Copa: Ibiza - Barca 1-2

Slevinn

Agreed.

I just hope Setien doesn't persist with this formation. Against dross at the Nou Camp sure, but against any respectable side and we'd get destroyed.

Against Valencia I want to see 4 at the back. Anything other than that and we'd risk a drubbing.
Its how you fill in the players roles. Against a team playing with 2 strikers, 3 at the back would make sense. Just not the 3 that we saw today.

Sorin

Its how you fill in the players roles. Against a team playing with 2 strikers, 3 at the back would make sense. Just not the 3 that we saw today.

Well yeah, but what happens when you face a team with great wingers? With the current players we have it's suicide as their main weakness is 1 vs 1 duels.

Of course it would work against certain teams but we do need different players for this kind of formation to work more often.

Centauri B

Agreed.

I just hope Setien doesn't persist with this formation. Against dross at the Nou Camp sure, but against any respectable side and we'd get destroyed.

Against Valencia I want to see 4 at the back. Anything other than that and we'd risk a drubbing.

If we play 3-4-3 against Valencia, we lose. It's that simple.

terryzinc

a couple posters on here really hate 3 atb
well under valverde we had 2 not 4 atb we had 2cbs at the back and the rb lb were playing like lw rw or lm rm
3 atb means we actually have 1 more defender than normal we need to do something to shut down the goal leaking 3 atb is better than 2 atb the problem is we need 3 mobile CBS atb we are playing with 2 slow CBs and an RB at the back

mc_lovin

a couple posters on here really hate 3 atb
well under valverde we had 2 not 4 atb we had 2cbs at the back and the rb lb were playing like lw rw or lm rm
3 atb means we actually have 1 more defender than normal we need to do something to shut down the goal leaking 3 atb is better than 2 atb the problem is we need 3 mobile CBS atb we are playing with 2 slow CBs and an RB at the back

Semantics, with 4atb (or 2atb how you called it) the game becomes much more structured. The centrebacks are closer to each other, the roles on the wings are better defined etc pp. We dont have the players for a decent 3-4-3/3-5-2 anyway.

Slevinn

Well yeah, but what happens when you face a team with great wingers? With the current players we have it's suicide as their main weakness is 1 vs 1 duels.

Of course it would work against certain teams but we do need different players for this kind of formation to work more often.
Well thats for Setien to figure out but for example: you can play with 3 atb when you have the ball and when you loose it Alba drops back so you defend with 4 atb.
Wont work against Liverpool but we can switch between a 433 and 343 very quick and once the players master the system it will go much smoother I hope.

Pepsbarca

Semantics, with 4atb (or 2atb how you called it) the game becomes much more structured. The centrebacks are closer to each other, the roles on the wings are better defined etc pp. We dont have the players for a decent 3-4-3/3-5-2 anyway.

This isn’t really true. You can run any formation and have it structured and have the roles defined. It is going to take more then a week or two for the new manager to install a different structure into the team. In the meantime, there’s every chance that we’ll look out of sorts and we won’t look fluid until the players get the structure ingrained into them.

It’ll require a little patience as we work through the growing pains.

Pepsbarca

Well thats for Setien to figure out but for example: you can play with 3 atb when you have the ball and when you loose it Alba drops back so you defend with 4 atb.
Wont work against Liverpool but we can switch between a 433 and 343 very quick and once the players master the system it will go much smoother I hope.

That’s the key. We need the players to master the system before things go much smoother. Those that were expecting immediate changes to how we played are expecting something that was never going to happen.

Nucky

Awful match but Griezmann saved us with a brace. Can't blame Setien for bad perfomances, he can't change anything over night, players need time to adapt to his system. Though I got a bad feeling for sathurday at Mestalla. Even with Setien we still suck on away games.

JohnN

Couldn't watch the match but the feeling is we were bad. From the lineup this seemed like super experimental.
I saw Antoine on the right? How did he play?

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
1. Poor lighting - Reminded me of a secondary school pitch with inadequate lighting, I have not seen a night match like this before at this level. Embarrassing from the Primera Liga

2. Pitch - Between the ridiculous artificial turf and the water that had made it even slicker, can't draw too many conclusions against a side that regularly plays in such conditions

3. Refereeing - Nothing new here from the RFEF, they are abhorrent when it comes to Barca in general but permitting a small side from a lower division to have an advantage by not booking them was ridiculous. Even if you ignore the two legitimate penalty shouts or the red card for bulldozing Fati late, the accumulation of cynical & thuggish fouling was appalling. Eventhough Ibiza ended up with 5 bookings from 23 fouls that were called, they didn't receive their 1st until the 61st minute and 2nd when the game was already back in Barcelona's favor highlighting the fact that refs helped Ibiza for the majority of the match. It was scandalous again from the RFEF

I'm not too concerned about Puig's performance, even if I agreed that it was on balance disappointing - he is absolutely ready for the 1st team. I'm more concerned about Firpo & Semedo, two fullbacks who have not had much continuity at Barcelona but rarely make the most of their opportunities even now under a different coach

Fati is 17, I was very impressed overall with him

gregorrin10

1. Poor lighting - Reminded me of a secondary school pitch with inadequate lighting, I have not seen a night match like this before at this level. Embarrassing from the Primera Liga

2. Pitch - Between the ridiculous artificial turf and the water that had made it even slicker, can't draw too many conclusions against a side that regularly plays in such conditions

3. Refereeing - Nothing new here from the RFEF, they are abhorrent when it comes to Barca in general but permitting a small side from a lower division to have an advantage by not booking them was ridiculous. Even if you ignore the two legitimate penalty shouts or the red card for bulldozing Fati late, the accumulation of cynical & thuggish fouling was appalling. Eventhough Ibiza ended up with 5 bookings from 23 fouls that were called, they didn't receive their 1st until the 61st minute and 2nd when the game was already back in Barcelona's favor highlighting the fact that refs helped Ibiza for the majority of the match. It was scandalous again from the RFEF

I'm not too concerned about Puig's performance, even if I agreed that it was on balance disappointing - he is absolutely ready for the 1st team. I'm more concerned about Firpo & Semedo, two fullbacks who have not had much continuity at Barcelona but rarely make the most of their opportunities even now under a different coach

Fati is 17, I was very impressed overall with him

That bump into Neto, when he injured his ankle, was especially disgusting...and how they started running back like crazy the second the foul was called without even apologizing to Neto or making sure he was okay. Was so satisfying to see them crumble to the ground in the end after Griezmann's winner goal.

Home of Barca Fans