La Liga Proposes League Suspension.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Anyways, this set a great example for everyone, with a 70% cut (I don't think any other club has agreed to this kind of steep cut across the board so far, at least I haven't read anything so far. On Juventus, not sure 90m amounts to what percentage, probably quite big too), very good news.

I wonder how much money this 70% cut will save and reallocate (to pay for non-sporting staff salaries etc.).

LABarcaFan

By the end of June 2020, all domestic competitions should be completed. That is the last decision by UEFA. Clubs will have to play 2 games per week to finish the regular season. UEFA tournaments games will also be played in a shortened time frame. That is very realistic to me. We have to be patient.

Mitchell1978

heard the deadline for national competitions is early august (though they will have to start 2e half of june to be completed by early august then)

matches will almost surely be played behind closed doors

Messi983

However, Casillas, who is running for president of the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), has come up with a plan.

"If everything is back to normal in three to four months, play the rest [of the season] and have the cup finals and Champions League and Europa League finals in December," he tweeted.

"The next World Cup is in November 2022."

LaLiga president Javier Tebas didn't agree with Casillas' suggestion and pointed to the financial implications of not starting next season on time.

https://www.marca.com/en/football/spanish-football/2020/04/05/5e89d4a1268e3eff278b45b4.html

Devils

It's extremely fortunate for humanity that Iker Casillas only had the responsibility of preventing a ball going into the back of a net and not dealing with a global crises like pandemics.

Mitchell1978

so theoretically french teams can't play anymore in the european competitions...

not sure, different competition, different autority, but will be difficult

i still expect other top leagues to at least try to finish their leagues

stopping a league and taking the current standing as the final standing should be the worst case scenario

but simply cancelling the league without a champion like the dutch have done is unacceptable imo

Last edited:

Hardy

not sure, different competition, different autority

I think it's different case since the decision is from governement, not a sportive Federation. If governement doesn't allow sport in France this should be applied for every competition. it's bigger than uefa.

Ahmedd

I think it's different case since the decision is from governement, not a sportive Federation. If governement doesn't allow sport in France this should be applied for every competition. it's bigger than uefa.

If they do not play in France they might still be allowed to play, too much money to lose here

Mitchell1978

I get that but why allow football in september and not in july?

Whats going to be the difference? There won't be a vaccin in september either.
July/august might be safer then september/octobre when a second outbreak is expected according to some experts.

El Gato

Villarato!

July/august might be safer then september/octobre when a second outbreak is expected according to some experts.

Don't think they said they're allowing it. They're just saying they suspended it till September. They may well extend the ban if things don't improve and FAs will adjust the season starts as well depending on uncertainty.

The big thing is that it's a top5 league and them being banned from play will likely do a cascading effect for some or all of the others. Spaniards have no reason to continue in a packed schedule if all of the same uncertainties apply to all of Europe.

I'm so fucking stoked Liverpool not being crowned champions is a possibility :lol: Just out of banter :lol:

JamDav1982

From the reports the CL and Europa League if completed in August could be in one country as a mini tournament with games every few days. So may not even be an issue.

serghei

:lol: Politicians are making a mess out of this already.

Smart people are thinking about how to re-open things, and idiot politicians are thinking how to close everything. :facepalm:

You expect logic? :lol:

Sure, cancel it in july august and open the league when the cold season will come again. Or maybe they plan to cancel it for several years.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
^
Nah, some just don't want blowback coming their way from not-closing things down for long enough. Depends on a country, but unfortunately European fixtures apply to all. So only middle ground left for the CL now and it's unlikely to be contested on fair terms now. Because how do you resolve it if Spain choose to play between August and September with a fixture every 3 days? How do you contest that when French teams had next to game time? French politicians have started the domino, there's already been rather powerful public pressure to cancel the EPL season for instance (though UK fans are dumber than almost any other countries). I'm not optimistic anything will be resolved properly now. Cancellations all around.

Home of Barca Fans