Martin Braithwaite

mc_lovin

My only real gripe with his transfer are the technical errors our board made (too late, therefore too expensive, no CL..). I wont pretend that I watched any of his matches.

Last edited:

The Observer

You can't convince me that as a rotational option for La Liga only, Carlez Perez wouldn't have been also okay without spending 18 million + 4 year contract.

Obviously don't know anything about this guy but 3 goals for Middlesbrough last season and 4 goals for Leganes was his output.

Imagine being Messi now. You are one of the GOATs at what you do and you have to work with 17 year old Ansu Fati and Martin Braithwaite. Sounds like a meme but is reality now.

Messi983

Why do people keep mentioning Carles Perez? I don't rate him at all (and Setien obviously didn't like what he saw from him when he took over or we'd probably kept him) and think had he stayed here for the rest of the season we wouldn't even get 13m in summer when he would inevitably be pushed out of the club. Roma was a bit desperate after Zaniolo's injury so we took advantage of that to get the most we could for a player who will probably be back playing for a midtable La Liga team in a year or two. Collado is younger, more talented and a better fit for Setien's system and can easily bring more than Perez did if given a chance.

Braithwaite is primarily a replacement for Suarez but since we didn't get him when we should (after it was known Suarez will probably miss the rest of the season) after Dembele got injured again we obviously also looked for someone who can play multiple positions upfront to give us more options.

I think for this season we're better with Braithwaite than Perez and longterm we'll also be better with Trincao and possibly Braithwaite (if he'll convince enough to stay beyond this season which I think can happen) instead of C. Perez and Abel Ruiz (Trincao basically costed us 23m+Abel - a guy who has scored 6 goals in 40 games in Segunda B).

fergus90

I think this just highlights the lack of sporting direction and complete incompetence that has plagued Barca for the last 7 or 8 years. We will probably add this guy to the list of Song, Digne,Murillo,Boateng,Mina,Santos, Gomes,Denis,Aleix Vidal,Digne,Turan,Alcacer,Malcom, Douglas and not forgetting Coutinho and unfortunately Dembele, all of whom have been signed and offered virtually nothing to the team, only to be sold or loaned at maximum, 2 years after purchase.

The spine of the team remains untouched,older and more complacent due to lack of competition for places. I further question the purpose of La Masia anymore because what's the point of having these players if they club would rather spend 18 million on a Braithwate who will play the bare minimum anyway, than to trust a B team player.

No one can tell me the likes of Cucurella, Alena, Grimaldo etc all couldn't have filled the job that some of these failed transfers ultimately offered whilst not costing a penny in transfer fees, yet they continue to blow millions on shite.

I just hope the next board is more sensible with planning their transfer targets.

BusiTheKing

incredible to think that Pedro could still be playing in the starting 11 if he'd stayed here

that's how little we've progressed

xXKonan

Not sure if Cucu would have been that good of an Alba backup if you ask me.

He looks much better pushed forward in an LM role and that's where he has been mostly played at Eibar and now Getafe. He probably would have suffered the problems Firpo currently does in at least defending where he looks so vulnerable.

Not sure about Grimaldo anymore. Seems like Benfica fans have been complaining for months now that he's been poor in all areas of his game and wanting him benched in favor of Nuno Tavares.

fergus90

Not sure if Cucu would have been that good of an Alba backup if you ask me.

He looks much better pushed forward in an LM role and that's where he has been mostly played at Eibar and now Getafe. He probably would have suffered the problems Firpo currently does in at least defending where he looks so vulnerable.

Not sure about Grimaldo anymore. Seems like Benfica fans have been complaining for months now that he's been poor in all areas of his game and wanting him benched in favor of Nuno Tavares.

True but my point above is that the aforementioned players had little impact at Barca, and then moved on to clubs where the majority had little impact their too. Too much money is being wasted on mindless transfers, who offer no threat to the starting 11 and ultimately don't last beyond a season or two as backups either.

Why didn't they buy haaland?

It really doesn't matter what % raioli asks.
20 is still a bargain and 60 or 70% of 100+ (if you ever sell him) is still 60 or 70 million

Ans if he stays for the next 15 years, even as back-up, then everything is still ok

Home of Barca Fans