Quique Setien is Barca new coach!

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
960x0.jpg

On January 15, Barca officially appointed Quique Setien as new coach.

Setien admitted that ‘not even in my wildest dreams would I have dreamed [of] this’.
‘I am a very emotional person and I face this challenge with a hope that I will try to transmit to the players because we all know that we depend on them. I want to convey that confidence and desire to win,’ said Setien. ‘Yesterday I was walking by the cows in my village and today I am here next to the best players in the world ...This is the best,’ he beamed.

‘I listen to everyone but I have my ideas ...You know my ideas, my way of playing, and if I have to die by them I will...we will try to get the best performance from the players,’ he vowed.

Setien revealed that his goal, ‘without a doubt’ is ‘to win everything that can be won’. ‘This club has no other way but to improve itself every year and get the maximum possible titles in addition to playing well. I think the best way to victory is to play well,’ he said.

A known admirer of Messi, and not just Cruyff, Setien pointed out that he now begins ‘training the best player in the world (Messi) and his teammates’.

‘I'm still not aware of what it means. We [he and his staff] have talked with him and some others, but I have already told him: “One thing is the admiration I have for you”...Messi is Messi, Busquets is Busquets, Piqué is Piqué, but each one must know his place. You will see that I am a direct and sincere person, I don’t beat around the bush and I will address something if I see it.’

‘We have spent many hours analyzing this team, even when we faced them [at Real Betis], and we think that there are things that can be improved and [things] that can be kept,’ Setien pointed out.

Bartomeu confirming that Setien’s contract runs until 2021, when a new, incoming president such as Victor Font could replace him with close friend Xavi, Setien did not rule out changes to the classic 4-3-3 formation - especially when considering that striker Luis Suarez has been ruled out for four months.

‘The important thing is the philosophy, to be clear about the way we play,’ it was said on this matter.

‘I don’t have titles or an extensive curriculum, but [what I do have is that] I love this philosophy and my teams have played football very well. And that is the only thing I can guarantee, that the team will play well,’ he finished.

Andresito

Staff member
Without knowing what's been said in detail, don't the new coaches always say the same things?
Tactics are possession based, trust in youth, everybody need to earn their place, Messi is the GOAT?

Vilarrubi

Without knowing what's been said in detail, don't the new coaches always say the same things?
Tactics are possession based, trust in youth, everybody need to earn their place, Messi is the GOAT?

They do but I feel Setien actually has a philosophy and will do his best to implement it. Didn’t get that vibe from Tata/Lucho/Valverde, even though Lucho ended up winning everything in the end.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
His words are music to my ears, better late than never but thrilled he is finally here. I have not been this excited to see Barcelona play for a long time

HT1214

"everybody need to earn their place" i hope it's true.

FinBarcelonafan

His words are music to my ears, better late than never but thrilled he is finally here. I have not been this excited to see Barcelona play for a long time

True. He made more interesting interviews in one day with Barca than Valverde during 2,5 years.. Says enough.

Raki13

Like many signings this board has made in the last few years , its crazy and bizarre.

Hopefully it works out.

JerseyAddict

Normal all this enthusiasm among users for this coach?

Anyway, curious to see new Barca.
Good luck Quique.

I know jack shit about Quique... But lets face it... Everybody was fed up with "it is what it is" EV. That is a a philosophy for some 3rd division team coach.

BarcaNitro

Quique Setien is a good coach, but he should've worked with the team a full pre-season and transfer window. It's good we made this move, but we should've done it earlier.

Home of Barca Fans