Messi's comment on Abidal's recent interview

JamDav1982

It wasn't a blunder to spit that out in the public domain from Abidal but he definitely could have kept that private and resolved things behind doors.

If anything he was at worst only slightly at fault. Messi, on the other hand, has overdone it once again. Extremely unnecessary comments from Messi and 90% of those defending him wouldn't be defending him it was any other player except Messi. He always had some entitlement of being bigger than the club and taking matters in his own hand.

Maybe it was a slip up but it is the for the good in long term.

Think this subject has brought to light a situation too many are scared to confront in the older players having too much power.

Messi has reacted when he would have been one of the few who would not really have been under suspicion of those being said to complain as the media has reported his support of EV previously.

This doesnt seem like Messi protecting his boys more than the older players throwing toys out pram at EV being sacked against their will.

Just surprised Pique has not chipped in yet but sure it will come.

wisconsincule

Glad he spoke up. He probably could have just stated that it was in the best interest of the club going forward for Valverde to be fired but whatever.

The locker room needs to be shaken and the veterans need to stop being coddled.

It will be unfortunate if Abidal gets fired over this. I truly believe he is trying but is ultimately answering to the clown that is Bartomeu.

Neymessi

This is only going to end in one way. Abidal getting fired, dawg.

Even is Messi wants him fired which I doubt he does, he won't want him fired because if he gets fired now everyone is going to run the narrative that he went against Messi and that's why he got fired.

An Abidal resignation even from his own free will right now will send a very wrong message outside. I really hope Abidal and Messi have a chat in private and sort this out.

gregorrin10

Even is Messi wants him fired which I doubt he does, he won't want him fired because if he gets fired now everyone is going to run the narrative that he went against Messi and that's why he got fired.

An Abidal resignation even from his own free will right now will send a very wrong message outside. I really hope Abidal and Messi have a chat in private and sort this out.

Problem is, Bartomeu won't care about that and will actually use whatever excuse and whoever else he can under the bus to justify his actions, at this point, even if that's Messi it seems. And if that happens, it goes from bad to worse, cause I could actually see Messi (even in spite of all his love for this club) not wanting to put pen to paper on that new contract before Bartomeu is out. And that I believe the socis actually seeing and starting to fear this Board (after all the transfer failings and on pitch humiliations) could also cause us the biggest bad thing of them all, if we don't get rid of them now (even if it is one year earlier): losing Messi. And that is actually the only thing that could cause Bartomeu being thrown out and causing a premature elections. So I guess it wouldn't be bad thing at all, even if it would bring a few uncertain months of fans fearing Messi might leave at the end of the season.

Hopefully Messi is pissed enough to actually go through with this, and come out publicly, addressing the socis and in no uncertain terms let them know that it's either him leaving forever (and that's at least 3-4 more years of his career I imagine) or Bartomeu leaving just one year before he'll be gone anyway.

The Observer

He should resign because he is a useless sporting director, not because of this gossip saga. Was only offered a job out of pitty anyway after he cried how the club mistreated him after his cancer illness.

Club is crying out for a wide forward and pace upfront for 3 years now and all Messi is left with upfront is a 17 year old who needs mum's signature to play football beyond 10 PM.

Where is a leftback to compete with Alba, where is the creative attacking midfielder, where is Pique's successor, where is a striker to take over from Suarez? What's Abidal's job as sporting director? Then he opens his mouth about effort of the players. Of course it's not going to sit well with Messi. Well done telling him to do his own job first.

Barcilliant

He should resign because he is a useless sporting director, not because of this gossip saga. Was only offered a job out of pitty anyway after he cried how the club mistreated him after his cancer illness.

Club is crying out for a wide forward and pace upfront for 3 years now and all Messi is left with upfront is a 17 year old who needs mum's signature to play football beyond 10 PM.

Where is a leftback to compete with Alba, where is the creative attacking midfielder, where is Pique's successor, where is a striker to take over from Suarez? What's Abidal's job as sporting director? Then he opens his mouth about effort of the players. Of course it's not going to sit well with Messi. Well done telling him to do his own job first.

Abidal hasn't been great but under a different manager Coutinho, Dembele, Semedo, Arthur etc may have flourished. Dickverde is looking like Kaiser Sose here. He allowed amigos to run the show and now the new manager has to carry the can. What a fucking mess.

Richard.H

Dumb quote by Abidal , but I do think messi made it much worse. To me it seems as though he’s one of the amigos that’s not happy with EV’s departure. Also as a captain, he should motivate the team and not ask the sporting director to single out bad performers. It doesn’t send a good message to the squad.

Overall: dumb move by Abidal, dumber move by Messi

tacticvarium

Messi has always been a dumb person when it comes to non-footballing matters but the problem is that he has now become untouchable and no one can even criticize him within or outside the club. He is our Ronaldinho 2.0 but no presidents, managers would attempt to get rid of him. The only person who is capable of doing that might be Pep but he won't even survive if he doesn't bring the immediate success after selling Messi.

Home of Barca Fans