Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most overated player to have played for Barca?

Neymar for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Devils View Post
    Cesc Fabregas by a long shot.

Context is important, as he was hyped as the player who would carry Barca's midfield as Xavi and Iniesta entered their final years. Totally failed and even had the Camp Nou turn on him.

Easily the most overrated and over-hyped midfielder of last decade.

Nobody will ever remember Cesc Fabregas for his quality except for the Arsenal fans who idolize him as their teenage sensation.
    Fabregas was "unlucky" to be compared with Xavi and Iniesta. He was unlikable for being the "rotten apple" in the dressing room, but I would say he was better than all our current midfielders. And he will be remembered better than all of them at this rate.

Cesc would have been praised as a new Xavi/Iniesta under current~recent few years midfielders depth at Barca.

I'm going to say Jordi Alba, his link up play with Messi was his saving grace but that cutback has been sussed out now by most teams. Majority of the time he's a liability and loses his cool very fast.

President of FC Barcelona
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticvarium View Post
    Cesc would have been praised as a new Xavi/Iniesta under current~recent few years midfielders depth at Barca.
    That Cesc would be the best midfielder in this team. If he's overrated because he didn't reach the heights of Xavi or Iniesta then almost every midfielder in the World is overrated.

Villarato!
    Cesc is a guy who played a striker out of necessity in a European title winning team. Dude got so little respect for being as malleable as he was in the time he played. While clearly being most comfortable in a Wenger team, he was quality.
    People are boring.

Valverde Cultist
    Fabregas was pretty good, just didn't fit our system.

Quote Originally Posted by DonAK View Post
    That Cesc would be the best midfielder in this team. If he's overrated because he didn't reach the heights of Xavi or Iniesta then almost every midfielder in the World is overrated.
    Not a big deal being the best midfielder in this team, many okayish midfielders can be the best here but he was quality.
    RESULTS CAN BE MISLEADING. LOOK DEEPER

Prime Cesc would currently be the best midfielder in the world, maybe only second to De Bruyne.

I can't see anyone but Coutinho being the answer to this question.
    Pique didn't come back as the best CB in the world, but he has performed consistently (to a certain degree ) for many years.
    Cesk was a really good midfielder, who under different circumstances would flourish in Barca too. But he proved his level over the years, even if it wasn't what people expected initially.
    Neymar, love him or hate him, is a top talent and did prove his worth some times, even though other factors have limited him.
    Jordi, is on decline and people forget he was unbeatable at some point.

Coutinho, was expected to be a top class player. And he has proven, in two teams, that is mediocre, even low level compared to older generation players, number 10. He can only play an obsolete role, in a level that doesn't justify using him.

Quote Originally Posted by Catta View Post
    Prime Cesc would currently be the best midfielder in the world, maybe only second to De Bruyne.
    I agree. Moreover, that golden generation of Spain was truly magical. I am very grateful I was able to witness and enjoy that era when my passion for football was at its peak.
    Last edited by tacticvarium; 11th April 2020 at 09:00 PM.

Coutinho is a good call. Has proven that his mentality is nowhere near good enough to play for Barcelona. Almost all players that played for us were, ability and technique wise, well-equipped to succeed. But the difference lies in the mental area. And Coutinho is among the worst to have ever played for us, considering what was invested in him.

Quaresma is another good call. Also an obscenely talented player who wasn't smart and professional enough to cut it at this level. Some of Pep's transfers as well, that Ukrainian defender from Shakhtar was a dud. So was Hleb.
    Last edited by serghei; 12th April 2020 at 07:11 PM.

Emmanuel Petit
    I have a bad feeling that whenever a lesbian looks at me they think “That’s why I’m not a heterosexual”.

Quote Originally Posted by George_Costanza View Post
    Emmanuel Petit
    Great call.
    Andres DON Iniesta is the only player in football's history to be Man of the Match in a Champions League final, EURO final and World Cup final.

Valverde Cultist
    Quote Originally Posted by George_Costanza View Post
    Emmanuel Petit
    Seen this rhetoric thrown around alot.. why? He was good