Quique Setien

KingLeo10

I'd rather have a bumpy ride but see things moving towards some improvements, than pretend for years everything is fine while hiding behind Messi's numbers and waiting for the first big team we face to trash us in Europe.

Nothing gets me more furious than the EV cartwheelers coming in with that smug "But let Setien win 2 LL and a copa in 2.5 years". Forgetting, that EV had the luxury of Messi scoring 95 goals in 100 games in those 2 seasons and Suarez scoring 60. Setien could be a bust but this pining for EV has to be met with bans from the moderator staff IMO.

FinBarcelonafan

[tw]1221118301750861826[/tw]

Clearly a disconnect between him and players, dawg.

At least he acknowledges we played a million useless passes and today's performance was horrendous.

Ev would have just said "this is football" or something like that.

This is positive sign to me. He knows we played shit football. Valverde was clueless most of the time.

Sorin

Setien deserves a lot of criticisms

-playing 3 ATB
-No forward runs from the midfield
-not playing inverted wingers with Fati and Griezmann.

Honestly think that with Suarez injured, this is the best lineup for me for the remainder of the season.

MATS---Semedo, Pique, Umtiti, Alba---Vidal, FDJ, Arthur---Dembele, Messi, Griezmann

Whenever Messi drops deep (and he always drops deep even when Suarez played), Vidal will occupy the forward position.

For me, we played the best football in the 2nd half today in Setien's 3 games with that tactic.

Semedo and Dembele work really well together which is why I opt to put Griezmann at LW.

This is exactly my stance on this.

While i do get that Setien doesn't have a "magic wand" and he does need a little bit of time before judging him, the fact that today he went into the game with the same 3 at the back, with goddamn Roberto as the 3 CB, is ridiculous. How can you watch Roberto over the years and in the 2 previous games that we played under him and decide that against Valencia, at Mestalla he will be able to cope? It's simply a shit decision as we could've been 0-2 or 0-3 at half time on the back of Roberto being a disaster in that position. Of course Pique/Umtiti/Lenglet are others with issues in this formation but Bob is atrocious.

Also, all the other players are still only passing to Messi and expect him to resolve everything. Its the same damn bullcrap that happened under Valverde. I thought he would give them freedom to play their own game instead of waiting for Messi to make magic happen. Like I said in the chat, there were a couple of good runs in the first half by Fati/Griezmann and yet our mids decided to play it safe or pass it to Messi. Of course, this way, we're predicable as shit when the opponents know where the pass will be and are able to sag off of our runners to mark Messi. Doesn't make it easy for anyone, not even Messi as he has several defenders on him at all times.

I'm still behind him but he seriously has too see the flaws and correct them. I doubt that he can do it though but we'll see.

Raketa10

Valverde lost 3 goals advantage 2 seasons in a row in CL knockout stage. That's it THE END, no further facts needed. People who think he is a good manager are delusional.

fergus90

He could definitely sack him on principle if Barca get knocked out by Napoli. Even more so if you lose the Clasico. This board is about short-term money and milking trophies as long as Messi is here. If Setien's approach costs them that, he will not finish.

This board sat back whilst Madrid 3peated the Champions League, including a league and cl double. Watched Barcelona embarrass themselves at Roma, then repeat that even worse a year later and go on to lose the Copa final a couple weeks after that.

No chance Bartomeu fires him or anyone else now until his presidency is over.

Last edited:

Raketa10

Setien deserves a lot of criticisms

-playing 3 ATB
-No forward runs from the midfield
-not playing inverted wingers with Fati and Griezmann.

Honestly think that with Suarez injured, this is the best lineup for me for the remainder of the season.

MATS---Semedo, Pique, Umtiti, Alba---Vidal, FDJ, Arthur---Dembele, Messi, Griezmann

Whenever Messi drops deep (and he always drops deep even when Suarez played), Vidal will occupy the forward position.

For me, we played the best football in the 2nd half today in Setien's 3 games with that tactic.

Semedo and Dembele work really well together which is why I opt to put Griezmann at LW.

I agree this probably is the best formation right now but will it be good enough or not is yet to bee seen. I also sincerely doubt Setien will have the balls to bench Busi and he probably likes Roberto more than Semedo.

Last edited:

Tackle

Barca won't get knocked out by Napoli. Even if we suffer in Italy, which we probably will, we'll do enough to finish them off on Camp Nou.

If Setien decides to stick with his beloved 3 ATB bollocks I would not be surprised to see Napoli stick 3 or 4 past us on a good night. That is not a surmountable deficit at the Camp Nou considering the current state Leo is in and the fact Suarez is out.

serghei

If Setien decides to stick with his beloved 3 ATB bollocks I would not be surprised to see Napoli stick 3 or 4 past us on a good night. That is not a surmountable deficit at the Camp Nou considering the current state Leo is in and the fact Suarez is out.

We'll see mate.

El Gato

Villarato!
what makes you think we will? Napoli are horrendous right now.

Don't know. Many things.
a) They have nothing to play for in the league, CL and Coppa is all they have. There's nothing else they will prepare for as hard as they will for you lot.
b) Gattuso is a reverse personality to that of Barcelona players & coach right now and it's precisely what would beat you if he gets at least a bit of it channeled into their minds at that moment. Cup ties are about seizing moments with personality. Barcelona don't have it.
c) Insecurities of several players when playing away. If Napoli manage to score 2 or 3 past you at home, park the bus at Camp Nou and survive while you dork around the box trying to find ways to get the ball to your strikers it could get very very ugly.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Yup, anything is possible with this group of players. After all this was the squad that delivered Roma and Liverpool to us.

Sorin

Btw, for 3 at the back to work you also need a wingback or winger that can do both phases at an acceptable level. Alba can do it decently enough on the left but on the other side, the side with the calamity that is Bob, it's 17yo Fati. As a manager, how can you not see the problem here and trot this out for 3 games straight?

soul24rage

Btw, for 3 at the back to work you also need a wingback or winger that can do both phases at an acceptable level. Alba can do it decently enough on the left but on the other side, the side with the calamity that is Bob, it's 17yo Fati. As a manager, how can you not see the problem here and trot this out for 3 games straight?

yeah if Setien keeps on persisting with this then Setien has to leave.

Home of Barca Fans