Should Barca sell Griezmann after the season is over?

Should Barca sell Griezmann after the season is over

• Total voters

Givenchy

I wouldn't sell him

sure, he doesn't fit in the current Barca front 3 (not actually sure who would, we'll get to that) BUT hes one of the few players who actually 1. works his ass off and gives 100%, 2. hes not an amigo and 3. hes a world class player without a CL to his name; he'll be motivated.

if we pair him with 2 forwards who actually run, stick to their positions, help defend and move off the ball, we'd see a totally different player. Suarez-Messi is the problem. you can add any other forward to our frontline - Neymar, Mbappe, Sancho, Martinez.. it will be the same story...

BarçaBarça

Griezmann is not a problem, imo. He is a world class attacker, so we could do well in making him have more of an impact than now.
Getting rid of Suarez would be a first step.

Messi983

I wouldn't sell him

sure, he doesn't fit in the current Barca front 3 (not actually sure who would, we'll get to that) BUT hes one of the few players who actually 1. works his ass off and gives 100%, 2. hes not an amigo and 3. hes a world class player without a CL to his name; he'll be motivated.

if we pair him with 2 forwards who actually run, stick to their positions, help defend and move off the ball, we'd see a totally different player. Suarez-Messi is the problem. you can add any other forward to our frontline - Neymar, Mbappe, Sancho, Martinez.. it will be the same story...

Exactly.

Just look at how well he played at the start of the season without Messi and Suarez around.

I know Betis was poor in this game but still if he can play like this with Rafinha and C. Perez imagine what he'd do with better players who also can run and move alongside him.

Most people still don't realise that the two walking amigos upfront are our biggest problem. We are both static offensively because of their lack of movement and there is also more pressure on our midfield and defense because they don't help them out. The team has compensated for Messi's lack of defensive workrate for years but they can't cover for two players. I don't question Suarez's effort as I think he would still like to give us more but age and injuries have caught up with him and he's not as mobile as he was years ago. He's still a class player who can score a lot and his chemistry with Messi is great but if we want to really change something it's time to move on from him (Busi as well but that's another story).

So as hard decision as this will be for both Suarez and Messi I think it's what we should do (but we won't). Messi-Griezmann-Lautaro could possibly work but for that to happen we should sell Suarez. Otherwise he'll start as long as he's here, Lautaro will play on the wings and be another 100m flop in a season or two.

Replacing Griezmann with Lautaro won't change anything so if we don't plan to move on from Suarez next season I'd prefer to keep AG and use those 100m we have for Lautaro on improving defense and midfield. We need to do that regardless but even more so if we'll play another season or two with Messi and Suarez upfront.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Sell Suarez and sign a CF.

Griezmann won't have a long-term future at Barca and I can see him leaving in 2021. But for now, I'll rather move on from the guy that's going to hinder us from moving on and rebuilding the team.

Suarez can talk to the press and say that he's told the club to sign a CF, but it won't matter if he's still at the club complaining, yelling and bitching about not starting or playing enough minutes. It's just his mentality. He's never going to accept to be a bench player or a role player. He's too competitive and primal for that.

serghei

I think we can all agree that Griezmann is an excellent player. But imo there are some issues in this team that will make him not play at his best. And those issues won't be cleared for another 1-2 years. By which time Griezmann will be 31 or so.

Maybe we should move to a 4-1-2-1-2. Diamond 4-4-2 and put the 4-3-3 on hold until Messi is gone. Messi behind 2 strikers. Griezmann and Suarez, which can be Lautaro and Griezmann soon. Similar to Madrid's system with Isco as a CAM, behind Benzema and Ronaldo. Messi would be a lazier, slower but more deadly on the ball Isco.

Last edited:

serghei

Something like this:

1805673_FC_Barcelona.jpg

In attack would look more like this, with both Alba and Semedo pushing up often to provide wing threat:
1805675_FC_Barcelona.jpg

In defensive transition when pressing doesn't work, we could drop to a low block like this, considering both Griezmann and Lautaro are hard working players:
1805677_FC_Barcelona.jpg

soul24rage

Something like this

I think if we're going to buy Lautaro (I'm pretty sure we will at some point) and if we don't sell Griezmann, I agree with you that the 4-3-1-2 is the best setup until Messi retires.

Lautaro has the experience and played well in that formation with the Arg National team with Messi and I'm sure Griezmann will be more suited for that system.

The fullback really have to be more attack oriented than usual to provide width while the 2 interiors need to have the skills to cover the space that the fullbacks have left.

serghei

I think if we're going to buy Lautaro (I'm pretty sure we will at some point) and if we don't sell Griezmann, I agree with you that the 4-3-1-2 is the best setup until Messi retires.

Lautaro has the experience and played well in that formation with the Arg National team with Messi and I'm sure Griezmann will be more suited for that system.

The fullback really have to be more attack oriented than usual to provide width while the 2 interiors need to have the skills to cover the space that the fullbacks have left.

The system will never be very efficient in the wings, in terms of combinations, due to the attackers being more 16m players than wingers. A problem Madrid also faced with both Ronaldo and Benzema operating centrally (as opposed to Bale for example, a classic winger, who was sacrificed).

This is why we need to learn the use of crossing. Use crossing better when we are in a good wings positions. And, obviously, don't build on the wings too much (like we did to death with Valverde), because it's clear it's not our strength (we lack players who are great at scoring from crosses - like Ronaldo, who excelled at that). More central players also have the advantage of having numerical superiority centrally, and with our technical players good things can come out of that.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans