Lliga | Round 20: FC Barcelona - Granada 1-0

behindbrowneyes

Vidal needs to stay, today he was clearly one of the best. Don't Forget Guardiola signed him for Bayern and he played 47 games that season with him. He is more inteligent in the field than it looks. His 1st touch and passing skills are not perfect but not as bad as some say and he compensates with his tackling qualities which no one in the squad have.

Pep didn't sign him. He was a signing of the board, mainly by Reschke (he also brought Vidal to Europe when he was technical director of Leverkusen) who convinced Rummenigge that they need this type of player. Pep wasn't happy with the signing because Vidal is the antithesis to his rolemodel of a midfielder.
Vidal disabused Pep with his will to win.
However, if I had to choose between Vidal and Rakitic I'd take Vidal any day. Vidal makes something happen and has an impact to the game while Rakitic is just a tag-along. I agree with you that he needs to stay.

Vilarrubi

Not seen every pass map under Valverde but the ones I remember didn’t look like this.

[tw]1219267713325064194[/tw]

messi2140

6racies Xavi
LMAO Raktic with 3 thick lines to Alba , Busi and Umtiti. Backpass Maestro

Only Roberto seems to be getting close with his backpasses to Pique. Early days but it's good to see the midfield having the majority of the ball and touches.

Last edited:

serghei

Incredible structure.

Yea. Positionally we were great. What we need to work on is fitness and speed. Hence the intense trainings probably. The new staff probably noticed the poor shape of the squad. Valverde left us in terrible phisical shape. I hope to never see a Barca manager again who says fitness is not important. What a downright retarded thing to say.

devo901

Not seen every pass map under Valverde but the ones I remember didn’t look like this.

[tw]1219267713325064194[/tw]
This is very interesting. One thing that I realized how rarely Fati is involved. Roberto for example rather plays the ball to back to Pique instead of link up with Fati. Now asking Roberto he might say - "Fati was not positioned well" .... but it is also trust, I think this will change over time with some more games.

FCMessi

Neither Griezmann nor Fati could cut into the middle for curlers or drive down the wings.

Guess that was too difficult for some to figure out.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
This is very interesting. One thing that I realized how rarely Fati is involved. Roberto for example rather plays the ball to back to Pique instead of link up with Fati. Now asking Roberto he might say - "Fati was not positioned well" .... but it is also trust, I think this will change over time with some more games.

You don’t make that kind of pass if you are playing possession-based football through the center. Makes it easier to press Fati since he would be getting the ball on the wing with his back to goal.

serghei

You don’t make that kind of pass if you are playing possession-based football through the center. Makes it easier to press Fati since he would be getting the ball on the wing with his back to goal.

Yea, CB -> fullback -> winger progression is the worst. It basically ends with the winger trying to force his way in a solo effort vs at least 2 opponents, most common the opposing team's lateral midfielder + the corresponding fullback.

Last edited:

devo901

:thinking: What role did Fati/or a winger in general have in this possession-center football concept? Someone should give him balls - or is the fact that he did get only that few balls part of the concept? Thanks...

Last edited:

behindbrowneyes

:thinking: What role did Fati/or a winger in general have in this possession-center football concept? Someone should give him balls - or is the fact that he did get only that few balls part of the concept? Thanks...

Fati was there to provide width because Roberto played an Abidal-like role as RCB. Alba was the left "winger".
With Griezmann, Messi and Vidal there was a lot of traffic in the middle and the targeted pass to Alba or Fati should open the room and then get the ball from the outside (Alba, Fati) in front of the goal again. Other players didn't involve Alba and Fati enough for my taste. With more training that should come from alone because I'm pretty sure Setién wants them more involved.

devo901

Fati was there to provide width because Roberto played an Abidal-like role as RCB. Alba was the left "winger".
With Griezmann, Messi and Vidal there was a lot of traffic in the middle and the targeted pass to Alba or Fati should open the room and then get the ball from the outside (Alba, Fati) in front of the goal again. Other players didn't involve Alba and Fati enough for my taste. With more training that should come from alone because I'm pretty sure Setién wants them more involved.

Thanks, does not sound very "possession oriented"-specific , ordenary winger-role.... or do i miss here something?
So winger should use the width of the pitch, stretch the defensive line, bridge the last thirty metres to the goal and then deliver a ball, either in front of the keeper or in the back of the defense .... cant remember this happening once... that is what Alba combining with Messi and like twice a match - but not really from Fati, yesterday... well with no balls...hard to pull this off.

Home of Barca Fans