Quique Setien

LeeRomeno

Very well managed game I must say. I haven't been impressed with him at all this season, but today everything made sense, we played well, subs were made at right time, could also respond to Villareal tactically.

soul24rage

Gotta say, lots of credit to this man.

-Changed the system that suited better for our best players (Wish the change happened sooner than today though)
-Made the right subs in the right moments
-Dominated the majority of the match. (Best match of Setien's reign by far)

Although, we need to work on defensive transitions which I hope Setien will work on.

This game reminds me of the Atletico match in 2015 at home where the MSN clicked.
Hopefully, today's match is the turning point.

serghei

Very well managed game I must say. I haven't been impressed with him at all this season, but today everything made sense, we played well, subs were made at right time, could also respond to Villareal tactically.

Yea. Best away performance of the season considering the opposition and the chances created. Could have scored 7 today.

JamDav1982

It fucking boggles the mind that it took EV or Setien to play this way until now.

Clearly suits the players better than trying to force an old Suarez to play CF on his own and Griezmann playing as a touchline winger.

soul24rage

It fucking boggles the mind that it took EV or Setien to play this way until now.

Clearly suits the players better than trying to force an old Suarez to play CF on his own and Griezmann playing as a touchline winger.

Yeah, the blueprint was already there in the Argentina NT.
Hopefully, Setien sticks to it.

bismp

To be fair,Villarreal’s defense was really shaky and their line was quite high up the pitch

JamDav1982

To be fair,Villarreal’s defense was really shaky and their line was quite high up the pitch

Teams have been playing a high line for months v Barca with Success.

Villareal couldnt as too much movement and options.

Messi, Suarez and Griezmann destroyed them.

soul24rage

Villareal was one of the in-form teams after the restart with a CL spot to catch.

I think we did well especially with the form that we were going in.

Let's see what happens in the next few matches.

Morten

What is it with you guys and your obsession with Mourinho? Are you unaware of his past? Mourinho prefers older, experienced players over younger ones.

Not even a long time ago he said Rakitic was one of the best midfielders in the World.

He would probably bring in Fellaini, so, midfield of Rakitic - Fellaini, and the last one im not sure about.

Latschenkiefer

I really like your positive thinking cules attitude guys but let's not get carried away on this one.
Today's game was a good game but that was mostly due to the pressureless situation and the big spaces left by Villarreal who actually tried to win the game and were open to take risks in order to gain three points to secure the EL and maybe reach the CL next year. In the past we have often played good against midtable teams who didn't park the bus. But these busses are the biggest problem. The only proven tool we have to break them up is Messi which can't work out all the time. An opposing high line when the ball is in our half doesn't mean they don't park the bus as soon as the ball gets to Messi who is waiting a few meteres behind the half way line and slows the game down.
We also have tried high positioned fullbacks covered by CMs in the past. Rakitic behind Roberto comes to mind and it was absolutely terrible to watch how we got slaughtered on the counter by better teams.
I am all in for different systems and approaches and it feels that it can only get better at this point but please don't jump the hypetrain the minute we win a game again.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
Dont know how he did it but he turned it around and made the team look good today. Players werent gassed, looked happy and played well.

He wins some coins.

KingLeo10

Dont know how he did it but he turned it around and made the team look good today. Players werent gassed, looked happy and played well.

He wins some coins.

won't be happy about this.

Horatio

You're welcome
I really like your positive thinking cules attitude guys but let's not get carried away on this one.
Today's game was a good game but that was mostly due to the pressureless situation and the big spaces left by Villarreal who actually tried to win the game and were open to take risks in order to gain three points to secure the EL and maybe reach the CL next year. In the past we have often played good against midtable teams who didn't park the bus. But these busses are the biggest problem. The only proven tool we have to break them up is Messi which can't work out all the time. An opposing high line when the ball is in our half doesn't mean they don't park the bus as soon as the ball gets to Messi who is waiting a few meteres behind the half way line and slows the game down.
We also have tried high positioned fullbacks covered by CMs in the past. Rakitic behind Roberto comes to mind and it was absolutely terrible to watch how we got slaughtered on the counter by better teams.
I am all in for different systems and approaches and it feels that it can only get better at this point but please don't jump the hypetrain the minute we win a game again.

I mostly agree and I always said the same about how we look best against sub-top teams that will play to attack. However, this game showed a lot of creativity and movement from the players. Also Villareal basically parked bus in second half and we were finding ways into their box creating chances.

My theory is we played well because players know they bottled the league and are playing without pressure. Forget the age issue, this team actually has great quality. It?s all just held back because of mental issues. Pressure, responsibility, no fighting spirit etc.

Tackle

Encouraging signs. League is done and dusted, but if we can build from this maybe we can put together a decent run in the CL. Need to see it in more than one match though because we have a history of playing some good football against Villarreal in previous seasons only to return to our regular ways in following matches.

Home of Barca Fans