sure. Of course he is overrated if people go overboard with "Piquenbauer" stuff but hardly any Barca fan would have ever placed him among the real defensive greats like Baresi, Maldini, Nesta etc. Compared to Ramos, Thiago Silva etc. during his time he sure ain't a level below though.

Right now it's Arthur and De Jong. De Jong is seen like the Messi of the midfielders by Barca fans just because Ajax happened to win 2 unexpected knockout games last year as a collective unit. But what does he bring? Dribbling, vision, passing, assists? All not there. Will be a solid Busquets replacement where he has to give the ball to the further advanced midfielders and he is press resistant but overall his impact is minimal. And Arthur turns a bit like Xavi. Aha. Both solid talents but nowhere near what people claimed them to be.

Richard.H

bojan and halilović as most overrated,dembele as most overhyped

Completely forgot about Halilovic :lol: Okay, he has to go down as the most hyped. What happened to him by the way? Where does he play now?

At least Bojan got a regular run of games for a season or two. He also had a handful of games where he was very solid.

Devils

Cesc Fabregas by a long shot.

Context is important, as he was hyped as the player who would carry Barca's midfield as Xavi and Iniesta entered their final years. Totally failed and even had the Camp Nou turn on him.

Easily the most overrated and over-hyped midfielder of last decade.

Nobody will ever remember Cesc Fabregas for his quality except for the Arsenal fans who idolize him as their teenage sensation.

Home of Barca Fans