Lliga | Round 21: Valencia CF - FC Barcelona 2-0

BADGERBHOY

Nagelsmann or Ten Haag? What is it exactly that makes them "top managers"?

2 examples of up and coming coaches, doing great jobs. Its not limited to those 2. There's others obviously.
The point is we're as big a club as it gets and can attract pretty much anybody in the world, yet this board always makes the wrong choice.

Altomonte

Messi had an off day but we kept using him as the point of the spear throughout the match. That's predictable and not so difficult to defend - and Valencia defended well today. We need at least one more goalscorer to succeed. I was also disappointed by Artur and FDJ's performance.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
This is the main problem since years.
Or we can forget all about this team and look forward or we do not have future.

We don’t necessarily have to play Pep’s football, we can’t even play our roots, which is Cruyff’s total football that requires a fluidity that is based on not just player understanding the concept but more importantly, supported by proper physiques, work rate and a lot of movement, none of which we have right now, with these group of lazy, fatigued and complacent senior players.

We have a future, despite it being out of reach right now. It starts in a few years.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Quique Setién: "There are some things that the players still do not interpret well or we may not explain them well. Nobody likes what we've seen today. We have a lot of things to do. Positionally there are things to correct because we have given many meaningless passes." "We don't like it to have the ball just for the sake of having it. We need to do something with it."

Setien is saying all the right things and covering all the bases but it remains to be seen what he actually does about these problems.

My fear is that he has no ability and power to make the changes even if he has those ideas.

MagIX

We don’t necessarily have to play Pep’s football, we can’t even play our roots, which is Cruyff’s total football that requires a fluidity that is based on not just player understanding the concept but more importantly, supported by proper physiques, work rate and a lot of movement, none of which we have right now, with these group of lazy, fatigued and complacent senior players.

We have a future, despite it being out of reach right now. It starts in a few years.

I agree.
What I meant was we have to forget the pep team, it is not possible to replicate it.
We finally have to understand that and look forward, not back, soccer evolves like everything else in life and we have to adapt, stop looking back and try to replicate the pep team.

Iarwain

Only watched 2nd half, and the period from min 46 to Valencia's 2nd goal was rather good. Immense pressure on Valencia's half and many fast penetrative passes between the lines (mainly from Messi), Vidal's movement upfront was nice, the ball circulated fast, even though Valencia sat very deep they were uncomfortable with Barca's aggression with/without ball. But you know the old cliche, at the end of the day goals are counted.

mc_lovin

I agree.
What I meant was we have to forget the pep team, it is not possible to replicate it.
We finally have to understand that and look forward, not back, soccer evolves like everything else in life and we have to adapt, stop looking back and try to replicate the pep team.

I dont think theres a problem with our philosophy, but you cant play good football with a Griezmann-Messi-Fati frontline. Its that simple. Everything else is just big talk. With a manager like Setien we play sterile foorball, with Valverde midtable football, but in the grand sheme of things it doesnt matter.

The Observer

The "Barca style" is the biggest myth in football. When you have the 2 most cutting edge central midfielders in modern football history who can assist more than 20 goals a season each, one of them being an all time great dribbling midfielder on top of it, coupled with the best right back in modern football history with endless energy and the passing ability of elite midfielders who is also capable of putting up 20 assist a season, coupled with a young Messi and 2 supporting strikers on the wings who can score 20 goals a season each from that position, then you can pull "Barca style" off.

If you attempt it with any other player combinations you'll end up like van Gaal at Manchester United with lots of pointless possession and sideway passing getting countered into oblivion.

I can only imagine how the cutting edge with this style would look once Messi is also hanging up his boots. Literally van Gaal @ United.

mc_lovin

I wish we get back to rijkaard type football rather than chasing peps style.

Again, it all comes down to our frontline. Rijkjaard football with this setup would look just as shit. Its not a philosophy issue. Just a massive failure of our transfer policy.

Last edited:

FC433

I personally enjoy Klopp and Zidane's football. Fast, fluid and lots of different crosses when teams get defensive. I do not really enjoy possession-based football.

serghei

I personally enjoy Klopp and Zidane's football. Fast, fluid and lots of different crosses when teams get defensive. I do not really enjoy possession-based football.

Klopp and Zidane are very different. Klopp is more similar to Pep than Zidane.

Home of Barca Fans