Messi's comment on Abidal's recent interview

FC433

Speaking to the Catalan press on Tuesday, Barcelona director Eric Abidal has given a few details about Ernesto Valverde’s departure from the club.

He shared the reasons the manager was sacked by the board, and even made some criticism towards players who weren’t giving all they could on the pitch.

“Many players were not satisfied or didn’t work hard and there was also an internal communication issue,” Abidal told Sport.

“The relationship between manager and dressing room has always been good, but there are things that I can smell as a former player. I told the club what I thought and had to make a decision.”
What Abidal didn’t expect was that Barcelona’s biggest legend would soon go public against him. In an Instagram post, Lionel Messi sent the director a message, saying he should name those players, otherwise it would feel like all the squad was guilty for the sacking.

“I honestly don’t like to do these things but I think everyone has to be responsible for their tasks and take care of their decisions.

“The players for what happens on the pitch, and we are also the first to acknowledge when we were not good. Those responsible for the area of sports management must also assume their responsibilities and above all take charge of the decisions they make.

“Finally, I think that when talking about players, we should give names because otherwise we are getting everyone dirty and feeding things that are said and are not true.”
Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/lionel-messi-goes-public-barcelonas-board-start-big-story-spain/
The actual interview (in Spainsh): https://www.sport.es/es/videos/barc...vista-integra-de-sport-a-abidal/4764511.shtml

Last edited:

FC433

"two wrongs don't make a right" that is what I think. It is an unpleasant situation, but hopefully, we make the best out of it.

malvolio

RIP Abidal :lol:

Multimillionaire imbeciles arguing over the Internet, while we paupers feed of the scraps and try to make sense of all the leaks and tweets :lol:

FCBfan22

I understand Leo, those matters should not be publicly adressed by Abidal, but why the hell he wants the players to be singled out publicly.

As a captain of the team his best interest should be gluing the team together not caling out members of the squad without speaking to them privately.

In short, this was stupid by Abidal and even more stupid by Messi.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Why did Messi not react and ask for the players who kept EV in the job to be singled out?

He reacts angrily when it is mentioned some wanted him to go.

This smacks of Messi being unhappy EV is gone and club going against his wishes.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
So just to summarize what happened, Abidal said something stupid (but not necessarily untrue) to the media and Messi made the whole thing worse drawing A LOT OF attention to it and by trying to call him out.

Total-Football

Like I said in the player section. Abidal arse should be fried for this. But on normal circumstances the player too. Messi is Sadly living up to the reputation of a dictator now.. Why reply in public instead of doing your laundry behind closed doors.

JamDav1982

Like I said in the player section. Abidal arse should be fried for this. But on normal circumstances the player too. Messi is Sadly living up to the reputation of a dictator now.. Why reply in public instead of doing your laundry behind closed doors.

Clubs say all the time about players training levels etc when sack a manager.

It is almost a cliche about new manager wanting to improve fitness.

Not a sackable offence unless it is Barca where it pisses off players that have too much power.

Givenchy

Why did Messi not react and ask for the players who kept EV in the job to be singled out?

He reacts angrily when it is mentioned some wanted him to go.

This smacks of Messi being unhappy EV is gone and club going against his wishes.

exactly. Valverde had the full backing from the seniors no doubt about it. really does show their ambition these days or lack thereof

Abidal is right but wrong to air this out in public

malvolio

Because there must be more to it. Shit hit the fan big time this time. Messi rarely speaks, let alone come out with stuff like that.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Only way too move forward with this circus of a club is to go full scorched earth. Clean the whole shithouse from top to bottom.

Home of Barca Fans