Lliga | Round 20: FC Barcelona - Granada 1-0

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Think we'll win big but as someone said; this is a type of matches we win anyways.

Suarez out may be blessing in disguise as we need to prepare to replace him anyway and he is probably worst player to play in Setien's system with his rapist first touch.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
This is the sort of match where we ran riot and played some decent football even under Valverde. Valencia away next week will be the first test for Setien.

Valencia is a bit early imo to be considered a test. Id say Napoli away would be a great test . By then he will have a good full month with team without the home tie being played aswell.

Last edited:

serghei

It's not about winning big. We've won big home games with Ernie too, it's bound to do it when we meat small teams at home. It's how we do it. We're gonna win with some golazos from our star players (Messi, Griezmann) like we've been doing it with Valverde, or we will win tiki-taka style like in our best days of positional game.

I am for one going to look at this game from a purely tactical perspective, to see some differences. Midfield dynamics is where there is most room to grow, as this part has been crap under Valverde. That and fullback roles should improve.

Last edited:

bismp

It's not about winning big. We've won big home games with Ernie too, it's bound to do it when we meat small teams at home. It's how we do it. We're gonna win with some golazos from our star players (Messi, Griezmann) like we've been doing it with Valverde, or we will win tiki-taka style like in our best days of positional game.

I am for one going to look at this game from a purely tactical perspective, to see some differences. Midfield dynamics is where there is most room to grow, as this part has been crap under Valverde. That and fullback roles should improve.

Serghei,I think you are a little bit too optimistic about Setien's short term impact on the team's tactics and performance. Even the best coach in the world cannot implement his ideas in just a few days,especially in the middle of the season and especially when a big proportion of the players may not be willing to change their game easily.

Here in my country(Greece),it is REALLY common to change the coach midseason(sometimes the teams end up with 3 different coaches throughout the season),so we have seen how things usually go(most of the times,the team performs roughly as bad as before or just a little better.It is also common to see a short-term boost,just because of the psychological "shock").

This phenomenon rarely happens in Europe's top teams.You may say that Setien and Barca's players have a far superior tactical understanding of the game than the coaches and players in Greece,which is of course true(though many Spanish coaches of Setien's stature and accolades have worked in Greece to be honest),however the basic idea still stands.

In other words,you can't expect of Setien to change Barca overnight.Beating the likes of Granada in Camp Nou playing relatively beautiful football is nothing special...EV,Tata and Roura have also done it.

We should see how and if he can change the team tactically and urge the players to try more in 4-5 weeks time IMO.

serghei

Serghei,I think you are a little bit too optimistic about Setien's short term impact on the team's tactics and performance. Even the best coach in the world cannot implement his ideas in just a few days,especially in the middle of the season and especially when a big proportion of the players may not be willing to change their game easily.

Here in my country(Greece),it is REALLY common to change the coach midseason(sometimes the teams end up with 3 different coaches throughout the season),so we have seen how things usually go(most of the times,the team performs roughly as bad as before or just a little better.It is also common to see a short-term boost,just because of the psychological "shock").

This phenomenon rarely happens in Europe's top teams.You may say that Setien and Barca's players have a far superior tactical understanding of the game than the coaches and players in Greece,which is of course true(though many Spanish coaches of Setien's stature and accolades have worked in Greece to be honest),however the basic idea still stands.

In other words,you can't expect of Setien to change Barca overnight.Beating the likes of Granada in Camp Nou playing relatively beautiful football is nothing special...EV,Tata and Roura have also done it.

We should see how and if he can change the team tactically and urge the players to try more in 4-5 weeks time IMO.

Not all his ideas, but some should still show through. Especially considering that he is managing a team whose players naturally fit the style of Setien.

Beating Granada at Camp Nou is not something special, I said it isn't, but I would be looking at some tactical improvements that weren't there under EV not even against these teams.

devo901

no one can teach / implement a revolutionary system in 4 days we all know that, however, I wish and I expect to see more energy on the field, now that the handbreak is released. Hope should be re-established, as things can develop to the better! Even on this board this can be seen, maybe we see the same dynamic in the team.

If player consider the team leader a "lame duck", then this drains energy - instead of creating new energy.

Cant wait until Sunday!!!

serghei

Setien's system might be revolutionary someplace else, but at Barcelona it would be a return to what most players already know best.

terryzinc

Haven't been this excited for a game in a long time.

the problem is the sone of the players are out of shape to successfully play this system or too slow to successfully play the system even if they were in shape they might not fit that well cause not of the style....

gregorrin10

Sunday is finally here. Felt like the longest wait ever. Now counting down the hours. Considering they're in training now, I expect the match day squad to be released in a little while, so we have that to make the waiting for the game easier too. As for the expectations, I'm fully with [MENTION=15262]serghei[/MENTION] on this, like he said:

It's the little things, and noticing the first signs of a system forming, you know that thing that didn't exist at all under ''It is what it is.'' And some actual positional play taking place, not just players running like headless chicken all over the place (the definition of Vidal, I know, but Setien said that he had a talk with him and told him exactly what he expects from him, and that Vidal actually showed that in training, so now it's all about taking that to the games as well) and just looking to Messi and shoving the ball to him, waiting for him to pull out something magical. Also wanting to see some more urgency and obviously pace in our gameplay overall.

Last edited:

JohnN

Wait until every EV lover crucifies Setien if we don't play amazingly in his first game, even though they supported Valverde while we played shit for 3 years.
You heard it here first!!

serghei

Wait until every EV lover crucifies Setien if we don't play amazingly in his first game, even though they supported Valverde while we played shit for 3 years.
You heard it here first!!

I couldn't care less. :lol:

It's time to torture the Valverde camp with some beautiful football.

Home of Barca Fans