Lliga | Round 25: FC Barcelona - SD Eibar 5-0

The Observer

Misinformation.

Firstly, the guys who didn't rate Suarez and the guys who wanted EV out are not one and the same group. Many guys who wanted EV out still rated Suarez highly and still do. I'm one of them for example. This doesn't mean that Suarez doesn't need to be replaced. He does, but until he is replaced properly, he's still a very useful and proficient scorer. As he's proven this by scoring big goals vs top teams in La Liga, especially away, where we have a serious problem this season.

Secondly, many of the players we wanted to see more of during the time of Valverde were sold or loaned. Malcom, Alena, Todibo for instance. Players who showed serious potential and were mistreated by the manager. Dembele who should've benefited from this change in style is out for the season.

This is exactly the type of post you guys get abuse for on many occasions around here. Just ignorant misinformation without respect for any sort of fairness or logic.

No way to wiggle out of it. Give or take 95 % here wanted EV gone and 85 % wanted Suarez replaced, particularly in CL games, the intersection is huge. His CL scoring record was brought up time and time again. I would know as I was one of the very few who still rated Suarez and his overall impact so people got into arguments with me over that. The narrative was: "Everyone can score in easy games when Messi sets you up 5 times a game" and "he only plays because he is Messi's buddy". Let's not pretend many people still rated Suarez here, let alone as a key component for the CL. At most some might have rated him in La Liga still. Bit of honesty does not hurt. Want some examples from our resident forum experts?

Benzema in his worst scoring form is still an amazing player who holds the ball and passes very well unlike Suarez who is a black hole.

Dont want to watch barca anymore till he's gone. Ruining any enjoyment of messi's last years watching this shambles of a footballer ruin every move.

Exactly. I think he could be super sub but that's about it. Not starter quality anymore for Barca.

We can only hope for a miracle where we replace Valverde soon and somehow manage to offload Suarez and Rakitic in the Summer ..,

the worst part is, you know come the 2nd leg, regardless of form, Suarez will be starting the match

Useless player that honestly needs to fuck off.

So LOGIC dictates that without EV (apparently Setien is a big manager improvement) who was the sole culprit for the past bottling jobs and without CL bottling donkey touch Suarez (Griezmann = striker improvement) and with the addition of CL jugadorazo elite midfield talent De Jong (thousand times improvement on Rakitic), team should be CL favourites or thereabouts.

Démbéle's injury is irrelevant as he never really played in 2 years and it doesn't hinge on Alena or Todibo whether team does well in the CL as neither would see game time under Setien. Malcom is a trash player also, Ansu adds the same.

People like me get abuse for this because people don't like their bullshit to be exposed so blatantly. Either you think without EV, Suarez, De Jong -> Rakitic the team must have improved considerably. A La Liga winning and CL semi finalist team that barely (3-4) lost to the best team in the world which has now improved should be CL favourites. Or you think we have no shot at the CL and should barely fight for the league. You can't have both within logics and there is no way to wiggle out of it.

What do you mean lowered? Who had the expectation that Barca would win cl at the start of the season?
The only expectation was to not get dominated, outplayed, outpassed and outshot by teams like Levante and Slavia.

The expectations have been lowered considerably. In the Bilbao matchday thread people said they wouldn't be surprised to get knocked out by A. Bilbao (which happened) or even Napoli. Now in this thread I'm reading again that we don't win the CL anyway and should concentrate on the league. The tone was completely different 2 months ago. With a good manager the midfield would be flying, Arthur-De Jong dream combo unleashed, firing Valverde midseason would still give us hopes for the CL etc.

It's amazing to see that brigade suddenly setting different standards after all their wishes have come true. Must be really confusing to see those grinding performances against Getafe and Granada at home despite all the major "culprits" gone. All that is left now is to pretend that the style is beautiful to watch at least. Really beautiful to watch ter Stegen triple save the points against Getafe on Camp Nou. :)

JohnN

I would say that with EV everyone believed we had a 5% chance to win cl. With setien taking over mid season the chance went up to something like 8%. Made up numbers and all, but the point stands. Still a low probability.
We have deep problems and Valverde was one of them, since he couldn't reshape the team after the first year and since we had two really bad, phycologicaly impactful defeats with him. We got rid of one problem and we need to move on to the next one.
No one in their right mind literally believed Barca would play 100% instantly after EV was gone. But it was a pain to keep watching him on the sidelines..

soul24rage

I don't get the point of La Liga allowing friday games, if we have to play a Saturday game just 3 days before our CL match on Tuesday.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Lenglet & Samu both a booking away from suspension ahead of Clasico so I would guess Umtiti would start tomorrow. With a new coach/system and players, this is a good exercise to develop some rhythm heading into the business end of the season.

Hopefully Barca will get ahead comfortably by HT and allow Akieme to get some minutes to relieve Firpo in the event we are struck with additional injury concerns - I have liked the LB with the B team

3-0 Barca

Andresito

Staff member
Lenglet & Samu both a booking away from suspension ahead of Clasico so I would guess Umtiti would start tomorrow. With a new coach/system and players, this is a good exercise to develop some rhythm heading into the business end of the season.

Hopefully Barca will get ahead comfortably by HT and allow Akieme to get some minutes to relieve Firpo in the event we are struck with additional injury concerns - I have liked the LB with the B team

3-0 Barca

Firpo needs all the playing time he can get ahead of the tougher games though.

Messi983

Firpo needs all the playing time he can get ahead of the tougher games though.

Yeah, but he had injury problems of his own in the past so we shouldn't really overplay him too much imo. We'll need him vs Napoli and RM. So if we have a solid lead maybe sub him off in 2nd half and give some minutes to Akieme.

[tw]1230826245711179779[/tw]

Andresito

Staff member
How about a nice and easy game for once where we kill the game early while keeping a clean sheet.

It feels like every game where we score 1-2 goals we always concede around the 50th minute to give energy to the opposition.

Messi983

Who is Akieme?!

A stunning player.

Barça B LB bought from Rayo last summer who's having a very good season in Segunda B. Quite physical player, good going forward (he already has 4 assists this season) and also solid defensively. Don't know if he'll ever make it in our first team but should have a good career imo.

[youtube]5B0z26tHkjY[/youtube]

Home of Barca Fans