Quique Setien

Hardy

Did he ever actually say that? :lol:

yes, before game with Getafe

"I never give much importance to physical preparation, it is a very ethereal way of influencing the team," Valverde said. "When you win it is that you are well and when not, it is that you do not work for it.

"No one really understands physical preparation, it is about getting ready. It is true that there are setbacks, more than we would like, but it is what it is. I don't blame the preseason or anything like that. We are at Barca and we know what we have to do."

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
EOgjvrYXUAEdeaM

SeloBarca

Quique Setién: “What I always want from my team is to play well. If my team wins 1-0 without playing well I will be happy to get three points and because I know most people will be satisfied, but I will go home disappointed because that is not enough for me. Luck is a part of football, but if you do things well you'll always have a better chance to win.”

Also "For lots of people, its enough just winning, but i got here thinking another way"

BBZ nightmare

Sailor Mars

According to Moises Llorens this happened in the first training session.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/barcelo...dugout?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Great article in the link. It does note that there were eventually 2 camps at the end of Valverde's tenure. Those that supported Valverde unconditionally (mostly the older players like Pique and Messi), and a 2nd group that thought Valverde's training wasn't intense and he was too hands off.

Hope Setien brings some structure to this team.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Photos like these show that Setien genuinely feels passionate about his Barca appointment.It must be a great feeling to have a chance to coach Barca in your 60s after years with mediocre teams.

Wish him the best

Seeing him participating in the rondos with the players is something. He doesn't move like a 61-year-old. :worthy:

[tw]1218295212218507266[/tw]

devo901

"I never give much importance to physical preparation, it is a very ethereal way of influencing the team," Valverde said. "When you win it is that you are well and when not, it is that you do not work for it.

"No one really understands physical preparation, it is about getting ready. It is true that there are setbacks, more than we would like, but it is what it is. I don't blame the preseason or anything like that. We are at Barca and we know what we have to do."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercompensation does not exist in Valverdes univers. Being ready is not "ethereal" but training is... either he was trolling the journalists or this was a joke...

tacticvarium

"Sources explain that Valverde remained well liked by the squad, but two factions had developed: those who supported him almost unconditionally and those who thought the training wasn't intense enough and his style was a little too hands-off. The likes of Messi and Pique were in the first camp, both players posting messages of gratitude since Valverde's dismissal. Some of the younger players and the new signings were in the second camp."

One of many reasons why Messi is such a horrible leader. Márquez, Puyol, Xavi etc. would never tolerate such complacency grow among the seniors/star players. They surely won't be able to fix the problem (as seen in 2007-08 season) but they won't also defend and justify a lack of intensity and hunger in the locker room and training. Messi is probably the greatest double-edged sword athlete in history:lol: He can be the reason why his team keeps winning but at the same time, he can also be one of the reasons why his team can't play more ambitious, hungry and dynamic football. Sadly, Ter Stegen and FDJ are probably the only captain materials left in the current squad. Suárez, Raki, Vidal must be sold in the summer and I hope the club signs real competitive players to send Busi, Roberto and Piqué to the bench (since these two won't be sold soon anyways).

Last edited:

Messigician

This intense training is dumb and stinks of mid table mediocrity.

Renowned hard man David Moyes came to United and ruined many of the players such as Van Persie with his brutal training methods.

Under 30 year olds fine this training can work well like Poch showed but once a certain age is reached it doesn't work anymore like spurs showed this season.

This type of training will kill Messi, Pique, Vidal etc. It's not sustainable in the long run and I am worried it may make Messi injury prone and accelerate the end of his career.

One of the best things about EV was that he got the best out of Messi and knew how to handle him and keep him happy.

KingLeo10

This intense training is dumb and stinks of mid table mediocrity.

Renowned hard man David Moyes came to United and ruined many of the players such as Van Persie with his brutal training methods.

Under 30 year olds fine this training can work well like Poch showed but once a certain age is reached it doesn't work anymore like spurs showed this season.

This type of training will kill Messi, Pique, Vidal etc. It's not sustainable in the long run and I am worried it may make Messi injury prone and accelerate the end of his career.

One of the best things about EV was that he got the best out of Messi and knew how to handle him and keep him happy.
[MENTION=2]Barcaman[/MENTION], please ban this troll already.

EV got the best out of Messi? Lmao. Messi had scored 500 Barca goals before EV managed to luck into the Barca job.

Home of Barca Fans