Votes: 15 25.9%
  • in 2023

Votes: 29 50.0%
  • he will play until the age of 40

Votes: 11 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raketa10

I personally think he has a max of 2 more years on a top level. I always though 2022 is probably the most realistic year but as we all know the next World Cup is being held in 2022 in Qatar during winter (November - December). I sincerely doubt he won't try once more even with 35 on his back. IMHO will either retire immediately after the World Cup or after 2023 season. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He'll leave Barcelona after the 2022/23 season and return to Argentina to play there for a season or two before he possibly goes to the MLS for a year.

That would be my guess.

He'll probably have Barcelona as his primary residence when he's done with football.

Catta

He will leave Barca in the summer of 2022, to prepare for the WC in Qatar that winter. Then he will end his career after the WC, lifting the trophy

for the 3rd place :mou:

Andresito

Staff member
Before the World Cup 2022.

Edit: forgot it was played in winter. 2023 then.

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

He will leave Barca in the summer of 2022, to prepare for the WC in Qatar that winter. Then he will end his career after the WC, lifting the trophy

Why would 4/5 months off competitive football be preparation for the WC? lol He’ll play the 2022/23 season at a minimum.

Messi983

He'll leave Barcelona after the 2022/23 season and return to Argentina to play there for a season or two before he possibly goes to the MLS for a year.

That would be my guess.

He'll probably have Barcelona as his primary residence when he's done with football.

Agreed with most, I don't see him going to the MLS though. He doesn't speak English (at least haven't heard him yet in public, maybe he does in private) and even if he'd go to Inter Miami (with a big Latin American population living in that area) I just don't see a reason for him to do that. Money shouldn't be a deciding factor either because MLS salaries are not really that high (Ibra has apparently earned around $7,5M USD in La Galaxy which was a record MLS contract) for someone who has already earned as much as Messi in his career. Sure, he would make a lot more from sponsorship deals as I'm sure MLS would know how to "sell him" and generate more interest in the league (domestic and worldwide) but I just don't know if this would be enough for him to move his familly for a year or two to a country where he has never lived before.

But then again I didn't expect Xavi going to Qatar either. He didn't have kids at that time though IIRC so it was easier for him to move.

LeeRomeno

He will retire from national team after that WC and probably from Barcelona at the end of the same season. I guess depending on his shape and injuries, he may want to have a year back in Argentina, but not sure how motivated he would be.

khaled_a_d

That would be my guess.

He said he won't go back to Argentina because his kids are now in school and it would be a big change for his family.

serghei

I hope in 2 years max. I see signs of his motivation becoming very low. I am one of those who wouldn't like to see him become a hinderance. 35 is a great age to retire and make some big bucks in some easier league.

malvolio

I hope in 2 years max. I see signs of his motivation becoming very low. I am one of those who wouldn't like to see him become a hinderance. 35 is a great age to retire and make some big bucks in some easier league.

What are you talking about?! You've been beating the drum in here to sell him since the start of the season. You already believe that he is a weight for us and we would be better off without him.

I too would not like him to tarnish his legacy by being a burden. Even his 2020 form, while poor by his standards, is better than what most of our other players can offer. So I hardly believe that he will ever be a burden for us.

serghei

What are you talking about?! You've been beating the drum in here to sell him since the start of the season. You already believe that he is a weight for us and we would be better off without him.

I too would not like him to tarnish his legacy by being a burden. Even his 2020 form, while poor by his standards, is better than what most of our other players can offer. So I hardly believe that he will ever be a burden for us.

I don't want to sell him if there is a better solution. But if a better solution can't be found, I'd sell him. It may not seem so, but there is a lot of difference between the two. It's just a shame only 10-15 users around here understand that difference.

But I hope Messi is smart enough to retire when he will lose motivation for good. He's almost there I'm afraid. He can't last another cycle. So he should retire at the same time as Pique, Busi, Suarez will.

Last edited:

The Observer

This forum still active? There won't be anyone entering a football stadium for probably the entire year minimus so he's basically retired already.

Home of Barca Fans