Quique Setien

mc_lovin

But I already see excuses: this season is lost. Nobody is expecting any trophies, all we want is a nice-eye-pleasing play, lol.

EV came in a similar situation: a team who lost La Liga, a laughing stock in a CL, and we lost Neymar.
EV had a streak of 40 unbeaten matches, won 2 La Ligas and is still labelled as the biggest cancer and the worst coach in our history.
Yet, I can already see: Setien will lose La Liga, he will have 5-6 wins in 10 matches, but if he'll play Riki Puig, he will get a pass, lol.

Double standards?

More like your very own double standards. For most here Setien starts at zero, nothing more, nothing less. If he doesnt win anything he should (and probably will) be gone after 6 months. And thats fair enough, he doesnt start here as Guardiola 2.0 like you try to sell.

Valverde (as grateful as I am for his first season) was a complete shitshow after that. Maybe I would be more lenient towards him if I didnt watch 99% of our games (fuck me). His 2nd season was as average as it gets in terms of coaching (and his 3rd even worse), in what world is that enough for us? Have the same standards for him as you have for our players.

KingLeo10

And lol, in 4 years we were never once humiliated in the CL under Pep.

BBZ thinks EV is Ancelotti or Jupp and some CL wizard. He's won 0 big ties in the CL.

He's such trash he even managed to get humiliated v run of the mill Roma in the CL.

Something that would never happen to Rijkaard, Pep, or Lucho.

MTL_Barca

EV has earned something in his early days: results.

His first La Liga matches in his first season:
Betis 2:0
Alaves 2:0
Espanyol 5:0
Getafe 2:1
Eibar 6:1
Girona 3:0
Las Palmas 3:0
Atletico 1:1**
Malaga 2:0
Bilbao 2:0
Sevilla 2:1
Leganes 3:0

Juve 3:0
Sporting 1:0
Olympiacos 3:1
Olympiacos 0:0**

In his first 16 official matches AFTER Spanish Supercup, EV had 14 wins and 2 draws (Atletico 1:1 and Olympiacos 0:0).
Goal difference: 40:5
Clean sheets: 11 times in 16 matches.

Ev took a team which lost 0:4 to Psg and 0:3 to Juve in a previous season, and who lost La Liga to RM.
Also, we lost Neymar and started a season weakened.
So, a coach has actually IMPROVED our team from a previous era (the last 18 Months under Lucho when we were declining).

So, EV didn't earn credits out of nowhere.
EV had a run of 40 matches in a row in La liga and a CL in 2017/18 without defeats.
Then he lost to Roma 3:0 and Levante 5:4.

If Setien will be able to produce anything similar, I will defend him all the way.

But I already see excuses: this season is lost. Nobody is expecting any trophies, all we want is a nice-eye-pleasing play, lol.

EV came in a similar situation: a team who lost La Liga, a laughing stock in a CL, and we lost Neymar.
EV had a streak of 40 unbeaten matches, won 2 La Ligas and is still labelled as the biggest cancer and the worst coach in our history.
Yet, I can already see: Setien will lose La Liga, he will have 5-6 wins in 10 matches, but if he'll play Riki Puig, he will get a pass, lol.

Double standards?

But you seem to be rooting against Setien before he even had his first game. Just judging by your posts here it looks like you want him to fail just to be proven right.

If he starts with good results, will you then go into full on defender mode like with Valverde?

I'm personally not sure what to think of Setien yet myself. He showed nice and quite successful football with small teams but we all know it's hard to do the same at a higher level. Taking over in the middle of the season also doesn't make it easier, as well as the flaws of the squad we all know about.

It's worth a try though imo and getting rid of Valverde was the right thing. I also don't think Barca would've won la liga especially without Suarez, and the CL humiliation number 3 was also bound to happen so i don't have high standards for the rest of the season. Playing a bit better looking football would already be a huge improvement.

Last edited:

Centauri B

It works both way:
WHOM did Pep beat in his 4 years here out of big guns, without a help from refs in KO matches?

This is some proper BS that Barca-haters have been serving for years. We had more calls against us than for us in the CL during those years.

devo901

In his first 16 official matches AFTER Spanish Supercup, EV had 14 wins and 2 draws (Atletico 1:1 and Olympiacos 0:0).

Ev took a team which lost 0:4 to Psg and 0:3 to Juve in a previous season, and who lost La Liga to RM.
So, a coach has actually IMPROVED our team from a previous era (the last 18 Months under Lucho when we were declining).

EV had a run of 40 matches in a row in La liga and a CL in 2017/18 without defeats.

If Setien will be able to produce anything similar, I will defend him all the way.

Double standards?

OK, EV had a winning streak when he started. But hold on - is it possible that EV had no active influence in this? I do belive so... EVs coaching style /philosophy (lol!) can be seen only after a while, and then of course in tough games. Except Juve there was no big win. (cough Athletic 1:1)
So this winning streak might show that he was a nice bloke in the locker room - but good manager needs more than this. Leadership, clear decisions, demonstrating strenght in tough moments, ... and developing new players. Overcoming defeats phsychologically.... ALL these skills he lacked.

What I saw is that he entered the locker room saying - "Amigos, do what you like doing, I wont interfere." that is one way how to avoid conflicts with messi and co - but when the shit hits the fan, desaster (rom, anfield, copa) happen easily. Not to mention the way how to talked about FDJ and the red card.

EV lacked various skills and that became obvious over time. That is OK, but he did not learn or improve - and this is where I have to say this is a no-go.

KingLeo10

Imagine thinking Pep only won in CL due to refs when everyone, including opposition fans, unanimously agrees that Guardiola's Barca is one of the top 3 greatest club sides of all time.

Just BBZ things.

Lmao. Don't take EV's dismissal too hard, dawg. I'm sure cable subscription to the Greek super league isn't that hard to obtain.

El Guaje

Double standards?

Woah woah woah, wait a sec. Fraudverde LOST Neymar you say and started out the season weakened because of it. Didnt you keep saying for months that Neymar is a clown, he fucks up the team, the attacks, he looses all balls etc? And when it fits your agenda to defend Fraudverde, Neymar is suddenly good?

Yeah Fraudverde managed to grind the results and it looks good if you only look at the numbers. The fans who were watching the games know we played like shit most of the time and that the numbers look so good just because of individual brilliance mainly from Messi and MaTS who saved Fraudverdes ass countless times.

Yeah he took over a team that lost against the likes of PSG and Juve and made them so good they lost two 3 goal leads TWICE!!!! Against Roma out of all teams. Jesus christ. Also made the team so good they couldnt win comfortably against bottom teams in the league and the likes of Slavia in CL.

El Guaje

My expectations (or hopes) for him:
1) Build a functioning midfield, not the shit Valverde served with his overuse of fullbacks. The quality is there to have an exciting midfield (in contrast to our average defense).
2) Find a good setup in attack. Hopefully with Messi in the center and Griezmann on the right. Will be pretty rough without a true 9, but hopefully doable.
3) Make the squad players feel important. Malcom for example was still a 40ME rated player when he left us, you cant tell me freezing him out like Valverde did was fair game. Same for Alena, Junior etc pp, even if not worldclass.

Insane how badly he was treated. Scored a few important goals and had pretty good games and yet he was treated like shit. Worst time was when he produced a MOTM performance with a goal against Real Madrid and his reward was the bench for a whole month. How incredible.

Vilarrubi

If these are true, thank fuck we might finally see a functioning midfield. Good signs already. Also about us playing out from the back, that’s definitely in relation to games where we get pressed high and collapse under pressure (Liverpool/Roma)

[tw]1217068072537710595[/tw]

Home of Barca Fans